By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Dark Souls 2 sell more on Xbox One?

Just a quick question regarding the upcoming Scholar of the first Sin version that will release on the original platforms for Dark Souls 2 (360, PS3 and PC) as well as current-gen consoles: Ps4 and Xbox One.

Does Dark Souls 2 has a chance of selling better on Xbox One?

Now, generally (and by generally, I mean 95% of the time), these kind of games tend to sell better on Sony's console. If we use Dark Souls 1 and 2 data for comparison, we find that the difference between Sony and Microsoft's consoles are one million units, and as for the second one, around 750.000 units. So why this would be any different?

There's a factor that crams into this equation:

Bloodborne is releasing the 24th of March.

When is Scholar of the First Sin releasing?

7th of April.

Could this close release dates cause that the Xbox One version of Dark Souls 2 sells better? In regards to that, legs are as important as first month sales data; but since most of the Souls fanbase is waiting eagerly for Bloodborne, and most of them had already played Dark Souls 2 (and perhaps don't want to come back again), the fatigue caused from Bloodborne might make them pospone the purchase of DS2 or avoid it alltogether. Xbox One could enjoy the better sales due to not having a Souls game at all, outside Dark Souls 2, which could drive people to buy it (again), or discover it for the first time.

What do you think?

Around the Network

I don't think so. Even if it pulls it off the first week, the PS4 will have the more rabid Souls fanbase. That and Japan will make the difference long term.

This is a joke right? Xbox One version has no chance, the Souls gamer are all on Playstation plattforms.

Dr.Vita said:
This is a joke right? Xbox One version has no chance, the Souls gamer are all on Playstation plattforms.

Souls gamers can be on all platforms. There's probably people who only owns a WiiU and they're Souls gamers as well, just waiting to make the jump or don't have the money yet to do so.

The majority, indeed, are on Playstation platforms. But since the majority =/= all, that's why I'm asking this question.

Well I expect it to sell low numbers on new gen consoles. So the gap won't be large. But still I would think any Souls fan worth the name will be picking up PS4 for Bloodborne and many will get the new and improved DSII into the bargain, because they are Souls fans.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Playstation has both a bigger Souls fanbase and a bigger installbase. Also, both games will have decent legs, even if DS2 sells less during the first week, installbase alone could compensate in the long run.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

no way. lower install base, lack of xbox presence in japan, and bloodborne releasing on PS4 all will be factors in why the game will sell much better on PS4

bananaking21 said:
no way. lower install base, lack of xbox presence in japan, and bloodborne releasing on PS4 all will be factors in why the game will sell much better on PS4

The lack of Bloodborne on Xbox One is precisely what makes me think more people will pick DS2 on that platform.

I suspect that the majority of souls fans are on the ps3 & 4, so it should sell better on sony's platforms but I'll say that the majority of those players will be playing bloodborne instead of dark souls 2 while xbox fans will be playing dark souls 2. I could see it happening because of the release of bloodborne.

Wright said:
bananaking21 said:

The lack of Bloodborne on Xbox One is precisely what makes me think more people will pick DS2 on that platform.

the people who are interested in bloodborne type games will be on the PS4. its a relativily small market after all.