By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS a failure?

Is the 3DS a failure

Yes! 25 6.44%

No! 302 77.84%

It's complicated.... 40 10.31%

NUMBERS! NUMBERS! 21 5.41%

Total:388
celador said:
Mr.Playstation said:
celador said:
Well, it is going to be down 50% on it's predecessor in terms of hardware sales, which is a shame but expected in the current climate. I hope Nintendo will have made a nice amount of money on the system when all is said and done.

Software wise, it isn't even close to the breadth of the DS library, which was outstanding. It has plenty of games worth buying the system for, but for me, 2013 is the only great year the system has had or will have. Other years have ranged from poor to decent.

A moderate success for me. The comparisons between the 3DS and DS make me worried for the next handheld

People need to stop with this " current financial climate " debate. Believe it or not the recession only hit a couple of countries who already had some financial troubles before this so called recession, it was overblown by the government to stop people from spending their money on stupid things. Last generation consoles were in the middle of this so called recession yet they have managed to break sales records.

I'm talking about the rise of mobile, not the economy

My mistake. Sorry about that ☺☺☺☺😅☺

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

i wonder if DS would have the asme sucess it have if it was released with all these mobile competition.
So, i think 3DS is really a success.

Well if the standard for handheld's lifetime sales was 150m like the ds then sure. The 3ds is a failure, but it's not. The 3ds is far from a failure, the wonder swan, atari lynx, and gamecom were true failures. Does the 3ds belong with that company? No.

Though, I will say the 3ds is pretty disappointing. I've played pretty much everything I've wanted to play on it and so far there isn't much on the horizon that interest me.

I don't think Nintendo expected 3DS to match DS (though I'm sure they would've liked that just fine, lol), but I do think they were expecting at least 100 million units -- that still would've been a huge drop from the DS, but still a large success.

The GBA would've hit 100+ mill too had it not been prematurely replaced, no question.

Aeolus451 said:
DanneSandin said:
Aeolus451 said:
DanneSandin said:
This is (probably) my last failure thread! I promise! Well, I'll try not to make another one ^^

I was just about to ask what's up with all these fail threads. None of the consoles/handhelds you asked that question with were failures in my opinion. Failure is subjective and so is success. Only the company's opinion really matters if their product was a failure or not. I doubt any would openly admit it

I was just going to do the XB1 thread, but then I got to thinking about the PS3, so had to make that one as well. And I couldn't possibly leave out the 3DS then, right?

I think whether or not a product is a success or a failure is pretty.... hard to decide. SNES lost market shares and sold less than NES, but won the "war" and had awesome games. So in certain ways it's a success, and in others it's a failure.

Hmmm... So you made a thread for each fan base so none could say that you're targeting any of them? Makes sense.

Well, like I said, I meant to only do the ONE thread, but after having done the PS3 I made sure no one could call me out for not dragging Nintendo's good name in the dirt ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
i wonder if DS would have the asme sucess it have if it was released with all these mobile competition.
So, i think 3DS is really a success.

Good point I agree, I still think 3DS is doing awesome especially against the vita.

SjOne said:
Its below GBA sales which is more comparable

Indeed it is! GBA managed 80m sold units in quite afew years. It had sold OVER 80m by 2010, but the DS came out in 2004, which means the GBA more or less only had 3-4 years to sell close to 80m... 3DS isn't even close to 80m after 4 years

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

No, definitely not. DS didn't have to deal with mobile games when it came out, which is why it caught on so well with the casuals. 3DS is doing just fine for itself even though mobile has pretty much swallowed up the casual market.

NNID: TheCCluc

Just like with the other 2 threads, my answer is "No"

3DS is a success without a doubt

No at all. Its slightly undereached its potential with a really weak opening year software wise and a limited diversity in 3rd party titles but its numbers have never been bad.