By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and X1 shipped nearly 30 million consoles at the end of 2014 according to AMD

Troll_Whisperer said:

If that number is accurate, and Sony's numbers too, we have Xbox One overtracked. There's no other way the numbers make sense.

The fact that AMD say "nearly" 30 million means they must have a pretty good picture too.

I think it's possible after the incredible xb1 and ps4 sales in november and december

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

Definitely interesting. Hopefully we'll hear more about XB1 shipments soon. I doubt that there's only 500k PS4s and XB1s combined on shelves and in retail stores' warehouses.

Mr.Playstation said:
The problem here might be that AMD might be releasing shipped numbers from two weeks ago. This is just a possibility though, it could probably mean that either Ps4 and Xbox One or both are overtracked.

It's a statement taken from AMD's quarterly results, so numbers must be by the end of 2014.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

benji232 said:
obviously one of the 2 consoles or both are overtracked. There is no way that there is only 500k ps4 consoles and xbox one consoles on storeshelves.

That is a reasenable figure after the hollydays.

January and February are very slow months. There is no reason to have high stocks up to date.

kowenicki said:
Why doesn't it add up.

Why would AMD have absolutely accurate numbers?

Its ball park.

nobody said they have absolutely accurate numbers but if they say nearly 30M it's safe to assume it's under 30 million. Otherwise they would say around 30M or roughly 30M if they didn't know if it was over or under that number. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ah, an opportunity to beat down the Xbox One. Could be overtracked to the point that the PS4's sell-through is twice that of the X1.

Shamelessly honest! 

That's interesting. We can assume the PS4 is around 19.5m mark which leaves another 10m unaccounted for. It looks like Gaf may be right with their claim the XB1 is around 10m

The PS5 Exists. 

RolStoppable said:
Ah, an opportunity to beat down the Xbox One. Could be overtracked to the point that the PS4's sell-through is twice that of the X1.

an opportunity to beat down vgchartz's tracking.  but no worries,.. they'll adjust them shortly and in time for ms's finacials so everyone can see how great a job our tracking is.

kowenicki said:

Is it?

I'd imagine they have supplied a lot more of the chips than have been used thus far.

Manufacturing isn't that kinfe edge for supply surely.  If they have only supplied 30m chips then the shipments will be even lower.

Anyiow, it is all idle speculation.  This certianly doesn't "confirm" anything.  We should get at least some indication in the next few weeks though.

It pretty much is ...

It goes like this ... 

Since AMD holds the IPs related to both the PS4 and X1, the console manufacturer's have to order the chips from AMD. Then AMD, who is a fabless chip designer sends those orders to a semiconductor foundry such as TSMC to print out those chips and they also settle on a deadline too in the process ... 

It's not a smart idea either to keep a lot of inventory and that goes for especially expensive parts like chips since they undergo heavy depreciation over time. 

Dark_Feanor said:
benji232 said:
obviously one of the 2 consoles or both are overtracked. There is no way that there is only 500k ps4 consoles and xbox one consoles on storeshelves.

That is a reasenable figure after the hollydays.

January and February are very slow months. There is no reason to have high stocks up to date.

Ps4 alone probably has double of that on storeshelves. No it's not a realistic figure. 

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M