By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tell us about gaming in your country

Yeah I think I commented about this before, perhaps in your old thread.

China

Pirated games for PC, PSP, PS3, and Wii. Korean/Chinese F2P games are the most popular for PC alongside with pirated western games. We have services like Steam that you can simply browse, download and play your (pirated)-games directly on, just like on Steam. It's so easy to play pirated games that the majority no doubt does it. And when it comes to console games only the X1 officially has a Chinese version and is sold in all the major stores and online webstores, but is very overpriced compared to the imported US-version you can find elsewhere. For the rest you have to visit the local markets or you could also buy them online, imported of course, and they always have one "hacked" version and one "original" to sell of each system. If you buy a "hacked" console in the local market you can get any games you want for free, and you can come back and change your games whevever you want, for free. So if I were to buy a hacked PS3 they could fill up my HDD with 10 games for example, and when I am bored of them I just go back and they put in XX number of new games. And they pretty much always have every game available for you to get, and in all versions, JP, HK, US and EU. But they also sell original games as well, and the libraries are pretty decent, and prices are matched with HK/US prices, so the price are fair in my opinion.

PC games are more difficult to buy original, I guess one reason is that Steam has grown so big but has no influence/market in China. It's pretty much impossible to buy PC games on discs if they are not pirated, and as I mentioned above, there are Chinese services that are better than Steam with a larger library of and all is free.

Around the Network

brazil

nintendo left. It was almost dead here.
MS manufactures X360, and XBO here, and sony manufactures PS3. So PS4 is much more expensive.
X360 domination, the main cause was piracy.
CoD and fifa dominates everywhere.
Import taxes for gaming is higher than taxes for fire guns. So, the most expensive prices of consoles of the world are here.

In the US, there's mobile games everywhere! Lots of Angry Birds, Candy Crush, and 2048. At least, I see a lot of that when out and about.

Other than that, PC seems to be a bit (just a bit) more popular than consoles. It seems that PlayStation and Xbox are about 50:50. (Although there's a lot more Xbox ads here than anything else). Nintendo has declined quite a bit in this most recent generation.

Almost no handhelds to be found (replaced with smartphones and tablets, as mentioned above).

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

I totally agree with everything Raichu says. Everyone in the US views Nintendo as a big fatass joke and it's annoying as hell. If you tell someone that you mainly play Nintendo games, they act like you're a kid/you're incredibly immature and haven't grown up. But then everyone enjoys the fucking games when I force them to play it, so it pisses me off. Also, no one here knows shit about anything but GTA, Halo, FIFA, or COD. Anyone that I meet that does know anything about gaming is generally a freak. Weird, creepy, clingy, awkward, nasally voice, yada yada, the whole works. Oh, and no one knows what a Wii U is.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

I have disagreed with every fellow American on USA gaming to some degree. Not a very accurate thread I say.

Around the Network

Italian here.
Last gen it was all about the Wii, DS and PS3. The 360 never got the chance to shine - at least where I live - and the Xbone isn't doing that great either. My friends only play with either PS3/PS4 or PC right now. Nintendo isn't doing very well, I don't know anyone who owns a Wii U. Pretty sad since the games are considered to be pretty good here, at least between me and my friends.
But yeah, right now Sonydomination is doing its thing. The Nintendo section in every gamestop around where I live is kind of dead, and oh boy don't get me started on the Xbox.

Uk

Last gen was xbox 360. ps3 did ok. Wii was insanely popular for a few years then died. Ds was also huge with kids.

Now ps4 is huge. Alot of people jumping from xbox to ps4. xbox doing ok but not as well as ps. 3DS doing ok but nowhere near DS levels. Wii u pretty much dead, no one knows what it is still. Seems to be picking up a little but not much.

Mexico Nintendo it's not that big anymore in the console department but everyone loves smash and Mario kart. 3Ds on the other hand it's in better shape and Pokemon it's popular here. Xbox 360 it's the most popular console here I guess? PC gaming is small almost everyone that saw me playing on my PC told me if I had to emulate a Xbox 360 or what? Or if I just download de game from the internet. PS3 has some fans lately. FIFA COD GTA are popular. Most kids can't pass Super Mario level 1 ._. Gaming it's also a little expensive or you have to sell your soul to "coppel or stores where you pay with credit" games cost $999 pesos about $80 USD and consoles cost even more my Wii U cost mw like 480 USD a year after launch..... Amiibos are a pain in the ass to find them. Retro gaming is popular many people collect NES or N64 games. The demographic it's really divided most 18+ guys play all types of games and most teens and kids play COD FIFA GTA Minecraft..

chocoloco said:
I have disagreed with every fellow American on USA gaming to some degree. Not a very accurate thread I say.

Probably from a different region than the rest of us. I can only really speak for myself, in the Midwest. But cultures and demographics are very different in other areas, like the south, east coast, California, etc.

That would apply to other countries as well. One city isn't representative of everyone in the country... Unless that country is just one city, like Singapore. But even then, certain areas within the city can be different.

Like I said, I can only speak for myself, the people I know, and what I've seen.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Incubi said:
Teeqoz said:
Norway:

I think Norway might be the most Xbox friendly market in europe besides UK. The XBO is doing quite decently based on various anecdotes, although the PS4 is on top. Nintendo has a very small niche here (home console wise), mostly kids have Wii Us, of which there are few of (Wii U's).

PC gaming is catching on, but mostly together with a console. My explanation is that Norway is a very wealthy country, so a lot of people can afford both a console and a PC.

There are very few of the adult Nintendo fans that you can find in other parts of the world. I think the reason for that is that gaming here was, based on what I've heard, basically nonexistent before the PSOne, with the exception that the Commodore 64 was kinda popular here, and when gamimg started to catch on, Sony was dominating.

Handhelds are on a very steep decline here, before, all the kids I knew had DS's or Gameboys, now, 3DS's are nearly extinct.

Cod, GTA, Battlefield, FIFA. A little bit of Halo, a ton of Minecraft, a touch of AC.

All in all, I think Norway is very much like the UK as a gaming market.

I feel Norway right now is Sony land as far as console gaming go mainly because of FIFA. In my experience almost every single houshold seem to have a Wii and PS3 - with Wii being the party machine and PS3 being the FIFA machine. And thats about it. 

As for gaming in Norway only becoming a thing when PSOne hit, is false. With NES, SNES and Game Boy, Nintendo was everywhere during the 80's and 90's. If you where a kid growing up during the SNES era you'd feel enourmous pressure to own one. If you did'nt you where pretty much out. As i said before, it became so bad the norwegian government sued Nintendo for brainwashing children at the time.

What you got right is that every household has a PC. Just not a gaming PC. As for competitive gaming - whenever i go to fighting game tournaments, Super Smash Bros. seem to be by far the biggest game. Last i went Smash had more competitors than all the other games put together. MOBA's and SC2 seem to be what competitve PC gamers in Norway are into, atm, though. And, ofcource, smartphone gaming alongside Minecraft reigning supreme. 

When I talked about Nintedo I chose to ignore the Wii, as this is a thread about trends, Wii was quite clearly not the trend, and just a flash in the pan. I can't explain how you don't know a lot of people with xboxes, It's definetly doing well (the 360 did, the XBO is doing relatively well).

At your second paragraph, that's really interesting to hear, I really had no clue about that.

I'll just throw this out there, probably a way better representation than any of us could give using anecdotes.

http://www.dataspelsbranschen.se/media/135759/nordic_game_sales_2013.pdf