By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who thinks The Order 1886 Will Shut Up critics?

Will The Order 1886 Shut Critics up?

Yes 213 36.35%

No 289 49.32%

See Results 82 13.99%

Total:584
kitler53 said:

reviewers aren't going to even play the game at release,.. they'll just write up their old opinions and be done with it.

Well, I partially agree with this. They will still play the game, but with the "alright, let's do this bullshit" mindset. If you come into any game with any sort of negative attitude, your experience will almost definitely meet expectations. (Self-fulfilling prophecy, you could say.)

Around the Network

It looks cool, but I am apprehensive about the black bars. I don't want that to turn into a new standard companies use to copout on performance or inflate how "great" graphics are. I just want a good FUN game that takes up my TV space. I don't think that is too much to ask.  I am not sure if it will shut up critics.  I think Bloodborne will be the exclusive that blows critics away.

It will be much better than people think, a lot of people have been very positive towards it since the new demos were shown but people hang on to what they originally saw and the ones that hate on it constantly are going to be the Nintendo and Xbox fanboys that don't actually play it.

Thankfully it seems that traditional review scores are getting less relevant. Major outlets are doing away with them and games that don't review particularly well (like Destiny, Evil Within, Alien, etc.) are still selling well based on word of mouth. It appears that impressions from forums, friends, and YouTube personalities are gaining prominence which is only a good thing in my opinion.

Look at Driveclub and Dying Light. Reviews weren't kind to them but if you listened to a ton of people in reality, Driveclub is a fantastic racing game and Dying Light is an absolute blast to play. I expect the same thing to happen to The Order. It will underperform critically but be loved by almost everyone who actually plays it.

soulfly666 said:

It looks cool, but I am apprehensive about the black bars. I don't want that to turn into a new standard companies use to copout on performance or inflate how "great" graphics are. I just want a good FUN game that takes up my TV space. I don't think that is too much to ask.  I am not sure if it will shut up critics.  I think Bloodborne will be the exclusive that blows critics away.

If black bars are your big problem I feel sorry for you

Around the Network
celador said:
There are things I like about the game. The art style, the music, the setting, the weapons and the half-breeds, and whatever they bring to the gameplay and story, look good to me. Not sure how the gunplay will be, it doesn't look bad, and some of the weapons seem to have a real kick to them, but it is hard to judge from videos.

The AI doesn't seem great in the videos they have shown off so far. Aside from that, I expect the game to be slaughtered by reviewers for being linear (one of the worst things you can be in videogames today, unless you are talking about a 2D Mario platormer) and for having no multiplayer.

Expecting a sub 70 meta score

Yet Uncharted, Halo, God of War, Gears of War, and several other successful franchises are linear.

averagegamer515 said:
celador said:
There are things I like about the game. The art style, the music, the setting, the weapons and the half-breeds, and whatever they bring to the gameplay and story, look good to me. Not sure how the gunplay will be, it doesn't look bad, and some of the weapons seem to have a real kick to them, but it is hard to judge from videos.

The AI doesn't seem great in the videos they have shown off so far. Aside from that, I expect the game to be slaughtered by reviewers for being linear (one of the worst things you can be in videogames today, unless you are talking about a 2D Mario platormer) and for having no multiplayer.

Expecting a sub 70 meta score

Yet Uncharted, Halo, God of War, Gears of War, and several other successful franchises are linear.

But it is becoming a dirty word in some quarters.  Some reviewers have an open world or bust attitude, but what is even worse is the fact that there is no consistency.

It doesn't just affect shooters either. Driveclub was docked points with some reviewers for being a track racer, rather than open world like Forza Horizon 2.

Nope it won't. Doesn't change the fact that I am super hype for it though and feel that is has real potential and looks like it will be a blast to play! It will get docked for no MP, to linear, not doing anything new etc. In the end it will probably end up in the high 70's low 80's imo.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

alabtrosMyster said:

Some people probably already wrote their reviews, sometimes un-doing an idea or a conception is hard, and people do not like to be wrong... and well, some critics really do not like anything that's not "open world" or if it's not open world, it has to be on a Microsoft console for some reason, they get passes on many things.

Still, some already liked the previews, so it should be a mixed bag... I would not dare placing a bet on where it will end up, probably something like Sunset Overdrive or Infamous:SS in the low to mid 80s in total...

It will be quite funny to see the hypocrisy of those haring on the Order but prasising quantum break, a game with thé exact same "flaws" they see in the order

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

foodfather said:

Style over substance seems to be ( and rightfully so) under more scrutiny now than ever before.

The Order seems to be one of those games where gameplay, level design, AI etc took a back seat in the development phase. To put it eloquently, it looks like a complete pile of shit to me.

The game will score similarly to Beyond TS. Its a game that Sony should be quite frankly embarrased to put in in 2015. Graphics will only get you so far, gameplay is much, much more important. Driveclub is proof of this. 

You completely baffle me...may I ask what games you are looking forward to this year