By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went into a Gamestop for the first time

And what a sad place. The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap, and the shelves didn't have ends. I watched a kid grab a game only to have the 5 games closer to the edge fall to the ground and he got sniped at be a worker for dropping them(wtf). Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. Why do people shop at these places, besides parents who have no clue.  I know this may be an isolated subpar Gamestop but Il never step foot in one again. EDIT* I went in the store just to check it out, just burning time at the mall. 

Around the Network
dukerx2 said:

Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. 

That's a good thing. "Help" at gamestop is not the help you want. They'll try to sell something to you that you don't want. Anyway, I like Gamestop's website for buying certain games online, hate their stores. 

I haven't been to one in years, but they are universally terrible in my experience. The polar opposite of what Babbage's used to be.

dukerx2 said:

games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap

Often they put display cases out and they give you the game when you go to the counter. I don't think they can legally sell you a new game without the shrink wrap, because by their own definition, that constitutes a used game

The quality of GameStop stores varies widely from location to location. Really depends on who works there and who runs the place. Also, their selection is intentionally split among neighboring stores if there are a lot near each other, to ensure traffic to all of them. Which is annoying.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
dukerx2 said:

games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap

Often they put display cases out and they give you the game when you go to the counter. I don't think they can legally sell you a new game without the shrink wrap, because by their own definition, that constitutes a used game

Soon as you open it it's used

I've been to a bunch of gamestops never had a problem. I got what I wanted and I love how you can try out a used game and return it in seven days if you don't like it. That's one of the things I hate about consoles is you can't try out any game before buying it you basically have to take the risk of wasting $60.

dukerx2 said:

And what a sad place. The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap, and the shelves didn't have ends. I watched a kid grab a game only to have the 5 games closer to the edge fall to the ground and he got sniped at be a worker for dropping them(wtf). Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. Why do people shop at these places, besides parents who have no clue.  I know this may be an isolated subpar Gamestop but Il never step foot in one again.

I've read many, many threads over the years about posters asking gamestop employees questions to see if they know their stuff, questioning company policies, or listening in on conversations with customers and butting in. They usually, like you did, just end up riling the staff up and being asked to leave.

Honestly, the student employee making close to minimum wage and being pushed to sell games is probably not the person to take your frustratation at the company out on.

That said, Gamestop massively overcharge where I live, poorly label their merchandise in-store and don't have a great trade in system. I never really shop there.

Yeah, GameStop sucks. It bothers me so much that new games aren't sealed. What a hellhole.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Dallinor said:
dukerx2 said:

And what a sad place. The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap, and the shelves didn't have ends. I watched a kid grab a game only to have the 5 games closer to the edge fall to the ground and he got sniped at be a worker for dropping them(wtf). Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. Why do people shop at these places, besides parents who have no clue.  I know this may be an isolated subpar Gamestop but Il never step foot in one again.

I've read many, many threads over the years about posters asking gamestop employees questions to see if they know their stuff, questioning company policies, or listening in on conversations with customers and butting in. They usually, like you did, just end up riling the staff up and being asked to leave.

Honestly, the student employee making close to minimum wage and being pushed to sell games is probably not the person to take your frustratation at the company out on.

That said, Gamestop massively overcharge where I live, poorly label their merchandise in-store and don't have a great trade in system. I never really shop there.

amen.....