By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS4 really outsell the PS2?

Tagged games:

FloatingWaffles said:
Not even the Wii sold more than the PS2, so no.

And ? whats that mean exactly, wii was a fad driven product.  It not out selling the PS2 was logical, fads never last long enough and the wii really did last long as they coulndt produce enough of them to satisy the craze in its first year.  They would have sold +++50 million in a year easy if they could have produced that many but it only would have exchausted the hype that much faster. 

Around the Network

Sadly I do not think so. PS2 continued its success long after the 7th generation of consoles did with support. Unless the PS4 can continue this trend after the 9th veneration of consoles, it seems too far a goal to reach.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

No. PS2 had no real competition for a huge chunk of its lifespan. PS4 has competition (sad competition in comparison, but it is still there).

I think I'll stick with the 120 million I first thought. I doubt Morpheus will attract many casuals really, it's more directed towards the hardcore.

Kerotan said:
Ps2 ship 155m.

Around the Network

Probably not. I think it will end anywhere from Wii sales to GameBoy sales so about 100m-120m

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Landguy said:
BraLoD said:

Really? It's already over 20M, four more years like this and it's done.

The charts show that the momentum of the first 12 months has started to slow down.  Even if it maintains the sales pace for another 2 years (somewhat likely), it will start to slow down rapidly at that point.  There are and will be just too many choices for the casual crowd to support the sales rate long term.  I would guess 90 million...

chertz,.. lulz.  the fallacy in the logic is too obvious to rexplain.

Anything's possible. This is not probable.

kitler53 said:
Landguy said:

The charts show that the momentum of the first 12 months has started to slow down.  Even if it maintains the sales pace for another 2 years (somewhat likely), it will start to slow down rapidly at that point.  There are and will be just too many choices for the casual crowd to support the sales rate long term.  I would guess 90 million...

chertz,.. lulz.  the fallacy in the logic is too obvious to rexplain.

I guess thats the easy way to say that "i disagree, but can't prove it or am too lazy to".  I understand, as that normally would mean not commenting at all.

It is near the end of the end....

Ryng_Tolu said:
Kerotan said:
Ps2 ship 155m.

They shipped more since that.  I suggest you did up the research done on neogaf.