By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tell us about gaming in your country

Here in Latvia, like in all former Soviet Block, PC is the most popular platform and 95% piracy. As for consoles, it's Sony > MS > Nintendo.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

When I talked about Nintedo I chose to ignore the Wii, as this is a thread about trends, Wii was quite clearly not the trend, and just a flash in the pan. I can't explain how you don't know a lot of people with xboxes, It's definetly doing well (the 360 did, the XBO is doing relatively well).

At your second paragraph, that's really interesting to hear, I really had no clue about that.

I'll just throw this out there, probably a way better representation than any of us could give using anecdotes.

http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/media/135759/nordic_game_sales_2013.pdf

That says sweden likes xbox in comparison to the other nordic countries. Norway likes PS just as much as the others :P.

Why is sweden crashing? Norway had a huge boost one year and stablized.

Sly 4 top platformer nordic countries... nice.

Very interesting sales, will there be another one of these soon?

Farsala said:
Teeqoz said:

When I talked about Nintedo I chose to ignore the Wii, as this is a thread about trends, Wii was quite clearly not the trend, and just a flash in the pan. I can't explain how you don't know a lot of people with xboxes, It's definetly doing well (the 360 did, the XBO is doing relatively well).

At your second paragraph, that's really interesting to hear, I really had no clue about that.

I'll just throw this out there, probably a way better representation than any of us could give using anecdotes.

That says sweden likes xbox in comparison to the other nordic countries. Norway likes PS just as much as the others :P.

Yeah, as I said, this is way better than whatever anecdotes any of us could give. I was wrong in guessing that Norway likes xbox more than most of europe, Sweden however loves xbox (the 360 at least).

It's really fun to see that in finland, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time sold better than The Last of Us. Who would've thought? Nice to see it charting at 19 in Norway multiformat as well, quite surprising actually.

Where do you see tha Sweden is crashing?

I assume so, I'll make a thread for it when it does.

germany here, i have no freaking idea, i guess the wii was realy popular, because at our uni drink and play events everyone plays mk like they played it many times before. fifa is big, but a bit smaller than in other european countrys(because real football is much cheaper in germany.

Brazil...

Do I even have to say anything?
High taxes for games and consoles, most people play the console where piracy lands first, currently the 360, and we don't even have Nintendo over here anymore, we have to import their games or buy them from the gray market.

TS;DR: It sucks.

Around the Network
ohmylanta1003 said:
Everyone in the US views Nintendo as a big fatass joke and it's annoying as hell. If you tell someone that you mainly play Nintendo games, they act like you're a kid/you're incredibly immature and haven't grown up. But then everyone enjoys the fucking games when I force them to play it, so it pisses me off. Also, no one here knows shit about anything but GTA, Halo, FIFA, or COD. 

Oh look, Brazilian gamers in a nutshell xP

Busted said:
Venezuela, non-developed, 60 years in the past, piracy kingdom like almost all of south america, so everything that can be pirated sells, a lot, or well it DID - We (average citizen) are not in the position to dispose money at all right now, but in general serious gaming exists, mostly on PC due to the high price of (private companies) imports here, 1 ps4 game = 2 months of (minimum) wage, so Steam is king here in no man's land, there ARE PS/Xbox gamers but they are a minimal portion when compared to steam users from my personal experience, Handhelds do quite well and DS/PSP were seen quite often on the streets in their prime, now's a different time tho... those days are gone; A small nintendo community that still refuses to die (mostly 30 something year old who grew up with it) and mobile gaming is what you could call hmmm... just not that big.

A bit off topic, but can I ask what - in your opinion as a Venezuelan - led to things becoming so bad?

Australia:

All three console manufacturers are viable here (or were...the Wii U is around, but struggling).

Xbox 360 and PS3 were pretty even, but you do get the sense PS4 has outdone the Xbox One at this point - though that began to shift a bit with some good Xbox One holiday sales.

Historically, Xbox is still way up on its origins, Playstation is way down on its origins.

Handhelds - smartphones are taking over, but for dedicated gaming Nintendo reins supreme.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Teeqoz said:
Farsala said:
Teeqoz said:

Yeah, as I said, this is way better than whatever anecdotes any of us could give. I was wrong in guessing that Norway likes xbox more than most of europe, Sweden however loves xbox (the 360 at least).

It's really fun to see that in finland, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time sold better than The Last of Us. Who would've thought? Nice to see it charting at 19 in Norway multiformat as well, quite surprising actually.

In comparison since 2009 Sweden dropped -13%, -10%, -19% and -9% each year since.
While Norway did +73%, -8%, +4%, -13%.

I can understand drops at the end of the gen but sweden has been dropping a long time before that. Used to be double the other nordic countries, now its simply 1.5.

Farsala said:
Teeqoz said:

In comparison since 2009 Sweden dropped -13%, -10%, -19% and -9% each year since.
While Norway did +73%, -8%, +4%, -13%.

I can understand drops at the end of the gen but sweden has been dropping a long time before that. Used to be double the other nordic countries, now its simply 1.5.

I assume it's the economy. Sweden got hit much harder than Norway after the financial crisis in 2008, and Norway has had higher economical growth than Sweden in the later years (always maybe?).

Germany is in Sony's Lockdown since the PS1. Seriously. The Wii put up a decent fight, but it didn't matter in the end. The 360 was really popular at launch in 2005, but as soon as the PS3 came, it had all the hype despite no gaemz and 599 € (which quickly changed to 399 € anyway.)
But in germany you have also an insanely large PC crowd. The best-selling games around here? Landwirtschafstsimulator, Minecraft and Die Sims. Every other title, games you would consider hardcore, come loooong after that. But Call of Duty, GTA and FIFA are of course also pretty big.

As for the Next-Gen (or Current-Gen, name them the way you want, I don't care) it's again a complete Lockdown for Sony when it comes to home consoles. Wii U sold like shit when it came out, the stores couldn't even sell launch stock and quickly lowered the prices to 199 € and below. The same is true for Xbox One. It's dead in the water.

PS4 was sold out again the other week and just continues to sell like crazy.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.