By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went into a Gamestop for the first time

dukerx2 said:

The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap

Went to a Gamestop one single time, not going there ever again. Especially the bolded part blew my mind away. Some of the games were obviously used and not in a good shape, yet they have the nerve to market it as 'new'. What a scam.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Around the Network
dukerx2 said:

Yeah the employees were well into their thirtys, they don't like minimum wage thats their own fault. I informed a fellow customer about a game and was asked to leave. Thats fine, I was there to check the store out nothing more. So this 'frustration' never existed it was me watching out for a fellow gamer. 

Any business will ask you to leave if you're running off their customers in the store. Walmart will ask you to leave if you go around singing "Walmart, Walmart, it's our store! We shop here because we're poor!" At that point, you're trespassing.

I never really have a problem im never pushed to buy anything. The only little annoying thing I get is if I get a PSN they always ask what its for and when I say a game for example the order ill get a weird look and get asked to get it on disc and ill always answer with no.

dukerx2 said:

Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. 

I tend to like stores like that. I hate it when the employee keeps on nagging  about what you want and if you're not going to buy anything they try to make you leave.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

I've never had any bad experiences with EB Games. I would go in, get my game, and then leave. They'd ask if I need anything else, which every employee at retail asks, I'd so no thanks and that's it. Depends on the employees at specific locations I guess.

However, I have started to buy my games through Amazon but that's just because I'm too lazy to drive to stores

Around the Network
dukerx2 said:

games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap

They do this to prevent theft... They [should] have the new games in shrinkwrap behind the counter when you purchase the game so it was never opened.. though I have heard of stories that say otherwise.

I went to EB games (Gamestop equivalent) twice to preorder Pokemon Y and get Rune Factory 4 when other stores stopped listing them. Didn't have any issues  with them since the games were in shrinkwrap and was not pestered to purchase another game.. though I prefer to buy games elsewhere (Best Buy, Future Shop)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I most always get my games from Amazon. I buy from Gamestop's online store once in a while, but haven't been in a store for 2 years.

dukerx2 said:

Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. 

While the upsell is one of the more deplorable practices in sales jumping in like the metascore ranger is hilariously douchey on its own merits.

Ka-pi96 said:
Zisbest said:

Went to a Gamestop one single time, not going there ever again. Especially the bolded part blew my mind away. Some of the games were obviously used and not in a good shape, yet they have the nerve to market it as 'new'. What a scam.

As others have mentioned they were probably only display copies with no actual discs inside the case.

Oh well, I didn't know that. Thus my argument is pretty much invalid, thanks for pointing out my error.

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

This isn't remotely similar to any of my GameStop experiences. Worst one I ever had was I guess when I asked to pre-order Skyward Sword and the cashier asked me if I wanted the PS3 or 360 version. Any of the times they've asked me if I want to pre-order this or that might qualify as well. I've also had quite pleasant experiences at GameStop, when I was there just a couple weeks ago to pre-order Monster Hunter, the cashier was really cool, didn't try to push any other games on me, even asked if I tried the Codename STEAM demo and what I thought of it.

It will simply vary from person to person. It's no different from any other game stores I've been to, even the retro stores.