By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where did Majora's Mask get all this love?

Easy answer; BEN happened.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

So what were we talking about anyway? Majora's Mask polarizes because of it's three day cycle. That's the core issue. Then we focused on the nitpicking because there was room for disagreement.

You know which game you have to play? Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, the fifth installment in the series. After about an hour, the game introduces the D-Counter. The dragon power within the main character slowly rises just by walking and is displayed in %. Transforming into a dragon allows you to execute powerful attacks to finish off bosses quicker, but each attack (as well as the initial transformation itself) comes at the cost of 1% or more on the D-Counter. Once you reach 100%, it's game over. You can resume your game as new game+ with the equipment and bonus EXP you've accumulated up to the point of your death, but you start right from the beginning again. How's that for a cycle?

Is this a real recommendation or a "play this awful game and you'll see just how bad Majora's Mask could have been" kinda thing? Cause I don't think MM is bad and I don't have anything against the three day cycle. I think it's kinda cool. It could have been done better, but I have no real objections to it.

RolStoppable said:

I like that game. It's what people don't like about Majora's Mask multiplied by 10, so you can imagine how much people hate Breath of Fire 5.

I'd try it for kicks, but I don't have a PS2. Your description kind of reminds me of Infinity Blade.

Pavolink said:
There's a Zelda Cycle part 2. Maybe you have not noticed, but there's lately a weird hate for OoT and a even more weird love for MM, TWW and TP.

I honestly don't know how to explain considering OoT is the more balanced one, while the others focus on certain aspects and forget about others.

Anyway, glad to see MM gets recongnition, but there's no way is the best Zelda.

Exactly. I also don't know where the hate for OoT came from. In the past it used to be called the best game ever, but nowadays we have a new thread every week saying that OoT was not that great, heck, there are some trying to say the game is bad or something.

You're probably right, maybe it's some other type of Zelda fan cycle. :p Maybe in the future people will say that Majora's was overestimated, etc.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

The OoT hate stems from it being #1 on nearly every "Best video games ever" list ever made. Whenever something is that acclaimed a group always forms that thinks it's "cool" to hate on it. Nevermind the fact that OoT legitimately is one of the best games ever made, even to this day,

Around the Network

It probably got it at the same place Zelda Wind Maker got this sudden draft of love?

Honestly, it seems a large swat of history is being re-written as we speak, some would like the younger players to think Nintendo always had the best games at all times on all systems since the NES days... While they have more than their share of classics, both old and somewhat new, not all their games are "great".

Now, Specifically Majora's Mask, it was a disappointment for many, and I think the remake should not change that, but who knows, maybe this generation of gamer is ready for this game?

2 words
Ben Drowned

I always loved Majora's Mask above all other Zeldas (It is my third fav game of all time and I have considered it such for many many years) but I'm more vocal about it these days because the game keeps being brought up in forum threads like this one, and youtube videos, and various blogs and articles.

Full respect to oot That's also a truly great game that really blew me away when I first played it. I still love it. I had a great time replaying it on the 3ds not long ago and it put some modern games I'd just been playing to shame.

It could be creepypasta's Ben Drowned story if i'm wrong. Ridiculous honestly... Yeah, generation.

Majora's Mask was actually 1st Zelda i played waaaaaaay back in 2001 as a kid, it was accident by the way, i thought it's Ocarina of Time.

artur-fernand said:
Raze said:

I've always liked Majaoras mask, I never beat it though, for one reason or another. I thought the game was clever. I am hoping it gets a Wii U remake like Wind Waker did.

Personally, I think Wind Waker was the worst of the series, and the least worthy to be remade/re-released. I hate WInd Waker with every essence of my being. Wind Waker is the Jar Jar Binx of the Zelda world to me.

Jesus. Other than sailing, which was insanely boring I don't know how nobody on the dev team noticed that, what's so bad about it?

the sailing, the lame cel-shading (especially after the tech demo that sown a much more awesome Link), the ease of the game. It was aimed for 6 yr olds introducing them to Zelda.It was a Zelda game not aimed at Zelda fans. It had none of the heart that Zelda games have. 

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com