By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Have A Message for All Reviewers Out There.....

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:
How are review numbers ruining gaming? Metacritic scores and sales do not seem to correlate.

They dampen my enjoyment of games. For example, I got Yoshi's New Island and liked it, the next day I looked up the Metascore and never played the game again.

So, you let other decide what you should read, watch and listen to? I guess you believe anything the media says. Back during the PS2 days, the Mark of Kri got a 8.0 and Primal got a 7.3. I gave both games over 8.5. I love both of them amost equality. But I ignored the review scores. I just didn't care what they said.

Same with Dead Island. I gave it a 9.0 even though it averaged a 8.0 on Meta and 6.8 from fans.

Around the Network
Snerker said:
Playstation_prophet said:
If The Order sells 5 million, is it a success? What defines success for a game?

hard to see it selling 5m with the reviews,but might get high due to being a bundle stalwart

I think he meant lifetime sales. But you should keep an eye on next months total sales and how fast it reaches 1 MIL.

raidinglarastomb said:

LOL

I'm not sure what the hidden agenda was. The reviews stated QTE and I didn't find many. There's a difference between QTE and pressing triangle to advance the story. Graphics, story, and characters are top notch. The only negative I could find is the game is on the shorter side. The reason for this is the game is built from the ground up, brand new IP, and released 1 year into the console cycle. There's a lot that can be done, yes but quality takes time.

How does a 2/10 review get posted on Metacritc? I thought 2/10 was broken and unplayable. User scores are 10's and 0's. Metcritic is broken. Something need to be done. Review numbers are ruining gaming.

The Order 1886 is a single player masterpiece in my opinion. I haven't talked or met a single person who disliked it. Sales will show what a great game it is. I can't wait for the sequel.

9/10

I'm interested in hearing other people's opinion like mine that owned a 360 or Xbox One and a PS4.

you do realise that game developers get development kits long before a console is launched? How do you think you get launch titles? Building a game from the ground up is no excuse for having a short game. I believe the main problem is the pacing of the game which can be rectified in the sequel. Also qte's are rubbish unless done right. 2 out of ten is a harsh score but that's metacritic down to the ground it normally averages out with a few undeserved 10 out of 10s.

That would be true if you treat each site as an AUHORITY (equal merit) on gaming that are inline with what YOU like. This is like taking some bloggers opionion over your own. This is why each review that comes out I have stopped paying attention to what THEY think of the game. Do you think that MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox, BBC are all equal in what they report just because they are all "news" companies? And that's not even mentioning the bat shyte crazy alternative conspriacy theory websites. Back to gaming. This started way back with GameSpot in the late 2000s. I noticed their bias first. Next was Pologon and IGN. As far as those no-name small sites that keep getting post on Metacritic? Ha! Who cares about them? Those sites are just random small sites with unknown biases.

The Order is a good game, yeah im a huge Sony fan and hey im not trying to hide it but if anyone honestly gives this game a 2 - 3 or 4 or even 5 is nothing more than a biased fool, play the game once then start talking about what score it deserves, my unbiased score is 7.5-8

op: i really hope we see the order 1887!!!

Add me if u want :)

curl-6 said:
If sales show quality, I'm sure you'll agree that Wii Fit is a better game than The Last of Us?

You are the one that said "sales show quality." What I'm saying is that sales indicate that people are ignoring review scores and that their own opinion of the game's quality isn't isolated to just a number. Understand?

As far as Wii Fit sales (mostly from casual non-gamers). Depends on if your goal is to get fit or to play an ingrosing survival game.

Around the Network
GameLogix said:
curl-6 said:
If sales show quality, I'm sure you'll agree that Wii Fit is a better game than The Last of Us?

You are the one that said "sales show quality." What I'm saying is that sales indicate that people are ignoring review scores and that their own opinion of the game's quality isn't isolated to just a number. Understand?

As far as Wii Fit sales (mostly from casual non-gamers). Depends on if your goal is to get fit or to play an ingrosing survival game.

Show me where I said that.

TheGoldenBoy said:
vivster said:
How are review numbers ruining gaming? Metacritic scores and sales do not seem to correlate.

This and sales don't always show what the better games are.

Exactly, sales usually indicate the better advertised games (and movies and books).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

PwerlvlAmy said:
Does this mean COD are some of the best games ever made... if sales = what determines if something is good

im confused D:

Not to talk about Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, Temple Run ...

That must be excellent games, I should start to play them. Only need a smartphone for that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

LOL

I'm not sure what the hidden agenda was. The reviews stated QTE and I didn't find many. There's a difference between QTE and pressing triangle to advance the story. Graphics, story, and characters are top notch. The only negative I could find is the game is on the shorter side. The reason for this is the game is built from the ground up, brand new IP, and released 1 year into the console cycle. There's a lot that can be done, yes but quality takes time.

How does a 2/10 review get posted on Metacritc? I thought 2/10 was broken and unplayable. User scores are 10's and 0's. Metcritic is broken. Something need to be done. Review numbers are ruining gaming.

The Order 1886 is a single player masterpiece in my opinion. I haven't talked or met a single person who disliked it. Sales will show what a great game it is. I can't wait for the sequel.

9/10

I'm interested in hearing other people's opinion like mine that owned a 360 or Xbox One and a PS4.

If you look up Metacritic, some reviewers are agreeing with you. Most don't. So, is Metacritic wrong, because it doesn't match your opinion? Nah.

If we assume, the distribution of tastes between reviewers is similar to the distribution of tastes between gamers, then the Metacritic-scores should be helpful for most, but not for all. That's all fine.

You simply have to learn, that quality and greatness of a game is nothing objective, but something highly subjective. So if you feel one way, there is no reason that the majority of gamers feel the same way. You should learn to enjoy the games you like anyways, despite major dislikement. And you should learn which reviewers have similar tastes to yours, to get better hints for purchase.

But with the general opinion displayed by reviewers I doubt we will talk in ten years about The Order like about Ocarina of Times.

GameLogix said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
vivster said:

This and sales don't always show what the better games are.

The phrase "Better games" is subjective. And that's his point. And you don't get to define what is better for me.

Over the last year or so, sales have shown that more and more people don't care what Metacritic rate their games. Evolve, Dying Light and The Order are proof of that.

What the fuck are you rambling about? Where did I define what a good game is for someone? I thought it was obvious what I meant about sales not necessarily indicating a game's quality. There are many factors that go into a game selling well. Marketing, overall appeal to consumers, release date, etc. Yearly franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed always sell well because they appeal to casual consumers and are heavily marketed. Does that mean they are good games? To some people yeah they are and others don't care for them at all. Games like Bayonetta and and the Souls games don't sell nearly as much as expected because they don't appeal to the general public. I fully expect The Order to sell well but that doesn't exclusively mean it is because it is a great game.

I personally haven't played The Order yet but I can see myself liking it since most of the problems people have with it I can usually ignore.