By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do You Think Women Have Been Given Too Much Power In The Western World?

niallyb said:

Ill give the  OP a pass because he's 15 and so clearly doesnt have the experience to really understand. Its possible he's asking a genuine question and not trolliing.

But dear OP - women are woefully underrepresented at senior political positions and in the executive suites in corporations. They earn 79cents for every dollar a man makes.  They are still not guaranteed equal protection under the constitution.

When old white republican politicians are passing leglislation on womens health   - without actually talking to any women, its pretty clear there is a long way to go before they reach true social equality.  The Equal rights amendment still has not passed  -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Rights_Amendment - primarily because congress is full of rich old white men who are more interested in protecting their privilege and are generally threatened by the notion of true equality.

Spend more time talking to women, gays, other ethnic and religious groups. In fact do it as much as you can. Its the only way you'll understand them.   Then one day you will laugh at the naievite of your post.   On the other hand - if you don't reach out and learn from people who are different from what youve experienced up to now, then you run the risk of growing up into an old bigoted republican who is afraid of everthing.

Now go ask your mom the same question you asked here.  See if she will make it a serious  discussion for you . You'll learn a lot about the extra bullshit your mom had to put up with in her life, just because shes a woman.

@ Bolded: I want to first start off with why you think that I am trolling. The defnition of trolling is "Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can." and therefore by this defenition we can see that by my post I am not trolling anyone. Also please refrain from using this word as it is against site rules.

@ Underlined: Please refrain from mentioning mothers since many users find this as offensive.

You should also be aware that you are still a new account since you have posted under 200 posts and therefore you should be carefull.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
niallyb said:
Ka-pi96 said:
niallyb said:

Its an empirical legal fact that women don't have the same rights and opportunities as men in the US.  It's not an opinion statement.    They deserve full equality.

You wanna back up that statement maybe?

Here's a start http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-women-equality/5835/.  There is a TON of published legal and social research on this.  Just use the google.

'Sorry, the page you are trying to reach is not available.'

I'm not gonna google it. You are the one claiming women have less legal rights than men in the US as a fact, if you're gonna do that at least have some evidence.

When a URL doesn't work, chances are you just need to delete a few odd letters at the end of it. I did that for you, here:

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-women-equality/5835/

And you should google anything you want to have a vocal opinion on, unless you're afraid you might find things that contradict your viewpoint. Just be careful, as there are sites up there that'll come up with an agenda. Of course, some of these sites will likely source legitimate sources that WON'T come up quickly on a google search, so don't discard them entirely.

Ka-pi96 said:
nuckles87 said:

When a URL doesn't work, chances are you just need to delete a few odd letters at the end of it. I did that for you, here:

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-women-equality/5835/

And you should google anything you want to have a vocal opinion on, unless you're afraid you might find things that contradict your viewpoint. Just be careful, as there are sites up there that'll come up with an agenda. Of course, some of these sites will likely source legitimate sources that WON'T come up quickly on a google search, so don't discard them entirely.

Thanks. Welp, that proves niallyb wrong. There is absolutely nothing there that says women legally have less rights than men.

I don't need to google search evidence for something when I know there won't be any.

He didn't just say legal rights. He said opportunities, which that article is definitely about. You shouldn't disqualify something like this based off of semantics.

And if you know there won't be any, than there's no harm in doing it anyway to reassure your worldview. ;)

Ka-pi96 said:
nuckles87 said:

He didn't just say legal rights. He said opportunities, which that article is definitely about. You shouldn't disqualify something like this based off of semantics.

And if you know there won't be any, than there's no harm in doing it anyway to reassure your worldview. ;)

He said 'Its an empirical legal fact that women don't have the same rights and opportunities as men in the US.'

That source proves nothing, yet he called it a 'fact'.

Not as many women being in powerful or well earning positions doesn't prove they didn't have the opportunity to be there and it certainly doesn't prove that there are laws preventing them from being there.

stop question the Truthiness of this facts!

should they be treated like second class citzens,like the middle east? I understand that in other culture's woman simply don't have rights. Woman have lots of rights and power in the west and that's the way it should be. Sure there's some sexism and un-equality in certain aspects,but it's leaps and bounds better,then what woman have in other part's of the world.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
ZombieJesus said:
Baalzamon said:
Considering women only occupy 22% of senior management positions, I'd say no.

"In business leadership in 2009, women held 49% of the jobs in the U.S. and 50% of all managerial positions. A 2006 report from the U.S. Department of Labor noted that women outnumber men in such mid-level occupations as financial managers; human resource managers; educational administrators; medical and health services managers; accountants and auditors; and budget analysts; and property, real estate, and social community service managers."

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/18/women-business-management-forbes-woman-leadership-corporate-boards.html

I'd say a totality measure of management positions far outweighs the cherry-picking you've done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/12/women-in-management-study_n_4948186.html

No offense, but I don't know that all management positions can be considered power. There are tons of managers at our office, many of them women...but the ones with the true power are the partners, and the majority of them are men.

It follows a priori as a matter of analytic certitude that management entails power. 

Not only are you completely incorrect, but you seem oblivious to this fact?

Let's look at comparable countries, instead of Lithuania...

UK & Canada are arguably the most similar nations: 

United Kingdom – 20 percent

Canada – 23 percent

This is nothing but sexual dimorphism. Women often choose to have babies (surprise) which necessitates time off from demanding positions such as those at the upper echelon of business, which can either enamor them or put them far behind peers in the ladder.

Just the way you have to ask the question, it means no, they were not "given" too much power, power would not have to be given to a group of people who have enoug or too much of it....

unless too much for you is them being "allowed" to drove cars, work in "men's" job and vote or give their opinion without permission... I guess they crossed a line there, unruly women!

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but a gaming website probably isn't the best place to have this debate. Granted, VGChartz is one of the more civilized and mature gamer forums, but sexism is a deeply entrenched problem in gaming culture, to the point where women can barely play online with chat on without being harrassed. 

Many still view gaming a man's territory and feel threatened by women "encroaching" on it. This leads to an almost automatic backlash against all things women's-rights related.

Also, there's an instinctive motive to protect one's privilege, as we see in politics with the old, white, heterosexual male elite blocking equal rights for blacks, women, etc.

In Brazil law prevent any two workers with generally the same period on the same function to have different wages. But yet I bet someone would do a study trying to prove the payment is unequal.

On Maths... It's quite common for women here run away from them. My class in aeronauthic engineering had 0 women (and in the 5 years total we had 10 women for 200 students... average on the university campus was 17:1 at the time... the only engineering with a more than 20% women count were enviromental and maybe production because less math was involved.

About politics and management position... curious that someone would go there... if women aren't attracted to politics in general to run for it why would we expect they to have helf the spots?? And on office less women are willing to sacrifice themselves to hike the steps than man, and family have a great weight.

On too much power I disagree... just vocal equality groups (like all the others alike) making noise for more... on the rights side there is some bias, but some have a reason to be... funny enough our male power system generally try to protect and gives more rights to women (even in old times, as properties and totally bogus unequality, most was overprotective).

About having another view, I'm married and my wife agree with most of it.

And I haven't seem many woman demanding the right to work in the docks or unhealthy and bad paid enviroments.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Everything is a mess: men became weak, women became bitter, it is all one big evil decadent mess.
It just can not last.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.