By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Dark Souls 2 sell more on Xbox One?

Probably not. While i expect you're right that Bloodborne will chip away sales from the PS4 version of DS2, the series is considerably more relevant on PS consoles than Xbox (2:1 for both entries). Add in the much larger install base discrepancy than between their 7th gen predecessors, and the gap between the two version will likely be larger than any potentially lost sales.

You never know though. If Bloodborne is a big success (both critically and in sales), many X1 owners might become interest in buying DS2. I can't personally see that bridging the gap, but it wouldn't be the strangest thing to ever happen.

Around the Network

I get where you're coming from (the release date for DS II remaster was chosen extremely stupid, should be a month later), but it still seems highly unlikely.

You actually have a very good point, don't see why people don't see it too. The two games are around 2 weeks apart. Bloodborne is a completely new game and would probably still be in play by the time DS2 is released. I can't imagine why anyone that just bought bloodborne will go buy ds2 just two weeks later.

The only possible chink in this theory though, is that Bloodborne is only a souls type game at heart, generally though it plays very differently with its core gameplay focus being different. Don't know if that will be enough to justify what would be a second buy for most souls fans on the PS4.

Take me for instance, I didn't even buy or play dark souls 2 cause I was hoping we would get a PS4 port (did this for a fair number of games released in 2013 and its mostly paid off so far) but with its close release proximity to Bloodborne, I am now not even considering buying dark souls 2 at all.

I completely get where you are coming from and your reasoning is sound, but I just don't think it will happen. The XBO might have a better FW, but I suspect the PS4 version will have better legs.

The question I think the OP is asking is are people going to buy both Bloodborne and DS2 remastered on PS4?

Not a huge follower of the series so I don't know, but by logic X1 should have this in favour. People don't have infinite income, why would you buy both DS2 and Bloodborne when they're releasing mere weeks apart, surely 90% of PS4 owners are picking up bloodborne which is more or less a successor versus a game they've already played.

Around the Network

No reason to expect this.

teigaga said:

People don't have infinite income, why would you buy both DS2 and Bloodborne when they're releasing mere weeks apart

Because those games aren't only going to be on the market for one day, so unless Wright is talking only about first week sales but didn't specify it, the proximity of the Bloodborne and DSII release dates is not that much of an advantage for the Xbox One.

For what it's worth, the PS4 version is currently #1,153 on Amazon. The Xbox One version is #2,747. Bloodborne standard edition is #491; LE is #157.

Will sell considerably better on the PS4

Sony consoles have had better dark souls sales in the past with a much higher attack rate

The difference in install base between the Xbox One and PS4 is far greater than last gen were it was about equal

The Souls series are big in Japan where the Xbox One barely exist

Bloodborne may draw sales from Dark Souls 2 for people who can only afford one game in that time frame

Bloodborne will have already caused many fans of the souls series to purchase a PS4 who will then likely purchase Dark Souls 2 at some point.

My guess is that the first week for PS4 is three times higher than the Xbox One version at least.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

every single game sells better on ps4, and you think dark souls will be the first one that doesn't?

thedawghousev2 said:
every single game sells better on ps4, and you think dark souls will be the first one that doesn't?

Not true. Forza Motorsport 5 sold better on Xbox One. (?????)