By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Study shows why current-gen console owners chose a specific gaming device

Tagged games:

See guys, the Wii U is not overpriced... It's a good value :).

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Puppyroach said:

I recently discovered SNES, a machine I ignored when I was younger simply because it was Nintendo. Playing through Super Metroid made me realize it beats most action games released today in atmosphere, controls and music despite it being low-res. Yes, brand loyalty and resolution are two useless reasons to prefer a console over the other. They might be added bonuses and food for a good debate here and there but there are no quality factors within those two that gives us great games.

And you do realize the SNES was the PS4 of its time, right?  And the reason many were getting it was because it was more capable than the NES, do it delivered similar games with better graphics?  And just because people want a more capable current system, doesn't mean they can't appreciate the classics?

What kind of an argument is that?? I just told you I recently discovered the SNES and enjoyed one of its games thoroughly, so what relevance does my enjoyment NOW has as to do with the SNES being the most advanced system THEN? Do you think I traveled back in time when I played it or what? And I am not saying great graphics is irrelevant, but its a useless argument for choosing one system over another. If resolution is he number one reason, why ever get a console, because it will not take long until its beaten by PC or another console. I am thinking that you are creating arguments for argument´s sake.

Cobretti2 said:
As a PS4 owner I want to know who they surveyed lol.

3 of those reasons are no way a deciding factor in my purchase.

Hey I feel the same as an XOne owner. We have to keep in mind that we forum dwellers are a minority in gaming.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Shadow1980 said:
DonFerrari said:

And how does the secondary console have a curve of bigger sales in the beggining of the gen instead of the end and for quite a long time beat both together?

Maybe that wasn't the best way to put it, but I think the Wii did significantly increase the number of multi-console homes. The Wii was something new, fresh and very inexpensive compared to the competition. It did well for several years being bought along with or instead of the 360 & PS3, but once it passed its peak and entered terminal decline more and more gamers started going back to more conventional consoles that offered the big AAA experiences the Wii lacked. Hence the delayed peaks of the 360 & PS3 as well as their slow combined growth from 2007-2010. The PS3 & 360 were unique in that they had such delayed peaks (the Genesis was the only other system to peak past its third full year, but that's because of Nintendo's de facto monopoly from 1985-1990). The only explanation for this is if sales of the two were depressed by the Wii, and Wii couldn't depress their sales if it were being bought mostly by non-gamers. The Nielsen study does show that PS4 & XBO owners had not only high ownership rates of the PS3 & 360, but also of the Wii, which does show that of the current eighth-gen install base the vast majority of them owned a Wii. There almost certainly was a non-trivial periphery demographic (i.e., non-gamers) for the Wii, but I believe the majority of Wii sales were by gamers. The data just doesn't make sense otherwise.

I agree that Wii have been the secondary console for a lot of people and probably not only inflated wii first years (dampening a little PS3/X360, but strange to buy the secondary console before the main) but also sustained the sales a little more on the end-life. But we can't clearly decide on how much it impacted... and from these numbers of Nilsen I don't see how to infer most 8th gen users had Wii.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Puppyroach said:
thismeintiel said:

And you do realize the SNES was the PS4 of its time, right?  And the reason many were getting it was because it was more capable than the NES, do it delivered similar games with better graphics?  And just because people want a more capable current system, doesn't mean they can't appreciate the classics?

What kind of an argument is that?? I just told you I recently discovered the SNES and enjoyed one of its games thoroughly, so what relevance does my enjoyment NOW has as to do with the SNES being the most advanced system THEN? Do you think I traveled back in time when I played it or what? And I am not saying great graphics is irrelevant, but its a useless argument for choosing one system over another. If resolution is he number one reason, why ever get a console, because it will not take long until its beaten by PC or another console. I am thinking that you are creating arguments for argument´s sake.

I thought it was pretty obvious.  But, I'll go ahead and spell it out for you.  Because people want graphics, which also includes higher resolutions, to improve, we have new systems.  Without that want, there would be no SNES.  We would all still be playing the NES, or maybe even the Atari 2600, in 480i.  This is why people going on and on about how resolution doesn't matter, even though it did before, are quite obvious in their bias.  The hypocracy is that when their fav console has another successor, especially if it's ahead graphically, they will go back to praising the heightened graphics AND resolution.

Also, the PC argument is completely void.  Most people prefer the console experience, or at the very least, like both.  Gamers gladly give up some graphic fidelity in exchange for a easier, unified experience, as well as a cheaper upfront cost.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Rab said:

They have fun alright, with resolution and branding :p

All fun is valid. So from Nintendo fans answer they have fun with fun?@

Good point, but I see the Nintendo "fun" reason more about fun with gameplay, rather than tech specs or graphics  

Lets face it, people that bought a Wii U did not buy it becuase of it's power otherwise they would have bought a PS4, they had other reasons, I think fun gameplay was the prime mover, and they thought theyll get that from the Wii U with the general consensus being that games so far are little lacking on the PS4 and XB1 in comparison to the Wii U

Interesting. Never knew people were so loyal to Xbox.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Shadow1980 said:
DonFerrari said:

I agree that Wii have been the secondary console for a lot of people and probably not only inflated wii first years (dampening a little PS3/X360, but strange to buy the secondary console before the main) but also sustained the sales a little more on the end-life. But we can't clearly decide on how much it impacted... and from these numbers of Nilsen I don't see how to infer most 8th gen users had Wii.

First bolded: Because it was something new and fresh, plus it was dirt cheap compared to the PS3 & 360. At $250, why not try the new thing that's all the rage?

Second bolded: Well, they gave us percentages. Assuming those percentages are still about the same, we get the following numbers for the end 2014 install base:

6.71M PS4 owners × 0.72 = 4.83M that owned a Wii
6.19M XBO owners × 0.72 = 4.46M that owned a Wii
3.75M Wii U owners × 0.85 = 3.19M that owned a Wii

Total number of current-gen users that ever owned a Wii ≈ 12.5M

12.5 million is about 30% of lifetime Wii sales in the U.S. That's pretty significant considering it's still quite early in the generation and most earlier adopters likely tend to be the hardest of hardcore gamers. These figures don't really lend much credence to the notion that the Wii was sold mostly to old folks, health-conscious soccer moms, "casuals," and others who would otherwise never own a console.

Now, what I'd really like to see is this survey repeated in about 3-4 years once we get a couple of years past the eighth-gen peak and start closing in on the ninth. Then we'll have a more complete picture.

Well I didn't saw the other plats each owned on 7th gen just that 66% of ps4, 75% of x1 and 85% of WiiU owned previous iteration. How could 72% of ps4 owners have Wii while only 66% owned ps3? Quite odd.

But if yours numbers are right yes a lot of early buyer had Wii. Although this is probably small group survey, and looking at attach rate and non-Nintendo sw sale most are casual games. So I would say there is a nice spread of hardcore multi-console, Nintendo fan and casuals.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Rab said:
DonFerrari said:

All fun is valid. So from Nintendo fans answer they have fun with fun?@

Good point, but I see the Nintendo "fun" reason more about fun with gameplay, rather than tech specs or graphics  

Lets face it, people that bought a Wii U did not buy it becuase of it's power otherwise they would have bought a PS4, they had other reasons, I think fun gameplay was the prime mover, and they thought theyll get that from the Wii U with the general consensus being that games so far are little lacking on the PS4 and XB1 in comparison to the Wii U

I don't think people outside Nintendo don't value fun on gameplay, just that they either think funny gameplay is offered by ms/sony not ninty. Or even valuing gameplay they are looking for graphics as well or are output because of "kiddie" image.