By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Have A Message for All Reviewers Out There.....

RolStoppable said:
vivster said:
How are review numbers ruining gaming? Metacritic scores and sales do not seem to correlate.

They dampen my enjoyment of games. For example, I got Yoshi's New Island and liked it, the next day I looked up the Metascore and never played the game again.

Totally i thought Fire Emblem on 3DS was shit, but then i looked up the metascore and now its one of my favourite games. 

Around the Network

The opinion is strong in this one.
Funny thing is everyone has them.

The reviews for The Order may not be to your liking BUT they do what they SHOULD be doing. Criticizing the flaws in all aspects of a game.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

curl-6 said:

So the review system is broken just cos a certain company's exclusives aren't scoring very high?

I mean, personally I don't give an damn about reviews, I've enjoyed plenty of games that were gutted by critics, and hated plenty that were praised to the moon and back.

But to be brutally frank, I think this backlash against reviews is mostly coming from people who are just upset that their favourite console's exclusives got panned.

This, this, THIS!!! A thousand times this. Personally I think fanboys are defending this game since it is a PS4 exclusive rather than gamers arguing about a game's merits.

I liked Nier (68 meta, 8.4 fan meta) while acceptings it flaws, and liked FF13 (83 meta, 7.5 fan meta) despite its short comings. Id probably give both those games about a 7ish.

Playstation_prophet said:

LOL

I'm not sure what the hidden agenda was. The reviews stated QTE and I didn't find many. There's a difference between QTE and pressing triangle to advance the story. Graphics, story, and characters are top notch. The only negative I could find is the game is on the shorter side. The reason for this is the game is built from the ground up, brand new IP, and released 1 year into the console cycle. There's a lot that can be done, yes but quality takes time.

How does a 2/10 review get posted on Metacritc? I thought 2/10 was broken and unplayable. User scores are 10's and 0's. Metcritic is broken. Something need to be done. Review numbers are ruining gaming.

The Order 1886 is a single player masterpiece in my opinion. I haven't talked or met a single person who disliked it. Sales will show what a great game it is. I can't wait for the sequel.

9/10

I'm interested in hearing other people's opinion like mine that owned a 360 or Xbox One and a PS4.

I wouldn't give a 9, since the game has its flaws, specifically in the length. But let's analysize the other critics:

- QTEs: honestly, aftre the reviews I expected a QTE fest. Didn't see any, only short QTEs.

- Cutscenes: "oh, the game is full of cutscenes". I'm waiting for this until now. Cutscenes are short and you normally have a short custscene/gameplay section. Reviewers are complete ridiculous. MGS4 (that I love) had massive custscenes (sometimes 1 hour) and it has a 94 Meta.

Well, graphics are really top notch. Like "best ever" top notch.

About reviews, they are broken. Another example is like Driveclub was butchered by not having a working online while BF4 got a 84 while being broken. The funny side is that BF has a terrible campaign with 6 hours and depends completely on the online side, while DC mainly uses the online to add little challenges to the races.

Maraccuda said:

The reviews for The Order may not be to your liking BUT they do what they SHOULD be doing. Criticizing the flaws in all aspects of a game.

I think his point isn't about the flaws, but the scores. Reviewers giving 2/10 for The Order. For me, 2 is a score reserved for broken messes, not working games. I've played Knack, it has some flaws (mainly checkpointing/save system) but it isn't a 50 game. Ryse has flaws (it didn't start to vary the enemies until halfway into the game), but it isn't a 50 game. Reviewers are just butchering games for no reason. It was ridiculous to see them give 70 to Alien Isolation and them indicate it several times for GOTY.

Around the Network
torok said:
Maraccuda said:

I think his point isn't about the flaws, but the scores. Reviewers giving 2/10 for The Order. For me, 2 is a score reserved for broken messes, not working games. I've played Knack, it has some flaws (mainly checkpointing/save system) but it isn't a 50 game. Ryse has flaws (it didn't start to vary the enemies until halfway into the game), but it isn't a 50 game. Reviewers are just butchering games for no reason. It was ridiculous to see them give 70 to Alien Isolation and them indicate it several times for GOTY.

I suppose but im sure most to every game gets a 2/10-like review from some low level reviewer. In all fairness low level reviewing companies like that should be excluded from a meta score. Not because they are low, but because they dont review enough.

torok said:
Maraccuda said:

the 2/10 is clickbait, just like the 95%.   happen to the most games...

but well, knack is a  50% game at best, ryse has a lot of flaws, an the graphic cant make up for bad gameplay and a joke of a story  and

Alien isolation is a realy bad game,its just boring, but the feeling you get a some points and the love to detail is GOTY worth.

I have a strong feeling that if this was a multiplatform game it would already be last weeks news, another game that simply failed to meet expectations, it happens.

Metacritic specifically, and reviews in general, are rubbish, but not just because they gave The Order low scores, they've been that way for a long time.

My advice, find a reviewer or a few reviewers who's tastes generally align with your own and leave behind this e-peen Metacritic nonsense, it's so juvenile it makes my brain hurt. I promise you'll enjoy your gaming much more if you do.

hsrob said:

I have a strong feeling that if this was a multiplatform game it would already be last weeks news, another game that simply failed to meet expectations, it happens.

Metacritic specifically, and reviews in general, are rubbish, but not just because they gave The Order low scores, they've been that way for a long time.

My advice, find a reviewer or a few reviewers who's tastes generally align with your own and leave behind this e-peen Metacritic nonsense, it's so juvenile it makes my brain hurt. I promise you'll enjoy your gaming much more if you do.

I think partially the game industry itself is part of the problem: Why did demos die? Seriously, let me try the game before I buy it! Make it time-limited (for games that actually are 10+ hours) or limit the team-selection in sports games or whatever. But let me try it! I want to build up my own opinion and don't want to rely only on professional users or fanboys where it turns out in the end were intentionally taking longer to beat a game to prove reviews wrong or early walkthrouhgs on youtube.

walsufnir said:
hsrob said:

I think partially the game industry itself is part of the problem: Why did demos die? Seriously, let me try the game before I buy it! Make it time-limited (for games that actually are 10+ hours) or limit the team-selection in sports games or whatever. But let me try it! I want to build up my own opinion and don't want to rely only on professional users or fanboys where it turns out in the end were intentionally taking longer to beat a game to prove reviews wrong or early walkthrouhgs on youtube.

demos are now called beta...