By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think Women Have Been Given Too Much Power In The Western World?

curl-6 said:

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but a gaming website probably isn't the best place to have this debate. Granted, VGChartz is one of the more civilized and mature gamer forums, but sexism is a deeply entrenched problem in gaming culture, to the point where women can barely play online with chat on without being harrassed. 

Many still view gaming a man's territory and feel threatened by women "encroaching" on it. This leads to an almost automatic backlash against all things women's-rights related.

Also, there's an instinctive motive to protect one's privilege, as we see in politics with the old, white, heterosexual male elite blocking equal rights for blacks, women, etc.

If people really wanted to improve their current situation and to better the lives of their children, they would try to work together with everyone to achieve it. Communities working together to control street drugs, crime and overall living conditions. Politicians that try to foster unity amoung people and pass bills/laws that help everyone first then help out special interest groups. 

Rich white people are not some villians that spend all of their time trying to figure out ways to screw minorities out of their rights and money. They honestly have better shit to do like enjoy their wealth and make sure they keep it. They can do that with an honest business and just by being smart about it.

Just about everyone in the states except illegals and criminals have a fair shot at a decent future if they try to go to college or open up a decent business. If there wasn't equal rights or fair privilege then minorities wouldn't have a shot at either. There's plenty of rich/powerful women out there. 

FYI, the majority of liberals are rich white people who create division just to get votes from special interest minorities. 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but a gaming website probably isn't the best place to have this debate. Granted, VGChartz is one of the more civilized and mature gamer forums, but sexism is a deeply entrenched problem in gaming culture, to the point where women can barely play online with chat on without being harrassed. 

Many still view gaming a man's territory and feel threatened by women "encroaching" on it. This leads to an almost automatic backlash against all things women's-rights related.

Also, there's an instinctive motive to protect one's privilege, as we see in politics with the old, white, heterosexual male elite blocking equal rights for blacks, women, etc.

If people really wanted to improve their current situation and to better the lives of their children, they would try to work together with everyone to achieve it. Communities working together to control street drugs, crime and overall living conditions. Politicians that try to foster unity amoung people and pass bills/laws that help everyone first then help out special interest groups. 

Rich white people are not some villians that spend all of their time trying to figure out ways to screw minorities out of their rights and money. They honestly have better shit to do like enjoy their wealth and make sure they keep it. They can do that with an honest business and just by being smart about it.

Just about everyone in the states except illegals and criminals have a fair shot at a decent future if they try to go to college or open up a decent business. If there wasn't equal rights or fair privilege then minorities wouldn't have a shot at either. There's plenty of rich/powerful women out there. 

FYI, the majority of liberals are rich white people who create division just to get votes from special interest minorities. 

The elite have a vested interest in keeping their advantage over less powerful classes. Hence why rights for women and blacks were vehemently opposed by conservatives of the time.

It's got nothing to do with white people being evil (I'm white) just the fact that those with power and privilege want to stay that way.

ZombieJesus said:

This is nothing but sexual dimorphism. Women often choose to have babies (surprise) which necessitates time off from demanding positions such as those at the upper echelon of business, which can either enamor them or put them far behind peers in the ladder.

I think it is a little extreme to say babies are the issue. Lets take a look at Fortune 500 companies. The average age of a F500 CEO is mid 50's and yet there are only 20 something F500 companies run by women. I'm sorry, but if a woman has 2 kids in her early 30's, misses a total of 12 months of work in her entire career for this, she has another 20 years to continue advancing her career (keep in mind many males will likely miss some time too).

If you truly believe missing 12 months of work in the early 30's due to babies is the cause of only 5% of women being CEO's of F500 companies instead of 50%, you are delusional.

It actually got me interested in another sector who you would expect to be behind their peers as well: Military Personel. Whether they get started in their career later, or have to take time off for training, etc., the reality is, one wouldn't expect them to advance in their career as quickly as somebody their own age who was able to work solely on advancing in their corporate ranks. Yet 9% of F500 CEO's have military experience, which is damn near the % of the US population that is either on active duty, or is a veteran.

So it seems that despite military personel not being able to dedicate 100% of their time towards the corporate world, they are still proprortionally represented in the CEO role of F500 companies...yet women, who may miss a years worth of work in their career for a baby...represent a measley 5% instead of 50%.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Ninsect said:
Women still get lower wages in the western world, for the same jobs. They are also in less "positions of power", less CEOs etc...

This is actually not true. There are *more* female CEOs than male.

The wage thing could be accounted to maternity leave, and less working hours, etc.

To answer OP's question, yeah. The fact that I have to pay my way through school and end up in tens of thousands of dollars in debt while woem get a free ride (CS) pisses me off. Why is there no big bruhaha over trash collectors or coal minors, most of which are men, Why do they target technology and video games so much while ignoring the others? Just because I have a penis doesn't mean I don't deserve help or that it's easier for me to pay through school. Why should a less qualified woman geete a job instead of me? Because of some quota? F that.

Also, if I tell someone I was raped or molested by a woman, I'd get laughed at. If a woman says I raped or hit her, even without evidence I'm spending time in jail. Thats 's scary. 

Say I get married. Divorce = losing half my shit. Have kids? Well, too bad, because they'll more than likely end up with the woman. Let's not forget about alimony.

Frankely, women have it very easy here in the west.

edit: also, guess who has to go off and dies in wars? hint: men. As a matter of fact, in order to vote in the states, men have to sign up for conscription. 

Another daming thing is that if an older woman kisses a young child, it's considered "cute". Switch the Old woman with a man, and see what happens. In both cases, pedophillia is occuring, yet only one will get charged. It's a damnming double standard. Both sould be sent to the slammer, yet they won't get the woman. Something like this actually happened at a high school in the states with a student and two female teachers. They weren't charged. Fucking scary man.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, its the illusion of knowledge

curl-6 said:

To be fair, no one can play online without being trolled or flamed. I've gotten plenty of threats sent my way, yu just have to ignore them or make a few witty comebacks of your own. This is the internet. No one knows what you are. Man, woman,child, dog or frog, it doesn't matter. It's an equally shitty place for everyone. Complaining about it will 1: only make it worse and 2: piss people off. Seriously, there is nothing more annoying than a special little snowflake that couldn't handle a little bit of crap and feel the need to make a giant issue out of it.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, its the illusion of knowledge

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The elite have a vested interest in keeping their advantage over less powerful classes. Hence why rights for women and blacks were vehemently opposed by conservatives of the time.

It's got nothing to do with white people being evil (I'm white) just the fact that those with power and privilege want to stay that way.

Some of women's rights are too overboard in some sense and need to be changed. Specifically the parenting, divorce and childbearing/birth rights/laws.  

The elite (republican and democrat) don't need to bother with trying to keep anyone down in our country. People do that to themselves. They rob, steal, rape, kill, bully, maim, riot and spread disease amoungst eachother. If they were truly oppressing people then common people wouldn't be allowed to own businesses or go to college. Anyone can reach far beyond their current place in society. Republicans don't get in the way of people wanting to work or own a business. They push and push people to better themselves. Who gives you a bunch of free stuff for doing nothing and if you have kids, you get even more free stuff?

Aeolus451 said:
curl-6 said:

Some of women's rights are too overboard in some sense and need to be changed. Specifically the parenting, divorce and childbearing/birth rights/laws.  

The elite (republican and democrat) don't need to bother with trying to keep anyone down in our country. People do that to themselves. They rob, steal, rape, kill, bully, maim, riot and spread disease amoungst eachother. If they were truly oppressing people then common people wouldn't be allowed to own businesses or go to college. Anyone can reach far beyond their current place in society. Republicans don't get in the way of people wanting to work or own a business. They push and push people to better themselves. Who gives you a bunch of free stuff for doing nothing and if you have kids, you get even more free stuff?

In terms of child custody and alimony women do have an unfair advantage. Though on the other hand, they have to fight for the right to control their own body.

And since the elite are generally the ones who choose who to promote and endorse, its very easy for them to control who gets to join their golden palace club.

I'm not going to bother to read every single post in this thread. I'll just simply state my opinion that it depends on the situation. In certain circumstances, women have an unfair amount of power, but in many other areas women still are treated as second-class. The fight for equal rights, even with "race", is not quite over yet. In fact, I believe it would be almost impossible to fully enforce it without imposing on many freedoms we aren't already imposing on.

Though I do see that there IS a trend (hopefully it will fix itself) to try to marginalize the problems men face.

Im not quite sure why this thread has been kept open for as long as it has been.