By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When have people started to basically judge a game based on length alone?

Mnementh said:
tiffac said:

Nah! The lenght of the game is only ammunition to downplay the game. The real reason its being hated is because its an exclusive.

This is known in the console wars. lol!

Really? Does Smash Bros, Sunset Overdrive, The Last of us, Bloodborne, Zelds get this much critics? The point is more similar to Watchhdogs: in the beginning the devs were creating high expectations and nearing release the expectations got smashed.

The developers never said how long the game is though. Watch Dogs had a severe graphical downgrade, The Order: 1886 looks the same now as it did during its E3 reveal.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
walsufnir said:
RolStoppable said:
People don't like The Order 1886. Length is just another reason that goes on the pile of reasons to call it rubbish; and this very specific reason is so popular right now because some people got their hands on an early copy, so now we know how long it is.

More generally speaking, length is a criterion that can be more objectively judged than the more abstract things like fun and enjoyment, so people latch on to that for comparisons. Even more objectivity can be found in the technical aspects of the graphics in any given game, hence the ridiculous pixel counting, even though most of the people who talk about those things wouldn't know the differences if they weren't pointed out to them by Digital Foundry.

This is very well written and is spot on.

Add to this that people want value for the mony they spend and also always want to be sure that their "decision" of buying the "best" system is justified every single second someone is talking about their system. This is why we are counting bushes on GTAV, exaggerate that bushes make a difference that is like a generational difference and that is why people are defending a single player only game with about 5-12 hours gameplay (the higher counts supiciously were not on youtube). It's an exclusive that differentiates your choice from the other so there is hope and belief the game is someething you can use in forum discussions to make you and your system look better than others.

Length again is something that, if other departments are lacking, adds to value. Or it lessens value which seems to be the case in The Order.

If its a good game its length wouldn't matter. If its a bad game, its length still won't matter.

Anyways, whether its good or bad, its definitely shaping up to be very unique.

It doesn't matter to you but it matters to me. But it is unique, yes. If this is an actual value (especially why people think it's unique) one has to decide.

I try not to care too much about the negativity surrounding the game. Especially here on VGC where the negativity comes almost exclusively from the same few people who have a known history of downplaying and nitpicking everything Sony.

walsufnir said:
GTAexpert said:
walsufnir said:
RolStoppable said:
People don't like The Order 1886. Length is just another reason that goes on the pile of reasons to call it rubbish; and this very specific reason is so popular right now because some people got their hands on an early copy, so now we know how long it is.

More generally speaking, length is a criterion that can be more objectively judged than the more abstract things like fun and enjoyment, so people latch on to that for comparisons. Even more objectivity can be found in the technical aspects of the graphics in any given game, hence the ridiculous pixel counting, even though most of the people who talk about those things wouldn't know the differences if they weren't pointed out to them by Digital Foundry.

This is very well written and is spot on.

Add to this that people want value for the mony they spend and also always want to be sure that their "decision" of buying the "best" system is justified every single second someone is talking about their system. This is why we are counting bushes on GTAV, exaggerate that bushes make a difference that is like a generational difference and that is why people are defending a single player only game with about 5-12 hours gameplay (the higher counts supiciously were not on youtube). It's an exclusive that differentiates your choice from the other so there is hope and belief the game is someething you can use in forum discussions to make you and your system look better than others.

Length again is something that, if other departments are lacking, adds to value. Or it lessens value which seems to be the case in The Order.

If its a good game its length wouldn't matter. If its a bad game, its length still won't matter.

Anyways, whether its good or bad, its definitely shaping up to be very unique.

It doesn't matter to you but it matters to me. But it is unique, yes. If this is an actual value (especially why people think it's unique) one has to decide.

I don't think it matters to you either since you've been criticising this game and showing your dislike for it since a long time. Actually you've been doing that with every PS4 exclusive, so I doubt you even have one.

marley said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

Well I dont know about the ending(and dont want to know), but on GAF most of the people who have played it say its pretty good. People have just run with the 5:45 playtime, maybe because that is the only negative coming out of anyone's impressions.

I have actually seen a lot of negative impressions of the game for everything except it's graphics.  I don't know how accurate they are because I haven't played it yet, but this article sums them up well: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/01/19/predicting-the-biggest-video-game-disappointments-of-2015-the-order-1886/.   I guess we'll know soon enough.

actually, the link you pointed was not based on ANYONE's impressions. I am referring to the people who have copies of the full game and have played it.

The past 6 months there was a slew of negative things about the game, but no one had played it, people were saying stuff based on what they though from watch limited gameplay footage. Now people have played it the big negative is its length thus the reason why certain people have run with it. If people were saying "the framerate is unstable" or "the controls are wonky" you rest assured there would be plenty of threads bashing that.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
Mnementh said:
tiffac said:

Nah! The lenght of the game is only ammunition to downplay the game. The real reason its being hated is because its an exclusive.

Really? Does Smash Bros, Sunset Overdrive, The Last of us, Bloodborne, Zelds get this much critics? The point is more similar to Watchhdogs: in the beginning the devs were creating high expectations and nearing release the expectations got smashed.

The developers never said how long the game is though. Watch Dogs had a severe graphical downgrade, The Order: 1886 looks the same now as it did during its E3 reveal.

True, but that's not how hype works. If you're hyped for something and the hyped thing lets you down, it doesn't matter if the letdown happens in the same area as the hype. The hype lets you feel you will get an overall great experience, so everything ruining it feels bad. The basic point is, that disappointed expectations (how justified the expectations were in the first place doesn't matter) is the reason the game gets flak, not being an exclusive. Watchdogs got flak without being exclusive, the exclusive I named didn't.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

GTAexpert said:
walsufnir said:

I don't think it matters to you either since you've been criticising this game and showing your dislike for it since a long time. Actually you've been doing that with every PS4 exclusive, so I doubt you even have one.

I don't do it for every PS4 exclusive and length is always a value for me, no matter what platform or game. I was talking generally.

GTAexpert said:
Mnementh said:
tiffac said:

No, it even looks better.

walsufnir said:
GTAexpert said:
walsufnir said:

I don't do it for every PS4 exclusive and length is always a value for me, no matter what platform or game. I was talking generally.

You do and I have seen you do it. You always find one or the other thing to downplay a PS4 exclusive, while always hyping XB1 exclusive. Pretty everyone knows what you've been doing for the past year, so there's no hiding it. Its too obvious to ignore, and I doubt anyone here who has a PS4 takes your opinion seriously on any PS4 exclusive.

That said I'm not saying that your "worries" for this game wouldn't be true, but that you seem to "worry" too much about the quality of a game when its a PS4 exclusive.

GTAexpert said:
walsufnir said:

You do and I have seen you do it. You always find one or the other thing to downplay a PS4 exclusive, while always hyping XB1 exclusive. Pretty everyone knows what you've been doing for the past year, so there's no hiding it. Its too obvious to ignore, and I doubt anyone here who has a PS4 takes your opinion seriously on any PS4 exclusive.

That said I'm not saying that your "worries" for this game wouldn't be true, but that you seem to "worry" too much about the quality of a game when its a PS4 exclusive.

I don't care what you take serious from me but I am not "hyping" any game for XB1 nor do I downplay every PS4 exclusive. In fact I said that Bloodborne was the best game for me at Gamescom but it is obvious people pick what they want to see :)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the game. Getting personal is not recommended and not welcomed here. And it doesn't help the discussion around this game in any way.