By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where did Majora's Mask get all this love?

RolStoppable said:

Losing your bombs etc. is no big deal. Exit the town and slash some bushes. Why did you even mention something that is such a non-issue? The reason why it's not possible to finish the game in a single cycle (ignoring the first cycle that is spent on getting the ocarina of time) is that you need Epona and you can only get her on day 1 before Romani goes to bed. I've tried, but it's just not possible to beat the first two dungeons and get a bomb barrel before it's too late.

Your second paragraph is the prime example of someone who doesn't understand how the game works. I won't deny that the game doesn't do a good job at explaining everything, but many people choose to not inform themselves about anything (that includes a refusal to read the manual) because they don't like the idea of a time limit to begin with. The two simple steps to get around the problem you described are:

1. Have a basic grasp of time management. If you are already on day 3, don't bother to tackle an objective that you can expect to take long. A dungeon is the single-biggest task, so you would have to be an idiot to start one on day 3.

2. Reset the cycle after you've completed the last objective you think that you will be able to complete. If you are right in front of a dungeon on day 3, the final objective is the activation of the owl statue right before the dungeon. Reset the cycle, walk out of the town, slash bushes to replenish your bombs etc., warp to the dungeon, enter it. It's not rocket science.

I didn't become aware of the inverted song of time until I had reached the fourth area on my first playthrough, but I didn't consider the time limit a hassle because I knew when to stop and reset the cycle.

I didn't have any problems with the time limit because I would decide going into a cycle whether I wanted to progress the plot or bum around Termina for 3 days. Some people don't want to commit like that. It's as you said, they don't like the idea of a time limit. That's why I brought up 3D World, because it was faced with the same criticism before even being released.

Do you even have to slash bushes? Can't you just buy ammo from the shop? It's still a hassle. An arbitrary step added in the process of each cycle. I suppose it gives rupees a purpose but it's not as though the economy is 'balanced' compared to other Zelda games, you still get more rupees than you'll ever need, so spending them on ammo isn't any kind of sacrifice.

The fact that this is such a "non-issue" that it shouldn't even be brought up while TP and SS bemoaners whine about being reminded how many rupees a red one is worth is a discouraging reflection upon the Zelda fanbase.

Around the Network

I'm with Dengle here, the time limit was an annoyance that only made the whole structure of the game convoluted and offputting. 

I've always liked Majaoras mask, I never beat it though, for one reason or another. I thought the game was clever. I am hoping it gets a Wii U remake like Wind Waker did.

Personally, I think Wind Waker was the worst of the series, and the least worthy to be remade/re-released. I hate WInd Waker with every essence of my being. Wind Waker is the Jar Jar Binx of the Zelda world to me.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Well, after I saw that you can have masks with different powers I fell in love :D, and I only saw it from gamexplain's videos.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Raze said:

Personally, I think Wind Waker was the worst of the series, and the least worthy to be remade/re-released. I hate WInd Waker with every essence of my being. Wind Waker is the Jar Jar Binx of the Zelda world to me.

Around the Network

It may have been one of those games that slowly gained popularity or had a slowly growing cult following. For a good while, slowly slightly more and more people were talking about it and garnering a fan base to the point that now more people want to play it. That's my thoughts on that. I was one of those people that liked Majora more than Ocarina, as well as thinking FF6 is the best... >: )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Same place that Wind Waker retroactively did. The consensus for both games upon their launch, I remember clearly, is that while they did have their fans, and were both largely reviewed as being good games, they simply were not what a majority of Zelda fans wanted. Retroactively, both have become the internet gaming communities (seemingly) favorite Zelda games.

On the same token, when Twilight Princess was first unveiled, and then launched, it was met with near universal acclaim, and the general consensus was that THIS was the 3D Zelda that a majority of fans wanted. And then, retroactively, all the criticism started coming out of the woodwork.

Kinda funny how that works, eh? For my money, while both are decent games, I never really got into either one, and as far as I'm concerned, as far as 3D Zeldas go, TP is STILL the best 3D Zelda they have yet made, and while this new one certainly has the POTENTIAL to be amazing and totally surpass it, there is no telling yet whether it will come even close to living up to half of that potential (IE they don't find some silly way to fuck it all up).

So until a 3D Zelda comes along that does, in fact, totally blow TP out of the water, then TP is still the best, IMO.

curl-6 said:

I'm with Dengle here, the time limit was an annoyance that only made the whole structure of the game convoluted and offputting. 

I don't really have a problem with the time limit itself. I think it could have been done better, in a way that didn't add so many steps to the process. In that way, it was convoluted.

The Inverted Song of Time is a stupid idea. It permenantly 'nerfs' the 3-day limit. It is not difficult to obtain or to use, and there is no drawback to using it. All it does is add a step, and make the game drastically easier for the players who are in on the secret.

Taking away your ammo between cycles is stupid. It also creates a glaring narrative inconsistency since you keep all of your other items and your masks. It adds another non-challenging, arbitrary step to the cycle which drags down the game's pacing. The bank is there for your rupees, which is great because that can add another step to the process -- no, two steps, the second being making a deposit at the end of each cycle.

Every time you start a new cycle you're following a to-do list. It's not fun. It doesn't take long but this series has the nit-pickiest fans of any I've seen, and yet they conveniently overlook all of the opportunities to nitpick presented to them on a silver platter by Majora's Mask.

curl-6 said:

I've never been so tempted to poop directly onto my computer monitor.

I think it was because they took so long to bring it after ocarina 3D.

I think of it as, people tore apart Majora's Mask for not being Ocarina of Time. Like the game or not, you have to get that Ocarina of Time was one hella game to follow up on. Majora's Mask was very different. It wasn't what people wanted... at the time. Then years later, when people have (hopefully) become more reasonable, they go back to it after the sameiness of Twilight Princess and see how refreshingly different it is. Kinda like Luigi's Mansion and Wind Waker, people didn't like them because they were different. Luigi's Mansion wasn't a new Mario game, and Wind Waker had the cartoony graphics. Then later on, people saw them for what they were : great games in their own right.

TLDR: Times changed.