Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and X1 shipped nearly 30 million consoles at the end of 2014 according to AMD

Taken from AMD financial report:

"Strong demand continued for AMD-based game consoles, with Microsoft and Sony having shipped nearly 30 million consoles to-date."

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/press-release-2015jan20.aspx

Vgchartz has both at 29.5 million sold through at the same time, something doesn't add up.

Around the Network

Why doesnt it add up? Could be they both shipped 600k+ more than sales. And they said 30 million

Edit: it seems like using the word "nearly" it must be less? cant it be a tad higher?

Why doesn't it add up.

Why would AMD have absolutely accurate numbers?

Its ball park.

I'm not really here!

obviously one of the 2 consoles or both are overtracked. There is no way that there is only 500k ps4 consoles and xbox one consoles on storeshelves.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

If that number is accurate, and Sony's numbers too, we have Xbox One overtracked. There's no other way the numbers make sense.

The fact that AMD say "nearly" 30 million means they must have a pretty good picture too.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

yep, it confirms that the Xbox is over tracked because we know that Sony Sold through (official Sony Announcement) is 18.5 M up until Jan 4th 2015.

X1 could be overtracked.
Maybe Europe outside of the main countries (732k at VGC) or rest of the world. The difference between the global numer and USA + Europe and Japan is 1.81 million.

kowenicki said:
Why doesn't it add up.

Its ball park.

They are the ones responsible for manufacturing the chip so it's reasonable to think that they would have access to those numbers ...

fatslob-:O said:
kowenicki said:
- snip

They are the ones responsible for manufacturing the chip so it's reasonable to think that they would have access to those numbers ...

Yep. All they would have to do is add up the individual unit parts that they alloted for each machine and calculate it that way. With the PS4 being spot on, it could be that the X1 is overtracked, though where is what I wonder.

fatslob-:O said:
kowenicki said:
Why doesn't it add up.

Its ball park.

Is it?

I'd imagine they have supplied a lot more of the chips than have been used thus far.

Manufacturing isn't that kinfe edge for supply surely.  If they have only supplied 30m chips then the shipments will be even lower.

Anyiow, it is all idle speculation.  This certianly doesn't "confirm" anything.  We should get at least some indication in the next few weeks though.

I'm not really here!