By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where did Majora's Mask get all this love?

ghost_of_fazz said:

Maybe you weren't paying enough attention, the love has always been there, it's just been getting more mentions thanks to the remake.

For example: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=9992&page=10

That thread is from 2007, 8 years ago, and Ocarina of Time was eliminated before Majora's Mask.

Thank you for once again for the trauma that comes with seeing Rubang's avatar.

*shudders*

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
sc94597 said:

Having been a fan of both series since my childhood, they are almost exactly alike. You have OoT/FF VII taking the nostalgia crowns because they were the first polygonal games in their respective franchises. You have people who prefer only the classics. And then you have the thing where a game is the favorite over a certain period of time since its release. You even have the same arguments about how one game is "less Zelda/Final Fantasy" than the others. 

Like I said, I'm not part of the Zelda fanbase (even though I enjoy the games), but I always thought they were similar from what I saw =P

Wind Waker was dismissed by A LOT of people back then, and today it's a fan favorite. Similarly, people dismissed FFIX at the time. Guess what? Fan favorite today.

And wasn't Twilight Princess fairly criticized at the time of release but today is enjoyed by most people, not unlike FFXII? And then you also have FFVI and ALttP taking the nostalgia crown in recent years, while OoT and FFVII are being considered "overrated"

Yep, a lot of the trends are similar. I think it might be because both series have more episodic formulaes (although LoZ does have a confirmed meta-plot) and they started at a similar time, experiencing similar advancements with generation changes. 

artur-fernand said:
sales2099 said:

Nostalgia overcomes reality every time.

This was, and rightfully so IMO, one of the most hated Zeldas.

- less dungeons, time limits are always bad, fierce diety too OP it made the end boss a cake walk.

Long story short, it didn;t compare to Ocarina, not by a long shot

Never got the "Fierce Deity is too OP" argument. Not only you have to get every single mask to get it, but you don't even have to use it. I myself got all the masks, but didn't use the Fierce Deity 'cause I wanted to see the "real" final boss.

And the Inverted Song of Time makes the time limit a non-issue.

Me neither. It was a well deserved reward for making the effort to finding all the masks. And time should never be an issue if you play the Inverted Song of Time at the beginning of the 3 days.

There has been a surge in discussion recently because of the impending release but I don't really think there has been a big swing in favour. The game always polarised, there were some who simply didn't like it, but that was only ever a minority, perhaps just a very vocal one. I think it suffered from being just a bit less than perfect, which at the time of its release, OOT was.

I think the main issue is that as good as it is, it was released quite close to OOT and has thus always been somewhat in its shadow.

Ask most to nominate a favourite N64 Zelda and OOT wins, MM is simply second place, albeit a most excellent second place.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time
http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask

The Inverted Song of Time doesn't make it possible to beat the whole game in a single cycle. You will still lose all of your bombs, arrows, etc periodically.

It's a similar situation to Mario 3D World. Giving the player "enough time" doesn't remove the presence of a time limit. It's still possible for someone to spend all of day 2 wandering around exploring because they don't feel like advancing the story, winding up short on time to finish the dungeon in day 3.

Not everyone knew about the Inverted Song, either. It's not like the game wouldn't let you progress without it. It has to be accepted as a nice reward for exploring rather than as an integral part of the experience, because if you treat it like everyone should have it then you are suggeseting that the game is poorly designed. If everyone should know the Inverted Song then it's an arbitrary addition to the game. They should have just made the days longer in that case.

That's not the case. It's a bonus for exploring. It's not to be assumed that everyone will have found it, just as it is not to be assumed that no one should have any trouble with the final boss because they can "just use the Fierce Deity Mask."

Around the Network

I think this game is part of the event that i call, the zelda remake cycle(yeah, zelda is so big that even has 2 cycles). Before 2011, people where like: wow, i really wish nintendo release a remake of OOT, it was the best zelda game ever, its really great, would love to step on it again. Then we got ocarina of time 3D.

After that, people started to say: well, that cool, but my really favorite zelda game was wind waker, was so cool, its sad that so many people didn't had the chance to try out, and windwaker HD was announced. then people started to do the same thing about link to the past, and link between world where revealed.

And then people started to care about majora mask. You see, on internet, people care more about games that still are not out than the ones that can be played rigth way. So, people imediatily started to care about it before was announced. I'm betting with anyone that once the game is out on the wild, we will start to hear people complaining about twiligth princess not recieving a HD version yet, etc.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Honestly, only 3D Zelda I haven't finished and didn't bother to even try. One day I might force myself (though it would probably be my kids who will force me) to do that, but it was initially off-putting for more than just silly time mechanics.

HoloDust said:
Honestly, only 3D Zelda I haven't finished and didn't bother to even try. One day I might force myself (though it would probably be my kids who will force me) to do that, but it was initially off-putting for more than just silly time mechanics.

I felt that way about Wind Waker. The sailing really turned me off from that game.

I don't know.. The thing I know is that I always liked Majora Mask! Not love or adore, but like!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ben Drowned.

I noticed a huge spike in interest when that creepypasta came out. Majora's Mask was always the black sheep. There's also some impressionable people out there who'll love it because other people love it. It won't be long until the internet demands a Twilight Princess remaster despite it turning into the least popular Zelda title over the past couple months.

It's like Xenoblade Chronicles, the game was a cult hit, that was barely mentioned until Smash Bros. And now it's everyone's favorite Wii game.