By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft has done a lot of innovations

Tachikoma said:
I think we need to start labeling this sort of thing as "Spinnovation".

tbh, most people that go around dropping the word innovation are really practicing this. case in point...

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Aeolus451 said:
I like that MS brings competition to table in the video game market. With it, comes better deals, prices, better games overall but I wouldn't buy any xbox product. They are a great competitor and bring out the best in sony & nintendo. I want MS to do well enough to stay in the video game market but never dominate it where they could dictate anything. MS has the most anti-consumer policies and they keep trying to force them on us when they aren't even the leading brand in video games.

True but that's for all companies.

When Nintendo was the leader:

- They didn't want to make another console (the only reason they made the SNES was cause of the Genesis/Mega Drive, otherwise they would have probably just sold the NES til the mid-90s)

- They treated third parties like crap. They were even abusive to them. That's why so many flocked to Sony and considered them a godsend

- They were also arrogant, and instead of CD storage for the N64 they used cartridges

When Sony was the leader:

- $599

That's all that really needs to be said (though I could go on and on about them during the early PS3 years). Microsoft did have anti-consumer policies but they changed those. Sony kept to their $599 price tag and their arrogance though until 2009 when they finally rebranded the PS3.

I can't speak for nintendo on that stuff. I would have to look up a lot of stuff to find out. I know that they are incredibly stubborn overall and make weird controllers that only nintendo fans could love.

I wouldn't go so far as to say sony was arrogant but they overestimated how much gamers would spend on a console that was backwards compatible. I believe that $500 to 600 is too much to ask for a console in any gen. At that price point, you might as well just get a gaming pc. MS made that mistake with the xbone/kinect.

Tachikoma said:

They were all very well received and popular games, to this very day people play an updated version of quake 3 (now named quake live) in online tournaments.

Your statement was "who did first on console"

It wasnt Microsoft, sorry if thats too hard to accept.

I feel that the OP is confusing innovation with popularization. A lot of things Microsoft has done was popularizing the innovations done by other companies.

Tachikoma said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

Quake 3 on the Dreamcast did not sell 8 million or close to it, or revolutionize online gaming. By the way I used to own Quake 3 on the Dreamcast and liked it.

Kindly stop moving the goalposts, here is your statement.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Which console had a killer first person shooter with online play?

I dont see a sales requirement here, just a false claim that you seem hell bent on defending to the death rather than simply doing the mature thing of saying "actually yeah, im wrong, my bad"

SkyHold said:

I did not know this about the Atari as I never had one,but he is wrong again I see.

To be accurate, for the Atari, it was more Activision themselves that offered them with their range of games, this is a near complete range of them offered for people reaching certain achievements in their games.

Im my opinion, far cooler than a meaningless numerical gamerscore.

There were no achievements or a gamerscore on the Atari 2600. As I said, you are reaching. Saying the computer printer isn't innovative cause of the Gutenberg printing press. And it was an innovation because a) achievements are fun, give games some more value (to some people), and enough of an innovation for Sony to copy them with trophies. And some games have had achievements before, or not built in the system (Mega Man 9 had achievements for the PC), but I am saying as an integral part of the console. Not something extra.

And I said a killer first person shooter. Meaning killer app. Quake 3 was not a killer app.

kupomogli said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

- Xbox Live. Seriously, the gold standard for online gaming. So many innovations - friends list, party chat, Xbox Live Arcade/Store, great matchamking, etc. etc. Compare it to the PS2's online! Now online gaming is probably the biggest part of gaming now, and Microsoft is the one that really pushed for it by including ONLY broadband for the Xbox instead of dialup (Sega's huge mistake)

The gold standard is when you didn't have to pay to play online and it still works well.  Xbox Live introduced nothing that I couldn't already do on my PC.  Microsoft did nothing but show that people will pay for something they could have got for free all along, and because of that now Sony is doing the same. 

Sure it's an innovation I guess.  Innovated screwing over not one but two fanbases, maybe three if Nintendo jumps on the pay to play online next gen.

Yeah PC gaming is free but console manufacturers need to make money. If PC online multiplayer was free who would we be paying?

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Tachikoma said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Tachikoma said:

I'm being factual, you are the one trying to claim things like the above that totally got owned.

Incidentally, the achievements on the atari and nes were BETTER than the achievements on the xbox, physical goods such as stickers and sewn patches marking your achievements are much cooler than a virtual score.

Oh and on that last one, Dreamcast also had quake and unreal tournament.

No they are totally different and not comparable. I said a killer first person shooter. Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were good but Halo 2 broke new ground.

They were all very well received and popular games, to this very day people play an updated version of quake 3 (now named quake live) in online tournaments.

Quake 3 on the Dreamcast did not sell 8 million or close to it, or revolutionize online gaming. By the way I used to own Quake 3 on the Dreamcast and liked it.

So sales are what makes something revolutionary? As for online gaming Halo did not revolutionize anything and Bungy get's the credit for making that game,not MS.MMOS had already made online gaming popular years before Halo and Socom was a game that made an impact online as well as Unreal Tournament.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Quake 3 was not a killer app.

I'm sorry, I cant hear you over the screaming fans that play the game to this very day.

Aura7541 said:
Tachikoma said:

I feel that the OP is confusing innovation with popularization. A lot of things Microsoft has done was popularizing the innovations done by other companies.

Bingo.The Wii was more popular than any Xbox console,but he won't say it was great because of that.

Tachikoma said:

To be accurate, for the Atari, it was more Activision themselves that offered them with their range of games, this is a near complete range of them offered for people reaching certain achievements in their games.

Im my opinion, far cooler than a meaningless numerical gamerscore, though scores were also done, gaming magazines such as nintendo power would post highscores from games along with the name of the submitter in their monthly highscore columns, which would equate to the earliest version of a gamerscore.

Those are pretty slick rewards and much better than achievements/trophies since those hold no value to me. It makes me wish that I was born a bit earlier >_<

I agree with some of what you said while other things I don't. But I would just like to say that Microsoft has indeed contributed just as much as the other two when it comes to innovation and helping the console gaming to develop even further. Can't deny that. :)