By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the PS3 have the most diversity of any console ever?

Ps2, Wii and DS come to my mind, but i am too lazy to do any list

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
fory77 said:
What about the PS2?

PS2 lacks WRPGs, FPS, and Strategy games though. It does have Baldur's Gate, Champions, Medal of Honor, and stuff but not quite enough. What's so weird is the PlayStation had a ton of strategy games like Warzone 2100, Warcraft 2, Command & Conquer, and Battle Stations.

How exactly do you even compare to previous generations, defining genres is kind of arbitrary sometimes and evolves over time. IMO NES and PS1 had more variety, probably PS2 too.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I wouldn't think so. What high selling console doesn't have all the bases covered with at least a couple of entries?

Buzz kinda seems like the only game that has no particular peer, but that hardly qualifies it for the diversity prize, and Buzz originated on PS2.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
I wouldn't think so. What high selling console doesn't have all the bases covered with at least a couple of entries?

Buzz kinda seems like the only game that has no particular peer, but that hardly qualifies it for the diversity prize, and Buzz originated on PS2.

PS2 lacks WRPGs and RTS, and pretty much lacks first person shooters almost. And the Xbox 360 lacks platformers (despite having Banjo Kazooie on the system).

Around the Network

360 had Super Meat Boy... Which was honestly a pretty amazing platformer.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

McDonaldsGuy said:

Like hack and slash games. I forgot about Diablo III and Dragon's Dogma as well.

I wouldn't call them Hack'n'slash at all. Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, God of War 3, and Darksiders 1+2 are hack'n'slash.

i would say yes, especially considering the japanese games that have almost unique generes for them alone.

just look at games like Deception 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFaVKrIKKY0 its hard to even find a game with a similar concept.

also you lacked puppeteer in Platformers.

McDonaldsGuy said:
binary solo said:

PS2 lacks WRPGs and RTS, and pretty much lacks first person shooters almost. And the Xbox 360 lacks platformers (despite having Banjo Kazooie on the system).

360 had XBLA. Which was what covered platformers.

PSX and PS2 had more diversity and so did the Genesis and SNES,but it had the most for last generation and I blame the fact that it did not have more on the way the industry went with generic shooting games dominating and multiplayer.