By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think Women Have Been Given Too Much Power In The Western World?

generic-user-1 said:
JoeAncelotti said:
No, still too many boring old men in politics and as big leaders. Also there's still a difference in salary between a man and a woman with the same function.

thats not true.. no study found a meaningfull difference between male and female payment if they count in everything. its just a lie that women get payed less for the same work. thinking that women get payd 20% less or more for the same job is just stupid. no person who worked a real job can taking this argument without laughing out loud. the most people dont get to argue about payment, they get payed the same like every other person thats doing the same job, there is just no way you could pay a female worker less than a male, the unions would sue you till your company is gone.

Exactly. People don't just stop and think how stupid this is. What person would stand for being paid less for doing the same job in the same company.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
badgenome said:
generic-user-1 said:

thats because the most older politicians are man, the young politicians arent just all old white dudes. but in the longrun men will allways outperform women in allmost every aspect, not because men are better in those aspects, but because men are better at keeping friends and alliances.

I'd agree with that. I just don't see any other areas where women a clear advantage, either. The only benefit to being a woman in politics is that (a) your male opponents have to be careful of being seen as either bullying or patronizing toward you, and (b) you are exceptional and therefore have novelty appeal, but as novelty wears off quickly this can be as much of a disadvantage as it is an advantage. And those are really only at play in democratic elections. Corporate politics are a whole different situation where those long term friends and alliances are mostly what matter.

they count alot at democratic elections too, you need shittons of money and help in the highest ranks of your party to get on the Ballot...

In our society, there are people who do not care about politics. People who never do any research on any given subject, yet value their feelings and opinions higher than that of the highly educated.

There are people who fail at school. People who never respect authorities. People who desire nothing more than to dictate what thoughts and opinions should be allowed to be expressed publicly.

Some people are easily impressionable. They watch and listen to the news every day through television and radio, expecting to hear the truth. They listen to representatives of their favorite political parties, expecting to get educated. And then they talk to friends and family to have their narrow-minded views validated.

Now, let's see what these people have in common:

- Their gender? No.

- Their religion? No.

- Their intelligence? Hardly.

- Their voting rights? Bingo.

Mr.Playstation said:
generic-user-1 said:
JoeAncelotti said:
No, still too many boring old men in politics and as big leaders. Also there's still a difference in salary between a man and a woman with the same function.

thats not true.. no study found a meaningfull difference between male and female payment if they count in everything. its just a lie that women get payed less for the same work. thinking that women get payd 20% less or more for the same job is just stupid. no person who worked a real job can taking this argument without laughing out loud. the most people dont get to argue about payment, they get payed the same like every other person thats doing the same job, there is just no way you could pay a female worker less than a male, the unions would sue you till your company is gone.

Exactly. People don't just stop and think how stupid this is. What person would stand for being paid less for doing the same job in the same company.

I don't think you quite understand how this works, Mr. Playstation. It's certainly not "stupid" when it's a proven fact. Unfortunately, that's how the world works. Things are improving and they have improved, yes, but there's still a long way to go.

Though I'm pleased to see this thread hasn't deteriorated too badly at this point. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I wouldn't say that they have too much power but they have more rights than men in the states. They have more rights with birth, parenting and marriage. Feminists do not believe in equaility amoung the sexes. They believe that women should have surperior rights to men, otherwise they would try to even out some of the laws. 

If feminists want to improve women's rights in a meaningful way, there's plenty of countries out there with fucked up views of women. In india, not that long ago, two young women that were on the way to use relieve themselves in the fields but were gang raped then hung in a tree. A lot of politicians over there say all kinds of things that would put feminists here in a super saiyan state of rage. They have a "boys will be boys" mentaility about rape in general. Ironically, india has the most internet users in the world.

Around the Network

Yes!! Sharia Law Sharia Law Sharia Law!

But seriously, no.
Lower wages. Less positions of power. Almost no representation in Politics.
Even the most equal country in the world (Finland?) Still had super big differences.

And like any other male-dominated website, people will deny it with all their might.

Conegamer said:

I don't think you quite understand how this works, Mr. Playstation. It's certainly not "stupid" when it's a proven fact. Unfortunately, that's how the world works. Things are improving and they have improved, yes, but there's still a long way to go.

Though I'm pleased to see this thread hasn't deteriorated too badly at this point. 

It isn't stupid, but it is seriously overstated. From AAUW's own study:

Yet not all of the gap can be “explained away.” After accounting for college major, occupation, economic sector, hours worked, months unemployed since graduation, GPA, type of undergraduate institution, institution selectivity, age, geographical region, and marital status, Graduating to a Pay Gap found that a 7 percent difference in the earnings of male and female college graduates one year after graduation was still unexplained.

Similarly, Behind the Pay Gap found a 12 percent unexplained difference in earnings among full-time workers 10 years after college graduation. Other researchers have also found that the gender pay gap is not fully accounted for by women’s and men’s choices.

So when they actually control for things like qualification and life choices, the disparity is nowhere near the 22% they flog in all their press releases. And this is from an advocacy group. Other studies have found that the gap either nearly or completely vanishes after such corrections.

No

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

badgenome said:
Conegamer said:

It isn't stupid, but it is seriously overstated. From AAUW's own study:

Yet not all of the gap can be “explained away.” After accounting for college major, occupation, economic sector, hours worked, months unemployed since graduation, GPA, type of undergraduate institution, institution selectivity, age, geographical region, and marital status, Graduating to a Pay Gap found that a 7 percent difference in the earnings of male and female college graduates one year after graduation was still unexplained.

Similarly, Behind the Pay Gap found a 12 percent unexplained difference in earnings among full-time workers 10 years after college graduation. Other researchers have also found that the gender pay gap is not fully accounted for by women’s and men’s choices.

So when they actually control for things like qualification and life choices, the disparity is nowhere near the 22% they flog in all their press releases. And this is from an advocacy group. Other studies have found that the gap either nearly or completely vanishes after such corrections.

You're right, an awful lot of this comes down to education and how people are brought up. I don't think the gap is noticable when you compare one job to one job (after all these sites are well known for their unreliability), but then perhaps we have to go back earlier to childhood where women are encouraged and discouraged from certain professions; which affects their career and then impacts how much they are paid thereafter. 

Anyway the point of the thread is whether or not women have too much power. I don't think that women do. Things are about as close to equal as they've ever been, which is great news. There's still a way to go before everyone sees men and women as equal, but that's to be expected. That doesn't mean that, all of a sudden, women have "too much power".

Extreme feminists also have the same issue, but that's a different topic altogether.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Mr.Playstation said:

With the feminism culture being so strong in the western world especially the U.S.A do you think that woman nowadays have too much rights and power? Do you also think that man are starting to be known as second class citizens?

Disclaimer: Please do not let this thread go out of hand. Don't just say feminism sucks, state a reason why it sucks if that is your opinion.

Women are not all feminists. Maybe you should change your title to reflect that because the op and title are very different questions in a Fox News kind if way. Yes feminists ask for too much. No, women do not have too much power and in 99% of industries, they are the underdog for no apparent reason.