By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think Women Have Been Given Too Much Power In The Western World?

DeadNotSleeping said:
"With the feminism culture being so strong in the western world especially the U.S.A do you think that woman nowadays have too much rights and power?"

No. They have significantly less political and financial power as their male counterparts and are outnumbered in positions of authority. As for rights, they have the same rights as men, however, they are more likely to be violated than a man's.

"Do you also think that man are starting to be known as second class citizens?"

No. Just...not even close.

Pretty much this.  When most of our laws are written by men,I dont see how we can possibly be second class citizens.  

I still dont understand all the hate for femenists.  Sure there are some extremists, but what is wrong with fighting for or defending women's rights?  I may not like peta, but am i supposed to hate everyone who fights for animal rights?

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Western culture is the reason women have rights in the world. Your "other ethnic and religious groups" have done a fairly great job opressing them, in fact, and often think a lot like your "old white men" when it comes to social and cultural standings. Why do you think Proposition 8 got approved on California, out of all places? I don't think you are looking at the whole picture and instead opt for a manichean view of the world where everything traditionally western is evil, when your dearly held values came from the West, and everything else is good, and forgetting what non-western values were actually like.

Haha, well said. It's a funny old liberal habit going back to the birth of western liberalism when Saladin was rescued from obscurity and turned into a beacon of light and tolerance while the historically revered crusaders became reviled as brutes and fanatics. It is just as simplistic and ridiculous as the opposite view, only more sophomoric.

The OP is 15 and will almost certainly mature, but I don't hold out much hope for a 42 year old developing a more nuanced worldview.

morenoingrato said:
Fusioncode said:
Threads like this are the reason this site has barely any female users. Should have been locked after the first post.

Agreed. This is the internet in a nutshell.

It gets worse. Sites like 9GAG and Youtube hate anything related to women. If it were up to internet users, women would lose all their rights.

where is the hate ? the only hatefull things are clearly jokes(or how ever the Aussies call their primeminister...)

Hhmmm...let me think...nope, don't think so. I'll elaborate when I get out of work.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

haxxiy said:
niallyb said:

Ill give the  OP a pass because he's 15 and so clearly doesnt have the experience to really understand. Its possible he's asking a genuine question and not trolliing.

But dear OP - women are woefully underrepresented at senior political positions and in the executive suites in corporations. They earn 79cents for every dollar a man makes.  They are still not guaranteed equal protection under the constitution.

When old white republican politicians are passing leglislation on womens health   - without actually talking to any women, its pretty clear there is a long way to go before they reach true social equality.  The Equal rights amendment still has not passed  -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rights_Amendment - primarily because congress is full of rich old white men who are more interested in protecting their privilege and are generally threatened by the notion of true equality.

Spend more time talking to women, gays, other ethnic and religious groups. In fact do it as much as you can. Its the only way you'll understand them.   Then one day you will laugh at the naievite of your post.   On the other hand - if you don't reach out and learn from people who are different from what youve experienced up to now, then you run the risk of growing up into an old bigoted republican who is afraid of everthing.

Now go ask your mom the same question you asked here.  See if she will make it a serious  discussion for you . You'll learn a lot about the extra bullshit your mom had to put up with in her life, just because shes a woman.

Western culture is the reason women have rights in the world. Your "other ethnic and religious groups" have done a fairly great job opressing them, in fact, and often think a lot like your "old white men" when it comes to social and cultural standings. Why do you think Proposition 8 got approved on California, out of all places? I don't think you are looking at the whole picture and instead opt for a manichean view of the world where everything traditionally western is evil, when your dearly held values came from the West, and everything else is good, and forgetting what non-western values were actually like.

ROFL at almost everything you wrote.  Western culture is not the sole reason that women have any rights in the world (see ancient Egypt).  In fact for a most of the last 2 thousand years in the west  - a woman was the property of her husband and had no legal rights of her own (England until the 18th century, Ancient Rome etc)

You've shown off a massive amount of prejudice about anything that isnt white, western and male - and remarkably little knowledge. You also have trouble reading,  I never said that women had more rights in other places (though they do  - see Sweden and Ireland).  I was making the point that diversity is important and he can only hope to understand others if he makes an attempt to engage with them.  I pointed that out in the hope that the OP would use it as an opportunity to grow out of his current state of total ignorance. He's only 15 and deservesa responsible answer instead of prejudiced rantings.

I do love thought that you tried to make me responsible for all non western cultures and gays by calling them mine.  I'm from Ireland and have lived in several countries (all western) and have dual American/Irish citizenship. However I have many friends from different backgrounds and have travelled a LOT and unlike you I understand that people deserve respect.

Its an empirical legal fact that women don't have the same rights and opportunities as men in the US.  It's not an opinion statement.    They deserve full equality.

Insulting people because they believe in equality makes you look very small indeed. I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend. I'm guessing youre straight because no gay man would listen to such prejudiced muck for long.

niallyb

Around the Network

I'm guessing most of the posters here came rushing in without actually talking to any women about the topic. They are quite well situated to explain how life is different for them - being actual women and all.

Making ignorant pronouncements about women having too much power - without actually talking to any women about their experience is wonderful self reinforcing proof of the sexism gamers are famous for. I guess it will take some people a long time to learn the lessons of gamergate.

Advice - if you're going to speak on behalf of a whole class of people, get to know them first. Otherwise you look like that moron Rick Perry when he talks about gay people, despite never having had a serious conversation with one.

All of you have mothers. They would all be very hurt to see how little respect their sons have for women.

niallyb

Netyaroze said:
Not sure. I think women have the same rights in the western world as men do. The wage discrepancy is not there if you take into account that women often dont go into high paying proffessions like mathematics, engineering, software. But instead to chose stuff like art, womens studies and so on. Eventhough they get preferential treatment for these subjects where they are underrepresented. There are more women then men on college in total. And there is more female voters then male voters. So infact women are prefering to vote men into political office apparently.

In the pure legal sense it varies by country.  Sweden, The Netherlands, Ireland, France and Germany offer a far more equal opportunity landscape for women than the USA.

Now the old engineering thing - you have a point but its a limited one, It speaks more to the sexsim in the eductional system in the US.  The situation is not the same in germany for instance so clearly its not that women are innately terrible at math.  Additionally - in the US the disparity has only really become prevalent in the last 30 years or so.   In general very few americans choose engineering, math  or science degrees relative to their european or chinese counterparts.  Its a serious problem for the likes of google , facebook and all the top trading firms. And its why they import so many dutch and Irish electronic engineers, russian mathematicians etc. The working environments in those firms have a lot more women than you might think.    But they are not usually american.

Its also a big reason why google and apple etc do so much of their engineering work in Europe.  Generally college in Europe is MUCH MUCH cheaper than the us (tuition is free in most EU states).  So the big tech firms set up shop to take advantage of the readily available workforce. (That and Irelands low corporate tax rate)

Some stats here if you want to study it more. Its definitely an interesting problem http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/wmpd/2013/tables.cfm.  It would be interesting to compare those stats with Germany (where proportionately far more students of both genders study engineering).

niallyb

Ka-pi96 said:
niallyb said:

Its an empirical legal fact that women don't have the same rights and opportunities as men in the US.  It's not an opinion statement.    They deserve full equality.

You wanna back up that statement maybe?

Here's a start http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-women-equality/5835/.  There is a TON of published legal and social research on this.  Just use the google.

niallyb

niallyb said:
I'm guessing most of the posters here came rushing in without actually talking to any women about the topic. They are quite well situated to explain how life is different for them - being actual women and all.

Making ignorant pronouncements about women having too much power - without actually talking to any women about their experience is wonderful self reinforcing proof of the sexism gamers are famous for. I guess it will take some people a long time to learn the lessons of gamergate.

Advice - if you're going to speak on behalf of a whole class of people, get to know them first. Otherwise you look like that moron Rick Perry when he talks about gay people, despite never having had a serious conversation with one.

All of you have mothers. They would all be very hurt to see how little respect their sons have for women.

Stop with the personal attacks. Everyone else can discuss the topic without resorting to that crap.

Here's some evidence: http://www.payscale.com/career-news/2014/10/best-and-worst-states-for-women's-equality 

Let me know if the link doesn't work.