By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think Women Have Been Given Too Much Power In The Western World?

No, the women have now the rights they deserve since a long time, in some countries they still are seen as inferior too men, which is not normal in my opinion.

Around the Network

If women really got paid less than men would people not just hire women. At the end of the day its bullshit that women get paid less than men. Also no I don't think women have too many rights in the western world, it should be equall, also feminist do suck no reason needed except the keep bringing up the pay thing

old skool

Everyone should be equal. Equal power, equal rights.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Conegamer said:
badgenome said:
Conegamer said:

I don't think you quite understand how this works, Mr. Playstation. It's certainly not "stupid" when it's a proven fact. Unfortunately, that's how the world works. Things are improving and they have improved, yes, but there's still a long way to go.

Though I'm pleased to see this thread hasn't deteriorated too badly at this point. 

It isn't stupid, but it is seriously overstated. From AAUW's own study:

Yet not all of the gap can be “explained away.” After accounting for college major, occupation, economic sector, hours worked, months unemployed since graduation, GPA, type of undergraduate institution, institution selectivity, age, geographical region, and marital status, Graduating to a Pay Gap found that a 7 percent difference in the earnings of male and female college graduates one year after graduation was still unexplained.

Similarly, Behind the Pay Gap found a 12 percent unexplained difference in earnings among full-time workers 10 years after college graduation. Other researchers have also found that the gender pay gap is not fully accounted for by women’s and men’s choices.

So when they actually control for things like qualification and life choices, the disparity is nowhere near the 22% they flog in all their press releases. And this is from an advocacy group. Other studies have found that the gap either nearly or completely vanishes after such corrections.

You're right, an awful lot of this comes down to education and how people are brought up. I don't think the gap is noticable when you compare one job to one job (after all these sites are well known for their unreliability), but then perhaps we have to go back earlier to childhood where women are encouraged and discouraged from certain professions; which affects their career and then impacts how much they are paid thereafter. 

Anyway the point of the thread is whether or not women have too much power. I don't think that women do. Things are about as close to equal as they've ever been, which is great news. There's still a way to go before everyone sees men and women as equal, but that's to be expected. That doesn't mean that, all of a sudden, women have "too much power".

Extreme feminists also have the same issue, but that's a different topic altogether.

extreme feminists are payed so bad because they studied bullshit like gender studies... i think the biggest problem for female wages is sexism against MEN, not againsts females. a stay at home dad faces a lot more problems than a stay at home mom, its realy unattrativ for men to stay at home and raise the kids, even if the mother of the kids makes enough money that the dad could stay at home. i allready taked about the other big problem, that society says that its totaly fine for women to be bad at math, you cant get into a lot of wellpayed jobs if you are bad at math. the 3rd problem i see in some countrys is weak unions. ohh and a funny sexist part in one of your sources... "I'm pleased that every FTSE 100 board now includes a woman and more businesses are recognising the skills and experience that diversity brings to a workplace."" white higher middleclass women and men share a lot more skills and experiences than none white higher middle class men and white higher middleclass men. thinking that you get diversity by employing men and women from the same socialbackground is just stupid sexism..

There is a way to start a dialogue about men's issues productively.

This... is not that way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

They don't need to be given anything. They should already have every right that a guy has. It's getting somewhat better in the western worlds but some of those eastern countries literally have it as:

1. Men
2. Cats and Dogs
3. Door mat
4. Women.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

What? are you from Islam?  

Some dude from Islam told me that we didn't respect our women, cuz they was allowed to wear what they wanted to wear. so if the women have Equal rights here offends you. fuck off. if you was refering to the feminist groups of today? they can fuck off.. they lost their purpose years ago. Instead of actually doing something with a legit problem, they are fighting for the rights to walk around nude.

Equal rights is the way to go. Even if it's mandatory military service. 

User was warned for this post.

--Veknoid_Outcast

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Areym said:
They don't need to be given anything. They should already have every right that a guy has. It's getting somewhat better in the western worlds but some of those eastern countries literally have it as:

1. Men
2. Cats and Dogs
3. Door mat
4. Women.

but if we drone those countrys the women are still not happy with us...

Women have, and have not, been given too much power in the Western World.

Reasons for Have:
1. Children - Go through a divorce/separation or have a child out of wedlock, and you will see what I mean. The courts are often times leaning in favor of the woman. Men have gotten the bad rap of being deadbeats, abusive, uncaring, etc. Courts tend to side with women. I had always heard this and assumed it to be false, but then I experienced it first hand. The woman has the power here, and way too much of it.

2. Sexual Harassment - Women, again, come out on top here. They can accuse any guy of anything, and whether something comes of it or not that guy that was accused of something is remembered for that. The thing I am most sick of are the amount of women who yell, "Rape!" Please note, I am fully aware that there are women who get rapped. Go to the police. Report it. Fight to get that person behind bars. My point is that there are women who say rape just because they can. Boyfriend pisses them off, leaves, or cheats on them - let's say rape. Someone at work does or says something they don't like - let's say rape. The worst thing is when one person cries rape, and then others flock to it just to get their ten minutes of fame/sympathy/whatever. Again, if it actually happened, report it. But there are a lot of cases where it's found to be false, but the guy still has to be remembered as the guy in court being charged of rape. Whether or not he did it, that's his title.

3. Legal stuff - Referring mostly to tickets, fines, etc. This one probably won't be considered fair since it's dependent on the judge/cop/whoever, but when a woman gets pulled over for speeding, and she can just unbutton the top of her shirt to get out of a ticket, that is a disgusting abuse of power (the power of her body). My girlfriend told me she got out of tickets a lot this way, and I told her that if she ever does that again, and I find out, that I will leave her. I don't want her to get a ticket, but she isn't a f***ing whore.

Reasons for Have Not:
Everything else.

Ka-pi96 said:
Paatar said:
Everyone should be equal. Equal power, equal rights.

Equal power? Or equal oppurtunity to get power?

There's quite a difference there...

Since there's no such thing as equal power then that leaves only equal oppurtunity to get power. Even equal oppurtunity is still unlikely.