By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went into a Gamestop for the first time

My standout experiences from memory:

-Went to buy Freedom Fighters for the Gamecube. The clerk didn't have anymore copies, went to the demo console where two kids were playing it, took the game out of the console while they were playing and placed it into a case and marked it as "new". I walked out of the store. (Savannah Mall)

-Overheard a salesman telling an older lady that she HAD to buy a cooling device for a PS2 or it would BURN DOWN HER HOUSE. (Savannah Mall)

-Bought a used copy of Condemned 2. When I got to the car, discovered the clerk had swapped my almost new looking case with some generic yellow/white case. I went back and demanded the right case. I'm anal like that. (Aigusta Mall)

-Asked for the price of some games. Went to check out later on and discovered I was given like $100 in credit for the games I asked about! (Savannah Mall)

-Went to buy some game. Can't remember what. Some guy asked me how I was enjoying the Amzing Spider-Man game. I was shocked since I bought it in Statesboro, Ga and this guy was at Gamestop in Savannah, Ga some 60 miles away.

-Was in Jacksonville, Florida or Atlanta, Ga (can't remember) but I was probably 300 miles from home and some salesman got PISSED that I wouldn't pre-order some game. I think it was Gears of War 3. I wasn't even going to be around when the game came out! WTF!?

-Won a free T-Shirt and ate some subs while waiting to buy a copy of Zelda Link Between Worlds and some Mario game (3D World?). It was Xbox One launch day and they were partying like it was 1999!

Around the Network
cheshirescat said:
dukerx2 said:

Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. 

While the upsell is one of the more deplorable practices in sales jumping in like the metascore ranger is hilariously douchey on its own merits.

Thats funny because thats not the only thing I said, but thats ok take what you want from that.

I can't remember the last game I've bought from Gamestop, but I usually find myself in there about one time a year.
Not that I go with the intention to buy but because I find myself near one like at the mall.
When I do happen to ask for a game, I walk out because I'm told the last new copy they have is the box that looks chewed, torn, broken, or dragged in the street that is on the new section rack. Yeah right.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

dukerx2 said:
LivingMetal said:

Did you informed this fellow customer/gamer that he ultimately needs to make a purchasing decision based on personal preference and NOT a number of an average based of a variety of opinions of people he most probable doesn't know???

I told him the game is averaging a 6.5 so I'd look into it before buying it, maybe to watch gameplay or read different reviews and he said 'oh ok thanks'. He acted like didn't do his research on it and I gave him better information than the Gamestop employees were giving him. I didn't say 6.5, don't buy it.  

Well, I wasn't there so sorry for the misconception.  But it's only on occasions I go into Gamestop.  The main reason is to say hi to the manager and a couple of the workers bcause they pretty much keep things real and only if I'm driving by.  Other than that, it's rare I stop by.  One of the last things I bought from there was a Samus Amiibo.  Now, I could have bought that from anywhere else.  But I did it because I liked the figure, and I wanted to support those guys, not Gamestop.  And I don't have a WiiU, yet.

But as someone already pointed out, their new shrinkwrapped games are stored in the back or in a drawer to help prevent theft.  But I hate it when the only new copy left is the one with the case displayed on the shelf.  Normally, the disc would be in perfect condition, but the case on the shelf it goes with is so filthy from everyone's funk touching and groping it.

And it's rare I buy used unless is an OOP rarity needed to help complete a collection.  Then, it needs to be in near mint condition with all original content.

I wrote this back in 2010 because Gamestop is absolutely horribad!

http://nintendodojo.com/blogpost.aspx?id=95928

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

I went 3 or 4 times to one of their stores. The first one I bought a "new" game, no... In this case they didn't have sealed copies to begin with, I was told by the employee that Gamestop doesn't sell games in shrink-wrap, I really wanted the game for my new console and didn't feel like waiting a couple of days if I bought it online, so I got a "new" game with even scratches on the disc. Fool me.

Second time I went there with my ex, since he had this weird "I don't trust eBay" attitude, whenever I asked him to get me a new game he'd choose best buy (expensive even for used games) and Gamestop, we went there and I bought one game, he bought me another and they gave me a free one... Which is cool I guess. No problems here but the cashier pushing very hard for me to become pro.

Third time I did like, just because I bought Monster Hunter and ever since it's my favorite game.

Last time I went because they had Arc Rise Fantasia for $15 (used of course), while a used copy online used to sell for about 40 at the time, seemed like a deal. But they had only one copy and it was a loose disc... Weeks later I bought a like new copy online.

So, overall they're not bad in my opinion... It's only that their practices suck and should be illegal to sell used games at new price, or vice versa (new Xenoblade that should be sold at $50 being sold as used for $80).

Amazon and small eBay stores for the win!

I never really had much trouble with my local EBGames. The store is decently laid out, it looks clean and they have a pretty decent selection. My problem really has always been the staff, it's been hit or miss. Some of the people working there have been really helpful while others have been rather clueless.

I live In Puerto Rico, and I've been going to Gamestop as long as I can remember and all of this you just mentioned I've never seen happen.

I've never seen a person push a game on a customer, maybe show them the qualities but in my personal experience I've never been pushed to the brink and they tend to show the bad side of games.

They never blame anyone for anything, maybe it's because I wasn't there too see it but I've never seen this behavior.

Maybe it's the are of where live? or the employees themselves? I don't know but I always Go to Gamestop for Disk games.

Not saying you're lying or anything, but I'm just stating that this has never happened to me lol.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever had any huge problems with GameStop.

I'm usually in-and-out with GameStop anyways, and the worst I've dealt with GameStop were some messy shelves, and some clueless staff.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Yeah GameStop sucks I get my games at BestBuy. The only positive about GameStop is the employees do know a little about video games.

http://www.whoisjesus-really.com/

Wii U + PS4 

Consoles>Mobile