By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Study shows why current-gen console owners chose a specific gaming device

Tagged games:

I get the impression that people answering "Better graphics" were lumped into "Better resolution". I mean if you check InFamous 2 vs InFamous: Second Son, the main draw isn't the better resolution, it's how fucking gorgeous that game looks.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

If I am understanding this right roughly 90% of console owners this generation owned a console from last generation. So, 10% of current generation owners either never owned a console or skipped last generation. Some interesting data here, be curious what it looks like in a few years.

theprof00 said:
Pretty interesting finding. I expected brand to be up there on the playstation side as well.

Only problem with this study is that they polled 13 year olds only instead of a range of ages.
Still, 13 year olds at least does show us how they're thinking.

Also, we don't know what percentages each category was picked, but games being higher up on ps4 than the others is a pretty important distinction.

13 year olds AND OLDER

and fun factor is most likely talking about games.

Puppyroach said:
Well, I would put "brand" and "resolution" as two equally useless reasons to prefer one console over the other. It seems to only be the Nintendo fans that actually have, what I would consider, relevant reasons.

How is wanting a more capable machine a useless reason?  Brand is also not useless, since if you like what a company has been delivering over the years, you tend to want to stay with them more.  Same goes for me with the PS brand.

I'll just copy my response to a good point made by kilter53 here:

kitler53 said:

so much for that idea that xbox owners aren't buying ps4's but rather just waiting to upgrade because they are soo satisfied with their 360s.

This.  Same thing goes for resolution.  The one thing I would LOVE clarification on, what do people mean by Bluray player played a big part in their decision?  The XBO has a Bluray player, as well, so you could have a gaming Blu-ray player for $349, instead of $399.  But, more importantly, you can get a Bluray player for $50-$60, so it can't be that big of an influence on their decision.

Around the Network

At least this survey shows a correlation with current sales. It shows that ps4 has been the most succesful in attracting gamers from all side and that's a good thing if you want to sell a lot of consoles long term.

well, im pretty sure the wiiu owner lied... better for the kids my ass, they just wanted to play as cat peach . same shit grown man tell when they are asked why they watch my little pony.

Smear-Gel said:
theprof00 said:
Pretty interesting finding. I expected brand to be up there on the playstation side as well.

Only problem with this study is that they polled 13 year olds only instead of a range of ages.
Still, 13 year olds at least does show us how they're thinking.

Also, we don't know what percentages each category was picked, but games being higher up on ps4 than the others is a pretty important distinction.

13 year olds AND OLDER

and fun factor is most likely talking about games.

Ah I must've overlooked the "older" part.

Ok, well you can interpret it how you want, but if we just take the lines themselves we get:

People bought a ps4 because it had the better graphics and power, a blu ray player, game library, and the family wanted it.

People bought wiiU because it's fun and better for kids at a good price/value, has backwards compatibility, and good exclusive games.

People bought x1 because it's xbox, has innovative features and faster processing, with great exclusive games and fun factor

So, it looks like people bought each all around because:
PS4: had something for the whole family
WiiU: fun games and was great for kids
x1: innovative console and fun games

Ka-pi96 said:
I'm actually quite sad that the number one reason to own a PS4 is because of 'better resolution'. Number 2 reason isn't much better either considering the PS3 already had a blu ray player, or and so does the Xbox One, so I really don't see how that is a selling point.

I was disappointed in number one as well for the PS4. The Xbox One though, strikes me even more so. I thought that something else would take the top spot, like networking services, but brand caught me by surprise. Nintendo I had expected, as many of their titles focus solely on that more than the others do.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

The survey is interesting; although the writer's a little bit confused, better graphics was meant wrt last gen.

WiiStation360 said:

Interesting survey, that show what we already assumed:

People who switch brands this generation are more likely to switch to PS4.

• 25% of PS4 owners owned a 7th gen console, but not a PS3. (91%-66%)
  • 12% of XB1 owners owned a 7th gen console, but not a XB360. (88%-76%)
  • 7% of WiiU owners owned a 7th gen console, but not a Wii (93% -86%)
MS is doing a good job attracting first time console buyers.  (Price drop/advertising/minecraft)  This is what is killing Nintendo this gen.  Wii attracted a TON of first time console buyers last gen.  They are not sticking with Nintendo this time.
  • 12% of XB1 owners did not own a 7th gen console.
  • 9% of PS4  owners did not own a 7th gen console.
  • 7% or WiiU owners did not own a 7th gen console.

Wow, nice break down of the numbers, thanks!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"