By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where did Majora's Mask get all this love?

McDonaldsGuy said:
Pavolink said:
There's a Zelda Cycle part 2. Maybe you have not noticed, but there's lately a weird hate for OoT and a even more weird love for MM, TWW and TP.

I honestly don't know how to explain considering OoT is the more balanced one, while the others focus on certain aspects and forget about others.

Anyway, glad to see MM gets recongnition, but there's no way is the best Zelda.

You know what? I have noticed that lately. I never thought I would read "Ocarina of Time" and "overrated" in the same sentence but I have been reading that a lot more recently.

I see this all the time and I don't understand it...

If the general comsensus is that OoT is overrated, then obviously it's not overrated...

Regarding MM, I wasn't a huge fan when I first played it...

I picked it up again nine years later and found it to be brilliant...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

The big fanbase for MM has actually been around for while. I'd say I started really noticing it shortly after Twilight Princess' release when the fanbase started complaining about Zelda getting stale. It seems like that's when the huge appreciation for MM emerged due to how different it was and still is in the series. So yeah, I recall it being a thing online since at least '07, and it's only grown since.

After beating MM and OoT i asked for myself: why i like a zelda game? in which parts i spend more time and enjoying the experience? exploration, rewarding side quests, trying to get 100%. In this aspect, MM is far better than OoT.

And also, is awesome to play as a goron and zora. getting mask one by one, finding out what they do, the best sidequests ever, the spooky mood, with the all ikana passage, ghost aliens robbing cows, a man turning zombie alive, all the expressivity of the sadness of some characters when something bad happens and the best aspect: you can turn back in time and change your actions and change the destiny of the world.
Sorry OoT, but i like majoras more. since when i played it.

I haven't noticed a change. I've always LOVED this game. So effing awesome!

1doesnotsimply

It is because everybody really knows that is the far superior N64 Legend of Zelda game, but nostalgia has a bigger effect when people talk about Ocarina.

It's very similar to the whole Final Fantasy VII to Final Fantasy IX thing.

Come at me.

Around the Network

Zelda cycle. I do believe its TP turn next.

Augen said:
RolStoppable said:

Funny thing is that Majora's Mask working title was Zelda Gaiden.

Ha. The more you know.

As Rol said, Majora's Mask was known as Zelda Gaiden. Originally, it was an expansion from Ocarina of Time were you have to use the masks presented in the game. There was another expansion called Zelda Ura.

For development times, Zelda Gaiden becames Majora's Mask, a standalone entry, but improving only the grahics of Ocarina of Time. Zelda Ura never released.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

mii-gamer said:
Zelda cycle. I do believe its TP turn next.

It is already.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

People started appreciating it more after the more recent installments like Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, which were all disappointments.

Also the re-releases of TOOT and MM on the Wii VC and 3DS gave new interest to these games, especially MM which was overlooked when it was first released late in the N64's life.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.