By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS a failure?

Is the 3DS a failure

Yes! 25 6.44%

No! 302 77.84%

It's complicated.... 40 10.31%

NUMBERS! NUMBERS! 21 5.41%

Total:388
RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:
SjOne said:
Its below GBA sales which is more comparable

Indeed it is! GBA managed 80m sold units in quite afew years. It had sold OVER 80m by 2010, but the DS came out in 2004, which means the GBA more or less only had 3-4 years to sell close to 80m... 3DS isn't even close to 80m after 4 years

The GBA was at about 60m when the DS launched.

WHAT?! Really?? Man, it pulled 20m+ AFTER the DS was released?? I'm quite impressed. But 60m units in 3 years is quite good, and much better than 3DS.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Screamapillar said:
A lot of people forget that DS had a rough start, too. It launched with a port of Mario 64 with a thumb attachment that went over the end of your thumb, meant to rub the bottom screen as a virtual joystick.

It was really not until 2006 when New Super Mario Bros. launched alongside the DS Lite, that the system began to experience a sales trajectory that no other handheld had ever experienced before. Of course, Nintendogs and Brain Age, among others, also made an enormous difference, and contributed to the DS selling to people who normally did not ever play video games.

To compare DS to 3DS is to neglect to take into account the extreme market forces that have changed the entire industry. The bottom of the handheld market is gone, completely gone. Lost forever to free-to-play games on mobile. The middle of the market is vanishing as we speak, and at this point only extremely attractive AAA software is selling on handhelds. When I say handhelds, I'm basically talking only about 3DS. As PS Vita is dead everywhere except in Japan, where handhelds are far more dominant than consoles. But that is another topic in and of itself.

This sort of goes back to one of the points made in the OP, that 3DS hardware is down significantly from DS, yes. That is to be expected. The real concern however, is that software sales are so low. 3DS has a fairly low attach rate, particularly when you consider that it's primarily marketed and aimed at core gamers.

I could keep going on and on, but I'll leave it there for the moment. Hopefully I've contributed something meaningful to the discussion.

Yes, I think you contributed quite  lot =) Perhaps the most damning of the 3DS is its low SW sales, and I don't think that digital sales is 25% of all sales. Had that been the case, things would have looked better.

In a world were almost everyone have a iphone/ipad or android device it's not a failure, it's not the biggest success either but most certainly not a failure.

For the Vita it sure is.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Yes it is a failure because I think the 50million is a false indicator of user.

Why do you ask?

Because I have like 8 of them and soon will be adding MH4 LE one and MM LE one, which will get me to 10. However all mine are local AUS models.

Now I see people go more hardcore than me and get all limited edition ones from across the world, racking up to about 30 3DS consoles.

I reckon approximately 10million of these sales would be Nintendo fans like me doing the same. I don't have evidence to back it up but seeing how crazy people are going about the latest limited edition ones it is safe to assume fair bit of the core are the same as me. The software sales also support this theory as the ratio is way down compared to last gen even though there are much better games.

Cobretti2 said:

Why do you ask?

Because I have like 8 of them and soon will be adding MH4 LE one and MM LE one, which will get me to 10. However all mine are local AUS models.

Now I see people go more hardcore than me and get all limited edition ones from across the world, racking up to about 30 3DS consoles.

I reckon approximately 10million of these sales would be Nintendo fans like me doing the same. I don't have evidence to back it up but seeing how crazy people are going about the latest limited edition ones it is safe to assume fair bit of the core are the same as me. The software sales also support this theory as the ratio is way down compared to last gen even though there are much better games.

Yes, that is quite an interesting observation! But wouldn't the same people be those that buys 30 games for it as well? If they own 10 systems and buys 30 games, that's a tie ratio of 3 at least... But I could be wrong

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Why do you ask?

You think this is unique to the 3DS ? It's like that over all consoles. 

success success success

Switch!!!

is being the best seller console of this generation a failure???.......

Mbolibombo said:
Cobretti2 said:

Why do you ask?

You think this is unique to the 3DS ? It's like that over all consoles. 

No it is not unique however 3DS has had SO MANY LE models you can count them on more than 2 hands lol. Also I know a few people that never used to do this but with a great 3DS game lineup they have fallen in love with the system so they have decided to also have a LE console collection. This gen is the first time I have enjoyed the portable console over the home console because of th games and the 3D features.

With Wii or Wii U for example I have never been give a reason to buy a second system let alone a 10th one.

Well, Nintendo continues to Support it and Keep mentioning it ( not like its competitor's company =D You know who ) - So i think on Nintendo's eyes, its a Success.

Pocky Lover Boy!