By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went into a Gamestop for the first time

Never have issues when I go to Gamestop and I usually buy all of my stuff there.

Yeah I usually get the good ol' "Anything I can help you with?" but unless I know what I went in there for I just say "No thanks" and that is that. That and usually while I they are ringing up my items they ask if there are any future titles I might be interested in, which I also usually reply "Not at the moment".

Asking a customer if they need help is called common courtesy, yet on gaming forums people act like it's a crime against them. It's not really that big of a deal.

Oh yeah and those unwrapped cases on the shelves are not the ones you buy. They keep those in the drawers behind the counter. Why the heck would they put plastic wrapped items on the shelf? That's a good way to have things stolen.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Yeah, Gamestop... I've never seen a good one in Germany. Crazy prices (used games without box = new online price; new games never get reduced in price unless you give them 6+ games), weird workers and all about blockbusters and games that are really famous. Not sure how they can survive like that. Well, mass market I guess.

Will people stop being "2spooky4U" shoppers today? Seriously, they sell games, you get the games. What is the problem?

My biggest issue is the fact that mine hardly ever has new games. The "new" games that have been opened and have stickers on them annoy me.

The selection is a mixed bag, and the people that work there do seem beat down, but retail in general is rough on workers. I feel bad for them having to deal with some of those customers. Never had them push stuff on me, general "Rewards member? Pre-order anything?"

Honestly if pricing and packing was better done be more open as they are the most convenient store for me. For now I do most online.

dukerx2 said:

I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' 

*tips fedora*

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Oh yeah and those unwrapped cases on the shelves are not the ones you buy. They keep those in the drawers behind the counter. Why the heck would they put plastic wrapped items on the shelf? That's a good way to have things stolen.

Of course they aren't going to put the sealed copies on the shelves. That's understandable.

My issue it that when I request a new, sealed copy of a game it was often a hassle. Even after requesting a sealed copy, they would still attempt to sell me an opened copy by either arguing that the open copy is still new, or in a few cases they would even ignore the request for a sealed copy and start ringing up the opened copy. I've even been told a few times that they didn't have any sealed copies, and only opened copies for sale.

dukerx2 said:
Arcturus said:

I avoid shopping at Gamestop (EB Games in Canada) as much as I can. The prices are usually lower at other stores (and you can price match at those other stores if need be) and at other stores I can just walk in and purchase a new, unopened game with no hassle. I just can't stand their practice of selling opened games as new.

One of the last times I shopped at EB Games was to buy a new copy of Demon's Souls. The game appeared to be sealed, so I purchased it and went home. When I got home, I noticed that they had re-sealed it with tape and when I opened it up I noticed several finger prints on the disk. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it still bugs me.

Ouch, did you return it? I normally go to Wal Mart (best option for where I live) or find deals for new games on Ebay.

Nope, wasn't worth my time to go back and attempt to return it. I just decided to take my business elsewhere for all future game purchases when possible.

Arcturus said:
Euphoria14 said:

Of course they aren't going to put the sealed copies on the shelves. That's understandable.

My issue it that when I request a new, sealed copy of a game it was often a hassle. Even after requesting a sealed copy, they would still attempt to sell me an opened copy by either arguing that the open copy is still new, or in a few cases they would even ignore the request for a sealed copy and start ringing up the opened copy. I've even been told a few times that they didn't have any sealed copies, and only opened copies for sale.

I always hear that but in all my years I think I have seen it once or twice, with one time buying it because I couldn't bothered to go to another store and a second time where I talked to the manager and haggled it down $5 to $55. I'm guessing he used an employee discount or something.

I'm just going to go home and open the damn thing anyways, so since I saved $5 I was good. It's not that hard to take the sticker off either. Just do it very slowly, that way the adhesive doesn't remain on the case.

Before even trying to ring it up I am usually informed that the only copy they have is the display copy and they ask if I still want it.

Many times I think it comes down to either:

A.) Employees who really couldn't care less. Although what do you expect when someone is getting paid like $9/hour?

or

B.) Customers who act like brats and are treated as such.

Not saying that's you, but I have seen so many posts like "I walk in and everytime they ask if I need help. JEEZ, just leave me the fuck alone!" Always shocked at how some people get annoyed when someone offers assistance.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

LivingMetal said:
dukerx2 said:

Yeah the employees were well into their thirtys, they don't like minimum wage thats their own fault. I informed a fellow customer about a game and was asked to leave. Thats fine, I was there to check the store out nothing more. So this 'frustration' never existed it was me watching out for a fellow gamer. 

Did you informed this fellow customer/gamer that he ultimately needs to make a purchasing decision based on personal preference and NOT a number of an average based of a variety of opinions of people he most probable doesn't know???

I told him the game is averaging a 6.5 so I'd look into it before buying it, maybe to watch gameplay or read different reviews and he said 'oh ok thanks'. He acted like didn't do his research on it and I gave him better information than the Gamestop employees were giving him. I didn't say 6.5, don't buy it.  

dukerx2 said:
LivingMetal said:

Did you informed this fellow customer/gamer that he ultimately needs to make a purchasing decision based on personal preference and NOT a number of an average based of a variety of opinions of people he most probable doesn't know???

I told him the game is averaging a 6.5 so I'd look into it before buying it, maybe to watch gameplay or read different reviews and he said 'oh ok thanks'. He acted like didn't do his research on it and I gave him better information than the Gamestop employees were giving him. I didn't say 6.5, don't buy it.  

Believe it or not people find stuff like that to be quite annoying.

When you go into the theatre do you normally tell people (while waiting in line) that they should look into a movie first before laying down money for their ticket? "Excuse me sir, but do you know Kingsman only has a 59 Meta?"

Currently playing: