By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sanity Check: PS4 still on its path to 100m+?

So what's your number?

<100m 77 25.50%

>100m 119 39.40%

>120m 40 13.25%

>140m 27 8.94%

Half-Life 3 comfirmed! 39 12.91%

Total:302
Slarvax said:
Materia-Blade said:

So far sales were never high enough to put it on a path to 100 million. It would take a big YOY increase in 2015 for this path to open, but so far it's down 20% even with japan and stock.

Outselling every other console for most of the 1st year is the wrong path?

OT: Yeah, it will more than likely go over 100m. I do wonder if it will take as long as the Wii (I think that was 6 years)

I wonder if the Gen will even be 6 years long^^

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Easily so ...

There's no good reason to believe that this current generation will be shorter than the last generation ...

This time around both Microsoft and Sony will really start sticking to 10 years before they introduce a new platform to the market ...

vivster said:
Slarvax said:
Materia-Blade said:

So far sales were never high enough to put it on a path to 100 million. It would take a big YOY increase in 2015 for this path to open, but so far it's down 20% even with japan and stock.

Outselling every other console for most of the 1st year is the wrong path?

OT: Yeah, it will more than likely go over 100m. I do wonder if it will take as long as the Wii (I think that was 6 years)

I wonder if the Gen will even be 6 years long^^

It's not like it'll matter much. The PS2 sold until 2011, near the beginning of Gen 8. PS3 and X360 are still selling, even when PS4 and Xbone are getting real next-gen exclusives.

The 8th gen might be short, but PS4 will still sell.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Playstation never was a casuals console

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

I can see the PS4 outsell the PS1 by a small bit, but nothing beyond that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

It will depend on how fast they can get PS5 to be a cloud based console/service. If they can convert PSNow and get it ready in a 3-5 years then PS4 won't make it to 100m. This would be the best case scenario for Sony.

vivster said:
walsufnir said:
I think the most important thing to 100m is how long Sony is willing to sell the console. This gen both consoles don't have any advantage to pc beside the api but DirectX 12 is changing this to a good extend so let's see how it will work this gen.
I don't care because beside of emulation I don't care about pc (well, I do my work with it, though) but let's see how long it can keep going.

Didn't expect something like that from you. You're usually quite thoughtful.

Nothing in this gen changed in the advantages and disadvantages of consoles vs PCs. It's still the same factors that make people decide for one thing or the other. DX12 will change absolutely nothing. It will do nothing for the vast majority of PC gamers, let alone sway console owners to a PC.

I'm seeing mobile as the much more prominent competitor to consoles when stealing marketshare is concerned.

You think I am not this time?

Well, we have a set of parameters (which also apply to me) why one would choose a console over a PC and I don't want to repeat them as we all know how these discussions and dependencies work and probably had them before many times.

I just want to say that, although we had several gens now, we don't know how close connected tech is with success really as consoles always had a (subjectively) small advantage considering PC tech. This gen, there is no advantage besides of "bare metal" apis which can't compete with better PC hardware which is even more not counting with DX12. 

We have to wonder if devs are still willing to prefer consoles to "gimp" PC versions or if they are to take more advantage of what PC can do so to make console versions "appropriate". This is already in some way happening and we  already started the gen.

Perhaps people don't care taking less resolution (which would happen, of course) or don't mind having less IQ as we don't know how much people care about advantages and disadvantages about PC gaming in general. 

To me, again, I don't care. I will always prefer consoles gaming for several reasons. But if tech overtakes the consoles (which happened already before release of the console, mind...) I guess both MS and Sony are forced to release "something new" (PSNow, perhaps, although I doubt network tech is there in the next 10 years) to compete with tech in general.

Mobile? Well, to me this is just a different market because I look at it how I see it and mobile gaming is a nogo for me :) But I don't know how much it could possibly steal from the main market. I just hope it attracts people like the Wii did while not taking too much from the "core" market.

Its pretty likely that PS4 will fly north of 100 million. So far Sonys track record is 2/3 and all indicators point to a dominant return; morpheus probably won't do much to bolster sales but it will introduce that format to a core group of people who will ensure that VR will ultimately become the future.

small44 said:
Playstation never was a casuals console

PS2 is after the Wii the king of casual.

Even PS4.

I think with a shrinking console market, PS4 will end up like the Wii. It will sell like crazy for the first 4 years, then interest will start waning. PS4 will have better legs, but won't sell as high in 2014, 2015, 2016 as Wii did in 2007, 2008, 2009. So they'll probably end up about equal

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!