By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Truck Stop - Website Development Updates - Keyboard navigation, yes or no?

Would you enjoy the forums having keyboard navigation (J/K to move up and down a post)?

I'd like that A LOT! 24 22.86%

It would be nice to have 24 22.86%

I don't think I'd use it 30 28.57%

Not really 16 15.24%

See results 10 9.52%

Total:104
TruckOSaurus said:

What browser are you using on Win XP? I'm gonna guess it's Internet Explorer 7 or 8 and that it handles the font in a way that makes bold and regular seem very close together.

Lol, no. I use Firefox for both. Version 36.0.4 to be exact

I guess the bolded text for Windows is a bit different (if you look very closely) but only to a small extent..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Platina said:
TruckOSaurus said:

What browser are you using on Win XP? I'm gonna guess it's Internet Explorer 7 or 8 and that it handles the font in a way that makes bold and regular seem very close together.

Lol, no. I use Firefox for both. Version 36.0.4 to be exact

I guess the bolded text for Windows is a bit different (if you look very closely) but only to a small extent..

I guess it's Windows XP's fault then since on Firefox/Win7 the bold is obvious.

Signature goes here!

Machina said:
TruckOSaurus said:

So would a stickied thread with a new post appear in both the sticky section and the regular hot topics?

Yeah, that sounds fine.

Like Smeags said, the problem with our sticky system has always been that stickying a thread is often counter-productive, since it doesn't appear in any of the hot topics sections on the site, which is where (I imagine) most people access the forums.

If they were treated like regular threads for hot topics (but were still stickied at the same time), they'd get the visibility they deserve from hot topics while also being highlighted as important threads by being stickies.

That could work and would be an easy fix too!

Signature goes here!

Having the thread appear twice (when they have new posts) would be perfect I think. My eyes are trained to ignore stickied threads when I click on "Hot topics", I would notice them more if they appear among the regular threads but there are times when I'm looking for a stickied thread so having them at the top of the page like they are currently would still be useful.

Signature goes here!

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but there's something I've been thinking about that could be very cool (IMO) and I want to discuss it before I forget about it.

Would you guys appreciate it if VGC had keyboard navigation like what on sites like tumblr or 9gag where you press J to move to the next post and K for the previous post (I could even check for other shortcuts like R for reply, Q for quote). Think it would fit in our forums?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
I know I'm getting ahead of myself but there's something I've been thinking about that could be very cool (IMO) and I want to discuss it before I forget about it.

Would you guys appreciate it if VGC had keyboard navigation like what on sites like tumblr or 9gag where you press J to move to the next post and K for the previous post (I could even check for other shortcuts like R for reply, Q for quote). Think it would fit in our forums?

Honestly I wouldn't use it, it's easier and faster to use my mouse, but that's just my opinion, if it's not a ton of work for you then why not really, the people that would use it would like it.

TruckOSaurus said:

It's not something that I could see using (though maybe "B" for Ban would be used a fair bit ) but more options don't hurt. Multiple quotes, however, is something.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

They invented scroll wheels for that.. Besides.. I'm on a tablet.. No keyboard here... Go setup a test page for mobile.. I'll even help with the css and other stuff..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Regarding new features for the site:

I think enhancements are always welcome, especially if they're something you feel passionate about. But I really think that fiixng the current site is the most important thing. There are many tweaks that need to be made with the current form that I think supercede pet projects. That being said, if the improvements are simple and don't take much time or resources, bu all means keep the freshness coming.

But as NiKKoM stated, the mobile side of this site is where I think the best bang will come for your buck. I can't see my buddy list on mobile. That should be job one, as it encourages continuous and thougtful posting more than the hot topics list. Trying to pinch zoom the menu at the upper right corner is extremely difficult and oftentimes requires several clicks just to see if any of your comments have been responded to, quoted, etc.

super_etecoon said:
Regarding new features for the site:

I think enhancements are always welcome, especially if they're something you feel passionate about. But I really think that fiixng the current site is the most important thing. There are many tweaks that need to be made with the current form that I think supercede pet projects. That being said, if the improvements are simple and don't take much time or resources, bu all means keep the freshness coming.

But as NiKKoM stated, the mobile side of this site is where I think the best bang will come for your buck. I can't see my buddy list on mobile. That should be job one, as it encourages continuous and thougtful posting more than the hot topics list. Trying to pinch zoom the menu at the upper right corner is extremely difficult and oftentimes requires several clicks just to see if any of your comments have been responded to, quoted, etc.

Not to mention the pains of navigating between pages that are hidden by hover menus (on Chrome for Android, at least).