By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS a failure?

Is the 3DS a failure

Yes! 25 6.44%

No! 302 77.84%

It's complicated.... 40 10.31%

NUMBERS! NUMBERS! 21 5.41%

Total:388

The 3DS is a failure and all of the other consoles of this generation have sold even less.

3DS > The Rest

Gaming = Fail City

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
DanneSandin said:
This is (probably) my last failure thread! I promise! Well, I'll try not to make another one ^^

I was just about to ask what's up with all these fail threads. None of the consoles/handhelds you asked that question with were failures in my opinion. Failure is subjective and so is success. Only the company's opinion really matters if their product was a failure or not. I doubt any would openly admit it

I need to know where that gif in your sig is from. o.o

OT: No it is not a failure.

No. It's not... obviously it is not a failure, you'd be blind to think otherwise. Imo: A failure console has to either a. be so bad (not bad as it "it sucks" but a financial failure) that the console maker drops out (Dreamcast style) or is impractical to use as a system (Virtual Boy)

Riverstyx said:
Well if the standard for handheld's lifetime sales was 150m like the ds then sure. The 3ds is a failure, but it's not. The 3ds is far from a failure, the wonder swan, atari lynx, and gamecom were true failures. Does the 3ds belong with that company? No.

Though, I will say the 3ds is pretty disappointing. I've played pretty much everything I've wanted to play on it and so far there isn't much on the horizon that interest me.

Thing is, when it launched, the DS WAS the cool futuristic touchscreen gadget. Took normal phones three years to steal the idea, and then touchscreens were everywhere. Same with motion controls: they got put in everything. Nintendo married health and electronics in something that tracked your weight over time and helped you get fit. That became a huge area of consumer electronics.

Nintendo got cocky. They assumed whatever seemed like another great unique idea to them would have the same effect. It did not.

The last two things they did,  the 3DS and Wii U, they tried to drag the audience along to the place they wanted to go. They got so giddy when 3D movies were all the rage right before the 3DS launch that they raised the price of the unit. They have not been as lucky.

I think they will be more humble next time, and humble Nintendo is the Nintendo that made DS/Wii so I'm okay with it. And I do enjoy my 3DS and Wii U, when I play them. This generation isn't a failure, it is just a turning point.

UPDATE: What's with all this 'top selling console of the generation' crap like the fact that it launched three and a half years before the Xbox One and PS4, and two and a half before the Wii U isn't influencing that. There's literally no other system that could be close except the PS Morte... I mean Vita.

Mystro-Sama said:
Aeolus451 said:
DanneSandin said:
This is (probably) my last failure thread! I promise! Well, I'll try not to make another one ^^

I was just about to ask what's up with all these fail threads. None of the consoles/handhelds you asked that question with were failures in my opinion. Failure is subjective and so is success. Only the company's opinion really matters if their product was a failure or not. I doubt any would openly admit it

I need to know where that gif in your sig is from. o.o

OT: No it is not a failure.

http://aeo451.tumblr.com/post/107825518332 The source is listed on there but I don't know if that's the actual person who created it. It's a pain to track down stuff on tumblr.

Around the Network

No, with the caveat that it is not a complete success, either. Nintendo's goal with the 3DS seemed to be to muscle out the competition, which they've largely succeeded at (though Sony gave up that fight without really trying all that hard, which is a shame), though it is not nearly the force that it's predecessor was.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

It's not a failure, it just isn't a big success like the DS was.

Cobretti2 said:
Mbolibombo said:
Cobretti2 said:
Yes it is a failure because I think the 50million is a false indicator of user.

Why do you ask?

Because I have like 8 of them and soon will be adding MH4 LE one and MM LE one, which will get me to 10. However all mine are local AUS models.

Now I see people go more hardcore than me and get all limited edition ones from across the world, racking up to about 30 3DS consoles.

I reckon approximately 10million of these sales would be Nintendo fans like me doing the same. I don't have evidence to back it up but seeing how crazy people are going about the latest limited edition ones it is safe to assume fair bit of the core are the same as me. The software sales also support this theory as the ratio is way down compared to last gen even though there are much better games.

You think this is unique to the 3DS ? It's like that over all consoles. 

No it is not unique however 3DS has had SO MANY LE models you can count them on more than 2 hands lol. Also I know a few people that never used to do this but with a great 3DS game lineup they have fallen in love with the system so they have decided to also have a LE console collection. This gen is the first time I have enjoyed the portable console over the home console because of th games and the 3D features.

With Wii or Wii U for example I have never been give a reason to buy a second system let alone a 10th one.

I think you're extrapolating from your personal experience, and vastly overestimating the number of people buying LE consoles.

only in imagination land is it a failure :O

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

JWeinCom said:
Cobretti2 said:
Mbolibombo said:
Cobretti2 said:
Yes it is a failure because I think the 50million is a false indicator of user.

Why do you ask?

Because I have like 8 of them and soon will be adding MH4 LE one and MM LE one, which will get me to 10. However all mine are local AUS models.

Now I see people go more hardcore than me and get all limited edition ones from across the world, racking up to about 30 3DS consoles.

I reckon approximately 10million of these sales would be Nintendo fans like me doing the same. I don't have evidence to back it up but seeing how crazy people are going about the latest limited edition ones it is safe to assume fair bit of the core are the same as me. The software sales also support this theory as the ratio is way down compared to last gen even though there are much better games.

You think this is unique to the 3DS ? It's like that over all consoles. 

No it is not unique however 3DS has had SO MANY LE models you can count them on more than 2 hands lol. Also I know a few people that never used to do this but with a great 3DS game lineup they have fallen in love with the system so they have decided to also have a LE console collection. This gen is the first time I have enjoyed the portable console over the home console because of th games and the 3D features.

With Wii or Wii U for example I have never been give a reason to buy a second system let alone a 10th one.

I think you're extrapolating from your personal experience, and vastly overestimating the number of people buying LE consoles.

perhaps I don't know. It is just na observation I made in Australia. 3DS has become like a little following where people buy these things. Also when the New 3DS come out lots of updated too.

Like Zelda in particular, fair few people got two on pre order because they want to play on one and have one a a collector piece lol. I am not one of them just ant the collector piece. It sold out in like an hour. Because of the high demand it has a second shippment allocated to Australia which is yet to sell out.