By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft has done a lot of innovations

Tachikoma said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

Which console had a hard drive standard before Xbox?

HDD is just another form of internal storage, many consoles that released in the 80s and early 90s had internal memory, but if you want me to be super flippant, then the Sharp X68000. Internal memory only switched to HDD when the costs involved with doing so had dropped enough, the price was the only factor preventing earlier consoles for using them - utilizing alternative technologies to perform the same task is progression not innovation.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Which console had triple A WRPGs before the Xbox?

Snes, GBA, PS1, Ps2, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Which console had achievements?

Atari 2600, Atari 7200, Nes, Snes.

McDonaldsGuy said:

Which console had a killer first person shooter with online play?

Quake 3 arena on the dreamcast.

Lol come on man you can't compare the NES stuff to what the Xbox brand did in the 2000s you're really reaching.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Halo - I think COD Modern Warfare did a lot more for FPS than Halo did. Yeah, but Halo paved the way for CoD. Before Halo, FPS as a genre just didn't exist on consoles, Rare had attempted it with 007 and Perfect Dark and that was pretty much it.

WRPGs - The only thing I can think of here is getting Mass Effect as an exclusive. I think 3rd party companies did much more for WRPGs than Microsoft by far. Them becoming bigger than JRPGs too is because of 3rd parties (many Japanese companies forgetting how to make good games) I think he's referring to the fact that WRPG's were mainly a PC only genre before developers started putting them on Xbox. For instance Elder Scrolls, Xbox was the first console to get an Elder Scrolls game. The original Xbox also got KOTOR and Fable, which PS2 didn't get. Xbox 360 was also the first console to get a Witcher game and a Mass Effect game.

Other stuff - Kinect not really an innovation, PS Eyetoy? I don't think PS Eye Toy can even be compared to Kinect. Kinect was definitely an innovation in many ways, it didn't really do much good for gaming itself, but it's voice commands are definitely innovative for turning on your system and navigating to aps like Netflix. 

Bolded

I remember playing Medal of Honour on PS1 and Timesplitters on PS2 before Halo released. There were definitely some very good FPS games before Halo.

Yeah, that's true about the WRPGs and I completely forgot about Fable

Right,we spent hours playing those games and Turok and Golden Eye on N64.Half Life and Doom were huge to on PC.Also WRPGs were already coming to PS2 with Baldor's Gate and games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout came to PS3 at the same time anyway.That was the generation and not MS.Sega was the first to bring online to console as far as multiplayer.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Tachikoma said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

HDD is just another form of internal storage, many consoles that released in the 80s and early 90s had internal memory, but if you want me to be super flippant, then the Sharp X68000. Internal memory only switched to HDD when the costs involved with doing so had dropped enough, the price was the only factor preventing earlier consoles for using them - utilizing alternative technologies to perform the same task is progression not innovation.

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

Lol come on man you can't compare the NES stuff to what the Xbox brand did in the 2000s you're really reaching.

so proving you're wrong on just about every claim is somehow not allowed?

Aeolus451 said:
I like that MS brings competition to table in the video game market. With it, comes better deals, prices, better games overall but I wouldn't buy any xbox product. They are a great competitor and bring out the best in sony & nintendo. I want MS to do well enough to stay in the video game market but never dominate it where they could dictate anything. MS has the most anti-consumer policies and they keep trying to force them on us when they aren't even the leading brand in video games.

True but that's for all companies.

When Nintendo was the leader:

- They didn't want to make another console (the only reason they made the SNES was cause of the Genesis/Mega Drive, otherwise they would have probably just sold the NES til the mid-90s)

- They treated third parties like crap. They were even abusive to them. That's why so many flocked to Sony and considered them a godsend

- They were also arrogant, and instead of CD storage for the N64 they used cartridges

When Sony was the leader:

- $599

That's all that really needs to be said (though I could go on and on about them during the early PS3 years). Microsoft did have anti-consumer policies but they changed those. Sony kept to their $599 price tag and their arrogance though until 2009 when they finally rebranded the PS3.

jetforcejiminy said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Tachikoma said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

so proving you're wrong on just about every claim is somehow not allowed?

NES didn't have a gamerscore, neither did the Atari 2600. I know cause I owned both. And bringing up obscure 80s computers about the hard drives? Talk about reaching.

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
Tachikoma said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

McDonaldsGuy said:

I'm being factual, you are the one trying to claim things like the above that totally got owned.

Incidentally, the achievements on the atari and nes were BETTER than the achievements on the xbox, physical goods such as stickers and sewn patches marking your achievements are much cooler than a virtual score.

Oh and on that last one, Dreamcast also had quake and unreal tournament.

McDonaldsGuy said:

NES didn't have a gamerscore, neither did the Atari 2600. I know cause I owned both. And bringing up obscure 80s computers about the hard drives? Talk about reaching.

Obscure they may be, but they were still the first, sorry but the reality of history doesnt pander to your personal desires.

Tachikoma said:

I'm being factual, you are the one trying to claim things like the above that totally got owned.

Incidentally, the achievements on the atari and nes were BETTER than the achievements on the xbox, physical goods such as stickers and sewn patches marking your achievements are much cooler than a virtual score.

Oh and on that last one, Dreamcast also had quake and unreal tournament.

No they are totally different and not comparable. I said a killer first person shooter. Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were good but Halo 2 broke new ground.

Tachikoma said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

Obscure they may be, but they were still the first, sorry but the reality of history doesnt pander to your personal desires.

No you're just reaching. If they were innovative why didn't other companies copy them? What is your Atari 2600 gamerscore? It's like saying computer printers aren't innovative cause the printing press was invented hundreds of years ago.

McDonaldsGuy said:

No they are totally different and not comparable. I said a killer first person shooter. Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were good but Halo 2 broke new ground.

unreal tournament and quake did online multiplayer fps almost a decade before halo 2... combat evolved was all local multiplayer... what are you even claiming at this point?