By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went into a Gamestop for the first time

What a story. o.O
Here in Germany the workers at Gamestop are always very nice to me, though I don't like Gamestop...

Around the Network

My friend works for GameStop and sometimes district managers are down their throats to push a particular title. Kind of like when the X1 was first available they were told to heavily push that console over the others.

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

dukerx2 said:

And what a sad place. The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap, and the shelves didn't have ends. I watched a kid grab a game only to have the 5 games closer to the edge fall to the ground and he got sniped at be a worker for dropping them(wtf). Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. Why do people shop at these places, besides parents who have no clue.  I know this may be an isolated subpar Gamestop but Il never step foot in one again.

Gamestop by and large is a sad place, and they are going to push the newest hyped releases regardless of scores.  It's a business, but you cannot always fault employees for pushing a product it they honestly think it a good product regarless of review scores.  Keep an opened mind. 

If I go to a Gamestop, it's usually just one that's five minutes from my house and I've never really had a problem. They've never advertised something in my face or anything, granted I usually only use it to pick up a pre-order every once and awhile so I don't really have a full scope on their business practices.

aikohualda said:
Dallinor said:
dukerx2 said:

And what a sad place. The selection was terrible, games marked 'new' not in shrink wrap, and the shelves didn't have ends. I watched a kid grab a game only to have the 5 games closer to the edge fall to the ground and he got sniped at be a worker for dropping them(wtf). Also I purposely stood in there for 5mins doing nothing  and not one of the employees asked if I needed help. Then two employees were pushing The Order 1886 on this guy, hyping up the graphics and such and I steped in and said 'You going to tell him its averaging a 6.5 score, or any of its faults?' and I was asked to leave. Why do people shop at these places, besides parents who have no clue.  I know this may be an isolated subpar Gamestop but Il never step foot in one again.

I've read many, many threads over the years about posters asking gamestop employees questions to see if they know their stuff, questioning company policies, or listening in on conversations with customers and butting in. They usually, like you did, just end up riling the staff up and being asked to leave.

Honestly, the student employee making close to minimum wage and being pushed to sell games is probably not the person to take your frustratation at the company out on.

That said, Gamestop massively overcharge where I live, poorly label their merchandise in-store and don't have a great trade in system. I never really shop there.

amen.....

Yeah the employees were well into their thirtys, they don't like minimum wage thats their own fault. I informed a fellow customer about a game and was asked to leave. Thats fine, I was there to check the store out nothing more. So this 'frustration' never existed it was me watching out for a fellow gamer. 

Around the Network

I've honestly had decent experiences with Gamestop. I don't get sold stuff I don't want and I can usually find what I do want. I also don't really sell games, and if I did, I'd sell through Craigslist, eBay, or Amazon if I thought they were worth anything more than a few bucks.

I avoid shopping at Gamestop (EB Games in Canada) as much as I can. The prices are usually lower at other stores (and you can price match at those other stores if need be) and at other stores I can just walk in and purchase a new, unopened game with no hassle. I just can't stand their practice of selling opened games as new.

One of the last times I shopped at EB Games was to buy a new copy of Demon's Souls. The game appeared to be sealed, so I purchased it and went home. When I got home, I noticed that they had re-sealed it with tape and when I opened it up I noticed several finger prints on the disk. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it still bugs me.

Arcturus said:

I avoid shopping at Gamestop (EB Games in Canada) as much as I can. The prices are usually lower at other stores (and you can price match at those other stores if need be) and at other stores I can just walk in and purchase a new, unopened game with no hassle. I just can't stand their practice of selling opened games as new.

One of the last times I shopped at EB Games was to buy a new copy of Demon's Souls. The game appeared to be sealed, so I purchased it and went home. When I got home, I noticed that they had re-sealed it with tape and when I opened it up I noticed several finger prints on the disk. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it still bugs me.

Ouch, did you return it? I normally go to Wal Mart (best option for where I live) or find deals for new games on Ebay.

dukerx2 said:
aikohualda said:

amen.....

Yeah the employees were well into their thirtys, they don't like minimum wage thats their own fault. I informed a fellow customer about a game and was asked to leave. Thats fine, I was there to check the store out nothing more. So this 'frustration' never existed it was me watching out for a fellow gamer. 

Did you informed this fellow customer/gamer that he ultimately needs to make a purchasing decision based on personal preference and NOT a number of an average based of a variety of opinions of people he most probable doesn't know???

I went today for the first time since the ps4 launch to but €150 worth of psn cards lol.

I noticed that retail prices are quite high. €75 for the order. I mean holy fucking shit. I bought it in dollars on my American account which at the time equalled about €40. Almost half the price.

Other retail games also a lot more expensive than if you buy in the digital sales. Actually convinced me to stay digital for the most part.

Ps3 was still very expensive too.