By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 18 year old girl dates her dad for 2 years and is going to marry him. Please Lock..

curl-6 said:
padib said:

Are you capable of arguing in this thread without using condescending terms? You should honestly be banned for using that word so much. He's free to have his opinion, and is free to not be insulted as well.

A person disagreeing with homosexuality on a rational level is not necessarily intolerant towards homosexuals. You are being intolerant to his opinions though. So it begs the question who really is what you're saying.

Your attitude makes me less friendly to your ideals, despite my efforts.

Technically I did not call him anything, I said the argument itself was bigoted. It's propaganda spread with the intent of perpetuating discrimination and oppression. Am I intolerant towards discrimination and oppression? Yes I am. I've seen too many people suffer in my time to tun a blind eye to it.

It's no different to how I'd react if someone started degrading people due to their race or gender. By standing by and letting it happen, I would be condoning it.

Spot on Curl, personally I wouldn't have even replied to this

"A person disagreeing with homosexuality on a rational level is not necessarily intolerant towards homosexuals."

How ridiculous does that statement sound. There is no rational level. And that's why PADIB people who are irrational about homosexuality here get banned.

Around the Network

Are you guys really supporting this? On another note it's suprising that incest is legal in NJ and not Alabama or something.

WTF is a signature?

PSN: Haz3theFaz3

This is repulsive. I don't see how anyone could even defend this. That guy is definitely a sick mofo. interbreeding is proven to cause many complications and birth defects. It's illegal for a reason.

Without passing any kind of judgement, it does surprise me that it is legal.

My only problem is that this is a clear situation where you can see the elder taking advantage of the younger individual (abandonmendt stuff and shit), I feel like there is a huge difference b/w iinteracial and same sex marriage and this topic (though i can see the similarities with society not excepting it and etc., etc.)

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:
padib said:

Are you capable of arguing in this thread without using condescending terms? You should honestly be banned for using that word so much. He's free to have his opinion, and is free to not be insulted as well.

A person disagreeing with homosexuality on a rational level is not necessarily intolerant towards homosexuals. You are being intolerant to his opinions though. So it begs the question who really is what you're saying.

Your attitude makes me less friendly to your ideals, despite my efforts.

Technically I did not call him anything, I said the argument itself was bigoted. It's propaganda spread with the intent of perpetuating discrimination and oppression. Am I intolerant towards discrimination and oppression? Yes I am. I've seen too many people suffer in my time to tun a blind eye to it.

It's no different to how I'd react if someone started degrading people due to their race or gender. By standing by and letting it happen, I would be condoning it.

You're playing with words. If I call your opinions stupid, I should just as much get banned as if I called you stupid. Which you are not.

I understand your position. My point of view is more complex imho. Someone may have racist sentiments, but not be racist. This person may not behave racist or behave with discrimination towards people of a race he may not like.

Do you understand that difference?

I am glad that you took the time to reply, it reassures me a lot. Some people cannot stand points of view which differ from their own, I'm glad you're not like that.

I guess where we differ is that the way I see it, words are deeds. Words have impact, they can inflict damage.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

I guess where we differ is that the way I see it, words are deeds. Words have impact, they can inflict damage.

Look, I have my personal sexual kinks. I won't share them with you because I know you're probably not interested.

If someone is disgusted by my kinks, why should I be insulted?

I'm also half middle eastern and I get a lot of stupid comments about my racial background. I get comments about being a terrorist and dumb things like that.

Does it bother me, do the words bother me? They do. But if someone was honest to me and told me they just had a difficult time liking arabs or their culture, why should I be upset? The person is being honest.

To me, honesty doesn't excuse bullying.

sundin13 said:
I'll ask again:

Why should we restrict incestuous pairing from having children while allowing people with disabilities to have children, when both increase the likelihood of producing children with disabilities?

It's an issue of morality and not subject to logic. That's how people are.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

To me, honesty doesn't excuse bullying.

Bullying is not in the truthfulness alone. It's in the way the idea is delivered. That's why I gave the example I gave you.

Some people bug me about my racial background. They are being honest but it bugs me because of how it's delivered. Another person may approach me differently and just tell me honestly how they feel about something, and they feel like they need to share it with me.

Why should I judge that person? On the contrary they are opening up and being honest about how they feel about me. I would respect that and try to help them understand where I'm coming from as best I can.

I definitely wouldn't call that person a bigot.

We all feel different things and noone is 100% politically correct deep down inside. If anyone says that they are pretending.

A funny line from avenue Q "Everyone's a little bit racist". It's funny but it's kind of true. We all have differences and sometimes feel less cosy about someone or something than political correctness allows. Being rude about it is wrong, but feeling it is something personal and repressing it is just as counter-productive imho.

The delivery was bullying. It was conscious, targeted propaganda delivered to promote discrimination.

I would typically agree with you, but my only problem is that is clearly a situation where the dad could have programmed the daughter to be psychologically attached to him