By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and X1 shipped nearly 30 million consoles at the end of 2014 according to AMD

fleischr said:
Turkish said:
It makes sense, AMD isn't using "shipped" as in the sense of sold-in to retailers, corporations never use "shipped" in that sense, it's forum lingo. I think in this case it refers to shipped to customers. If it doesn't however, that's odd. PS4 sold through 18.5 and shipped likely around 20M. That would leave the Xbone with ~10M shipped.

And if the ratio to sold/shipped is for Xbone is similar as it is to PS4, that'd put Xbone with only a little more than 9 million sold to consumers... 

Which is still better than the Xbox 360 did in the first 14 months it was around.

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:
fleischr said:
Turkish said:
It makes sense, AMD isn't using "shipped" as in the sense of sold-in to retailers, corporations never use "shipped" in that sense, it's forum lingo. I think in this case it refers to shipped to customers. If it doesn't however, that's odd. PS4 sold through 18.5 and shipped likely around 20M. That would leave the Xbone with ~10M shipped.

And if the ratio to sold/shipped is for Xbone is similar as it is to PS4, that'd put Xbone with only a little more than 9 million sold to consumers... 

Which is still better than the Xbox 360 did in the first 14 months it was around.

It would also mean that PS4 is outselling XB1 2:1 while the XB1 already cut Kinect, added 2 games to the purchase of a XB1 and had a $50 off promotion in their biggest market during the holidays. And it would mean some huge overtracking on VGChartz (22%).

IFireflyl said:
fleischr said:
Turkish said:

It is better than 360, but it would mean this site is overtracking it by 2 million, and by over 20%

I doubt it is that far off though

So many absolutes being used here:
1. It's an absolute that sony announced it sold 18.5 million. - Probably true or accurate.
2. It's an absolute that AMD announced "nearly" 30 million. - Whatever nearly means
3. It's impossible for there only to be 500k consoles on the shelves. - I guess most people have no idea of stocking levels on Jan 1 at most retailers. Based on the reports, you couldn't find a PS4 in europe for 2 weeks after the holidays.
4. XB1 therefore is overtracked. - So, when we add fuzzy math of #2 and minus 1 we can only achieve #3?

And people here complain about the accuracy of the numbers on VGchartz?

It is near the end of the end....

CGI-Quality said:
Landguy said:
1. It's an absolute that sony announced it sold 18.5 million. - Probably true or accurate.
2. It's an absolute that AMD announced "nearly" 30 million. - Whatever nearly means
3. It's impossible for there only to be 500k consoles on the shelves. - I guess most people have no idea of stocking levels on Jan 1 at most retailers. Based on the reports, you couldn't find a PS4 in europe for 2 weeks after the holidays.
4. XB1 therefore is overtracked. - So, when we add fuzzy math of #2 and minus 1 we can only achieve #3?

Then what's your call? Hard to criticize opinions and barely give one of your own, is it not?

So I will make up the answer that the XB1 is probably a little overtracked and it should be at 10.6 or 10.7 on Jan 1 of 2015.  That is the guess that I came to with the info provided.  I of course assumed that the stores are loaded with systems to come to that conclusion.  

IF, unlike others, I believe that retail stock levels are nowhere near what they used to be.  Almost all retailers keep just a small percentage of stock over what will sell in the next few days or week in their stores nowadays.  So, the need to think that there are so many PS4/XB1 units stacked up on Jan.1 isn't too true.  But, even though the sample size is small, I did see stock of the XB1 in most stores in the week or so around Jan1.  So, I think that the tracking could be spot on(even though that would be a first).  

See how there really is no definitive answer?  I am inclined to lean towards the second answer...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

Could be based on actual shipment data but it's also possible AMD simply took MS's vague "close to 10m" statement, mixed it with Sony's PS4 sell-through number and came up with a nice "nearly 30 million" figure.

Landguy said:
CGI-Quality said:
Landguy said:

Then what's your call? Hard to criticize opinions and barely give one of your own, is it not?

So I will make up the answer that the XB1 is probably a little overtracked and it should be at 10.6 or 10.7 on Jan 1 of 2015.  That is the guess that I came to with the info provided.  I of course assumed that the stores are loaded with systems to come to that conclusion.  

IF, unlike others, I believe that retail stock levels are nowhere near what they used to be.  Almost all retailers keep just a small percentage of stock over what will sell in the next few days or week in their stores nowadays.  So, the need to think that there are so many PS4/XB1 units stacked up on Jan.1 isn't too true.  But, even though the sample size is small, I did see stock of the XB1 in most stores in the week or so around Jan1.  So, I think that the tracking could be spot on(even though that would be a first).  

See how there really is no definitive answer?  I am inclined to lean towards the second answer...

well the xbone is channelstuffed in europe... media markt has a looooooooooot of supply, and a lot of gaming related stuff that looks like m$ but a lot of  Pr goodies in the mix... 

Since Sony announced that 18.5M PS4 were sold to consumers at the beginning of the year, the X1 is very likely overtracked. This also gives us an answer to what MS meant when it said "nearly 10 million X1's sold".

Aura7541 said:

Since Sony announced that 18.5M PS4 were sold to consumers at the beginning of the year, the X1 is very likely overtracked. This also gives us an answer to what MS meant when it said "nearly 10 million X1's sold".

They never said that. They said "nearly 10 million shipped".

Burek said:
Aura7541 said:

They never said that. They said "nearly 10 million shipped".

MS said "sold", but did not clarify if that meant to consumers or shipped. It was later confirmed that the company meant shipped.