By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest IX sales?

If I've learned anything this generation its not to try and predict how well games on the Wii or Ds will do.

Around the Network

I think it'll sell a few copies, certainly it will sell DS's, so we're looking at a real 3rd party blockbuster on the DS, the likes of which haven't been seen before.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'll tell ya what Sony fanboys, I'll trade ya DQ9 on the DS for KH3 on the Wii.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Louie said:
We are talking about the main series here, not a spin-off so I will go with at least 3.5 million units sold. Considering the huge install base of Nintendo´s Dual Screen I´d actually go as high as 4.5 million.

Well considering that the PS2 has a bigger install base and it didn't break 4 million .......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

5-6 million worldwide . I dont see it selling much more than 500k worldwide , even in best case , but it could sell as much as 5 million in Japan :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
5-6 million worldwide . I dont see it selling much more than 500k worldwide , even in best case , but it could sell as much as 5 million in Japan :)

I'm really excited about it for my DS, and I know a lot of handheld DS gamers really want a good RPG, but I don't know. JRPG's don't do as well in the west, because as a culture, we don't know how awesome they are, but me personally, I've been in on that little tidbit of knowledge since the NES.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Louie said:
We are talking about the main series here, not a spin-off so I will go with at least 3.5 million units sold. Considering the huge install base of Nintendo´s Dual Screen I´d actually go as high as 4.5 million.

FFX-2 (a clear spin-off) sold over 2 million copies in Japan alone.

What will work against it is that DQ will be on a completely different platform. DS has been getting tons of spin-off from SE before, I wonder if people will consider the game a DQ series lite.

Yes, I used the "L" word.

A spin off that was still in the same genre of game.

exactly, no different than DQ on DS as oppose to on home console like it has always been.

Except... DQ isn't a spin off... and X-2 was on the same system as X. Making it extremely different. I mean... FF7 Crisis Core is a better comparison... to both games.

Despite it suffering from being both a spin off and on a portable with a way smaller userbase. 

Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
kingofwale said:
Louie said:

FFX-2 (a clear spin-off) sold over 2 million copies in Japan alone.

What will work against it is that DQ will be on a completely different platform. DS has been getting tons of spin-off from SE before, I wonder if people will consider the game a DQ series lite.

Yes, I used the "L" word.

A spin off that was still in the same genre of game.

exactly, no different than DQ on DS as oppose to on home console like it has always been.

Except... DQ isn't a spin off... and X-2 was on the same system as X. Making it extremely different. I mean... FF7 Crisis Core is a better comparison... to both games.

Despite it suffering from being both a spin off and on a portable with a way smaller userbase.

But you know what they say... if it smells like a wolf, looks like a wolf.... ;)

The fact remains, SE has a lot of FF spins off on DS, unless this game really lives up to the standards set up by previous DQ games, this game will be viewed as somewhat a "Lite" or "spin-off" (kinda like how nobody really consides FFXI a FF main series game when they talk about it)

Yes, it will sell millions, that's for sure

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
outlawauron said:
Louie said:

Well considering that the PS2 has a bigger install base and it didn't break 4 million .......

When DragonQuest IX is released the DS will probably have a higher install base than the Playstation 2. Additionally, please keep in mind Dragon Quest games are very front-loaded so all that matters is the install base at the point of the games release and- of course - the amount of software the system sells. And up to this point cumulative DS software sales have been higher than PS2 software sales at the respective point of its lifetime I think.

Kingofwale, I think you somehow missread my post.

>Kingofwale, I think you somehow missread my post.

I might've quoted the wrong person, still getting used to the new layout. sorry

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)