By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Study shows why current-gen console owners chose a specific gaming device

Tagged games:

Wright said:
Ruler said:

It doesnt exist there? why else you think xbox and iphone are strong there? because those are US brands

vivster is being sarcastic.

I wish I was. I can't even count all the posts in this forum that claimed there is no brand loyalty in US when I said that X1 sells mainly because of brand and will continue to do so.

Sure, everyone is buying X1 because it's such great value and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that people owned a 360 for 7 years prior and built up a profile and relationship with that brand. People in other territories must be stupid not to buy X1 for its great value.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Reasons I chose a Wii U?

Exclusives/games
Free online
Backwards Compatibility

I might eventually get a PS4, when it goes down in price (considerably), and it manages to build up at least 4-5 games that I actually want for it.

vivster said:
Wright said:
Ruler said:

It doesnt exist there? why else you think xbox and iphone are strong there? because those are US brands

vivster is being sarcastic.

I wish I was. I can't even count all the posts in this forum that claimed there is no brand loyalty in US when I said that X1 sells mainly because of brand and will continue to do so.

Sure, everyone is buying X1 because it's such great value and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that people owned a 360 for 7 years prior and built up a profile and relationship with that brand. People in other territories must be stupid not to buy X1 for its great value.

No one said there was NO brand loyalty.  They said that it was the least brand loyal of the other regions, ususally stated when Xbox fans were saying XBO had NA/US on lock because of the 360's install base.  Which is obviously the case considering how many different brands have been market leaders gen to gen.

thismeintiel said:
Puppyroach said:
Well, I would put "brand" and "resolution" as two equally useless reasons to prefer one console over the other. It seems to only be the Nintendo fans that actually have, what I would consider, relevant reasons.

How is wanting a more capable machine a useless reason?  Brand is also not useless, since if you like what a company has been delivering over the years, you tend to want to stay with them more.  Same goes for me with the PS brand.

I recently discovered SNES, a machine I ignored when I was younger simply because it was Nintendo. Playing through Super Metroid made me realize it beats most action games released today in atmosphere, controls and music despite it being low-res. Yes, brand loyalty and resolution are two useless reasons to prefer a console over the other. They might be added bonuses and food for a good debate here and there but there are no quality factors within those two that gives us great games.

Rab said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes because clearly ms and Sony fans are masochist they don't want to have fun gaming.

They have fun alright, with resolution and branding :p

All fun is valid. So from Nintendo fans answer they have fun with fun?@

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

I actually find this the most interesting part of the study:

If I'm reading this right, then it lends credence to my theory that the Wii wasn't driven primarily by so-called "casuals" but was rather bought as a second console by core gamers (my main argument centers on the sales curves of the seventh-gen systems). From the looks of it, those high percentages all around indicate that the rate of multi-console homes in general may have been rather high. Still, we're dealing with an eighth-gen install base that is only about 17 million in the U.S. vs. 110 million for seventh-gen systems, and many early adopters are probably more "serious" gamers than average, so that is a caveat here.

And how does the secondary console have a curve of bigger sales in the beggining of the gen instead of the end and for quite a long time beat both together?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I cannot believe people would care about resolution for consoles that much. Get a PC if you want more pixels. What a stupid reason to buy a console.

Then again I hate the way nielson does cable ratings, so this is all useless crap as far as I'm concerned.

Im sad that the reasons why ps4 and xbox one are liked the most o this survey isnt even for games :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Puppyroach said:
thismeintiel said:
Puppyroach said:
Well, I would put "brand" and "resolution" as two equally useless reasons to prefer one console over the other. It seems to only be the Nintendo fans that actually have, what I would consider, relevant reasons.

How is wanting a more capable machine a useless reason?  Brand is also not useless, since if you like what a company has been delivering over the years, you tend to want to stay with them more.  Same goes for me with the PS brand.

I recently discovered SNES, a machine I ignored when I was younger simply because it was Nintendo. Playing through Super Metroid made me realize it beats most action games released today in atmosphere, controls and music despite it being low-res. Yes, brand loyalty and resolution are two useless reasons to prefer a console over the other. They might be added bonuses and food for a good debate here and there but there are no quality factors within those two that gives us great games.

And you do realize the SNES was the PS4 of its time, right?  And the reason many were getting it was because it was more capable than the NES, do it delivered similar games with better graphics?  And just because people want a more capable current system, doesn't mean they can't appreciate the classics?

So do PS4 owners not care about fun?