By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When have people started to basically judge a game based on length alone?

Wright said:
theprof00 said:

I just realized you're right. Lost Odyssey does take itself incredibly seriously.

"Incredibly seriously"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x99P8j88Ds

c'mon wright, you should know better.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

c'mon wright, you should know better.

marley said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

actually, the link you pointed was not based on ANYONE's impressions. I am referring to the people who have copies of the full game and have played it.

The past 6 months there was a slew of negative things about the game, but no one had played it, people were saying stuff based on what they though from watch limited gameplay footage. Now people have played it the big negative is its length thus the reason why certain people have run with it. If people were saying "the framerate is unstable" or "the controls are wonky" you rest assured there would be plenty of threads bashing that.

The article is a sum of previews given by critis that have played the demo.  It might not be the full game, but a demo is enough to critique these things:  "Clunky mechanics, Quick-Time Events, and a wonky camera".  Hopefully they just picked terrible parts of the game to demo, but the previews definitely don't paint a rosey picture (full game or not).  

the impressions were based on demos of specific points in the game. Also the people I am referrencing were playing the final version of the game, some things may have been cleaned up from the demo build. Again, the only negatives I have seen in impressions of people playing the actual game are its length and some people were not keen on the ending (no idea why, as I am going to wait to find out for myself this weekend)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

shloob said:
How can one not complain about a game like the order that has say 10 hours of solid single player gameplay for $60 but b*tch and moan about a game like Evolve that is also $60 and can offer unlimited replay-ability because of it's multiplayer aspect.

Not everyone likes multiplayer.  I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I play the multiplayer on about 1 out of 10 games I buy that has it.  I buy games for the single player content.  All this happened with Heavenly Sword was one of the first big PS3 releases and got trashed on for being too short.  I freaking loved that game.  I'm so pissed at myself for trading it back in.  I went through it 3 times, and would've more if it had trophy support.  

Multiplayer games get a pass for any arguement that has game length in it, even if you're just doing the exact same thing (deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF) over and over.  I would feel like I saw all the content in Evolve after an hour.  But that's just my opinion.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

When games started to cost 70 euros here. If its that expensive, it better deliver in value.

With that said, it depends on the game and how much of a replay value it has.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
tiffac said:

Nah! The lenght of the game is only ammunition to downplay the game. The real reason its being hated is because its an exclusive.

This is known in the console wars. lol!

Really? Does Smash Bros, Sunset Overdrive, The Last of us, Bloodborne, Zelds get this much critics? The point is more similar to Watchhdogs: in the beginning the devs were creating high expectations and nearing release the expectations got smashed.

You were just not looking hard enough and didn't see the hate.

This is the console wars. Every exclusive is hated. Lol!

artur-fernand said:

Yes, I thought of that because of The Order, but it's not the only example. I remember when Square came and said FFXV's main story was about 40 hours long and... that was considered too short by quite a number of people. Huh.

Ok, I get it. "$60 for a 5 hour game with no multiplayer is a rip-off", but isn't anybody considering that replay value usually comes from the sheer joy of just replaying the game just because it's fun? (never mind the fact that A LOT of people are already considering it's absolutely impossible for The Order to fit in that category, but that could be a whole other thread). Uncharted 1 could be beaten in a single day. I nearly did it. It has no multiplayer. But, to me at least, there's a fuckton of replay value, because it's a fun game. Portal 2 is EVEN SHORTER. There's the co-op campaign yeah, but that's about it.

But what REALLY confuses me is that games back in the cartridge era were more expensive AND SHORTER. Is something like Super Castlevania IV even 5 hours long? "Expectations were different back then" seems to be the standard explanation for this.

Not only that, but most people were kids back then. Meaning we all had virtually unlimited free time. So a 10 hours game was barely anything on this scenario. As we grow up, more and more responsibilites appear, and 10 hours can sometimes be a colossal length. And FORTY hours? Jesus.

Sadly, gametime is not the only thing people like to complain A LOT nowadays (the forbidden word "linearity" also comes to mind), which makes me both sad and infuriated at the same time, but I digress.

You make an assumption that it is fun. That isn't known yet and won't be till you play it, if you give it the chance. With a shorter campaign the chance I'll give it will be less because it might not be fun, or have replayability. Although, if it ends up being fun and a game you can play through a bunch of times then it's well worth it which is partly where the Castlevania refrence comes in I would assume, I haven't played IV but the others I have I have quite enjoyed and can go back and play them again and again. The same can be said for many short games like pretty much every Contra, Punch Out and many old school side scrollers. 

It is undeniable that as games did get longer it has created a new expectation for games though, one that has be created by the developers and gamers alike. For a single player game now days, 5 hours is quite short (of course that's a speed run) but we still have no idea about how good or fun it is. 

I agree though, there are times when some games are too long, but that's mostly due to them not being good enough to make up for the length. If a game is great, even though I don't have a huge amount of time for gaming like I did when I was young, I will continue to pick it up and finish it but it will be over a much longer time period than when I was a kid, but I will likely put the same amount of time into the game. The part that sucks now is that I have more money to buy more, but less time to put into games so I am going to be choosier. 

The snap judgement is annoying though. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

alabtrosMyster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

With that being said, I don't personally care either ways cause the reason I wont be getting it (apart from not having a ps4 but even if I did) is cause I don't like the black bars and not really cause of its "length" but thats just my opinion on the matter anyway

You see, even you who is trying his best to make an argument for some rationale behind game at 60$ should be around 10 hours, a game at 40$ around 6 12 (no matter the production values) what about the very long RPGs out there, should people pay 360$ for a 60 hour quest? What is considered padding (too many ennemies will make the quest much longer... big empty fields that you have to traverse will make the game longer too... or just long dialogs can stretch it not that I think that these aspects are inherently wrong...

We could as well put a value on size, a 20GB game is worth less than a 45GB one? after all it has to offer more somewhere to be this big?

I don't think there is a right answer, Metal Gear GZ was pretty short, but it had amazing production values and it's hard to argue it should be considered the same value as a game like Hotlie Miami (which I love too and got for free on PS+)... I am pretty sure hotline miami was much longer, however I spent about as much time on both (I have no idea how people finished Metal Gear in 1 hour or so, the first time I play I explore a lot and get acquinted to the area, it muat have taken me around 4 hours to finish).

As for the black bars... I can't force you to not see them, but I find it irrational, obviously, if that stopped you, there must have been other aspects that bothered you with the game, there is so much negativity around it and its coverage, I can't wrap myself around the kind of coverage it got, it makes zero sense how this game was singled out.

Well my argument is minimum amount of length for $60 and not like what games should cost/hour. And the production values also fall in the same argument as "other games also offer the same if not higher production value but still has longer length" sorta deal. And I am not even talking about rpgs, I am talking about other shooters that cost $60 but offer a longer experience. Heck, shooters that even have online offer a longer experience like Uncharted and The Last of Us which not only have high production value but also has longer length.

And putting a value on size is just nonsense since most of it is just uncompressed textures and videos and etc

Again, production values dont really matter cause of what I said before. And most likely, judging from the videos I have seen, this is certainly not going to be the best $60 game on the planet in other aspects apart from the length so the length does matter for a single player only game specially like this. And I think MGS GZ should be offered for free or less than $10 at best cause it is exploitative charging that much for an hour cause they knew that the fans would eat it up

And Black Bars annoy me a lot but I wont get into that again after the last lengthy conversation

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I don't want to spend 60 in a game to play it once in 5 hours, there are better options. The thing is, is all a combination of elements, when one is lacking the other should excel, if the game is short and lacks deployability it should have a Devine fun factor to be satisfying and in the case of the Order, is obvious is not that level of fun.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

The Fury said:
ikki5 said:

Really... it depends on the game. For example... CoD or other shooter games... you can beat the single player in a matter of hours but yet you can play the online for countless hours provided you don't get bored of it. An RPG/ adventure game where a story is involved.. you tend to want more game hours out of it because no one spends $60 to plays a child's short story. A Racing game, you may be able to go through all the tracks in a matter of hours but then the playing and racing against other people over and over especially online can make it well worth it. It just depends on the game.

Spec Ops: The Line - Not great gameplay, pointless multiplayer, such a superb story. Generally people don't care the main story only takes about 6 hours because it's a great one.

Because most people got the gmae in an indie bundle for $2-3 >_>