By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and X1 shipped nearly 30 million consoles at the end of 2014 according to AMD

Yeah 500k on store shelves would be insanely low for 2 consoles globally. I would say that the Xbox One could very well be overtracked. Not too surprising, the holiday rush probably made tracking more difficult.

Around the Network

AMD does not know exactly how many consoles MS/Sony shipped.

AMD knows how many chipsets they sold to each, but i doubt MS/Sony are giving up to date shipping number to every component manufacturer.

Ouch.... that xbox overtrack.

It makes sense, AMD isn't using "shipped" as in the sense of sold-in to retailers, corporations never use "shipped" in that sense, it's forum lingo. I think in this case it refers to shipped to customers. If it doesn't however, that's odd. PS4 sold through 18.5 and shipped likely around 20M. That would leave the Xbone with ~10M shipped.

Xbox One is overtracked.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Can't start a war when facts are presented. :)

This statement couldn't be more false. ;)

kowenicki said:
Why doesn't it add up.

Why would AMD have absolutely accurate numbers?

Its ball park.

the idea that AMD doesnt know abolute numbers is the one that doesnt add up. they have both CPU's and GPU's in both products, its a big part of their business now and a strong focus for them. the concept that they do not have any idea how much the consoles they provide chips too are selling is the one that doesnt make sense. AMD surely has the numbers, and surely has the forcasts for the numbers both sony and microsoft (nintendo as well) have for the following year. its not a smart move to keep your supplier in the dark about the amount of units you are selling. your claim literally makes no sense. 

Luckily, Microsoft should give us shipment numbers in a few days. Sure, they will combine both consoles, but surely someone will figure out the ratios.

And since PS4 number has corretly been adjusted, there should be no doubt thatcXOne is overtracked, most likely in Europe and RoW, which do seem unusually high considering Microsoft's lack of effort there.

Well 500k on the shelves for either console is too low, combined is not even feasible.

Obviously X1 is the culprit for any overtracking. If these numbers are accurate, and the people on gaf who have talked about channel stuffing in the US are correct, X1 may be substantially overtracked.

Turkish said:
It makes sense, AMD isn't using "shipped" as in the sense of sold-in to retailers, corporations never use "shipped" in that sense, it's forum lingo. I think in this case it refers to shipped to customers. If it doesn't however, that's odd. PS4 sold through 18.5 and shipped likely around 20M. That would leave the Xbone with ~10M shipped.

And if the ratio to sold/shipped is for Xbone is similar as it is to PS4, that'd put Xbone with only a little more than 9 million sold to consumers... 

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016