By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tell us about gaming in your country

I live in ye olde England and gaming here seems to be quite a mainstream, if not depressingly boring, in terms of gaming. Most people either own an xbox or a playstation and Cod/Fifa are the main orders of the day for most people.

On the other hand, you do get a dedicated, if small Nintendo following which really should be much bigger to be honest.

Delicious, delicious games.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Argentina

Game consoles are very expensive here so people pirate a lot. I don't justify it but that's how it is. People love Sony consoles and to a certain degree, Microsoft's consoles (mainly because the Xbox 360 was easy to pirate). Nintendo has a small niche over here.

Another thing that's worth to note... Nintendo consoles here come from North America (most of them) so they use 110v. Here we can't use that shit, we need 220v so we need to buy these "transformadores" (I have no idea how to say it in english!). They are not very expensive but you need one for the Wii U or the N3DS.

Overall I would say gaming isn't very big over here, the main games people look forward to are FIFA and Call of Duty. I really try to avoid piracy but in some cases I can't help it.

"Adaptors" maybe?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Anfebious said:
Argentina

Game consoles are very expensive here so people pirate a lot. I don't justify it but that's how it is. People love Sony consoles and to a certain degree, Microsoft's consoles (mainly because the Xbox 360 was easy to pirate). Nintendo has a small niche over here.

Another thing that's worth to note... Nintendo consoles here come from North America (most of them) so they use 110v. Here we can't use that shit, we need 220v so we need to buy these "transformadores" (I have no idea how to say it in english!). They are not very expensive but you need one for the Wii U or the N3DS.

Overall I would say gaming isn't very big over here, the main games people look forward to are FIFA and Call of Duty. I really try to avoid piracy but in some cases I can't help it.

"Adaptors" maybe?

No, he meant "Transformers". Those large bricks which usually come included with consoles and so on. They help to either increase or decrease the voltage.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

In Aus land I think the Xbox one Still has the reoccurring slight lead, the 360 was MASSIVE in Aus and it has continued surprisingly.

Mr.Playstation said:
Slarvax said:
Anfebious said:
Argentina

"Adaptors" maybe?

No, he meant "Transformers". Those large bricks which usually come included with consoles and so on. They help to either increase or decrease the voltage.

Exactly those! They don't come included with the consoles here though.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Norway
Playstatiom is king and PC-gaming is huge. Nintendo is below moderately popular, when i go to stores their shelf-space is sadly pretty pathetic. 3DS is far bigger than WiiU though. I have no idea how XBOX does in Norway. What i do know is that i know no one who actually owns a XBONE

Costa Rica

Gaming isn't a big thing here, anything that's not COD, FIFA or GTA doesn't really sell very well (if not at all), Nintendo is decently popular here though, which is somewhat strange if you compare to other countries, but Sony takes the majority of the market with MS taking the 3rd place. 

During the 7th gen, the Wii took a huge lead until the last few years of the gen when the PS3 (when it finally reached a good price) was probably the highest selling console here (this is purely my perspective, as far as I know, there are no sales numbers for Costa Rica). The 360 was very popular at the beginning of the gen, but it fell off later quickly.

For the current gen, MS 'suffers' a lot here (quotations because Costa Rica is such a small market that I highly doubt MS cares) I honestly only know 2 people that own an Xbox One, while a lot own a PS4 or Wii U (in some cases both). And 3DS is strangely very very popular here, a few years ago I barely saw anyone with a 3DS on the street, but recently it has become quite a common site.

PC is also very popular because well...piracy. Seriously, no Latin America country is safe from huge piracy. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Teeqoz said:
Norway:

I think Norway might be the most Xbox friendly market in europe besides UK. The XBO is doing quite decently based on various anecdotes, although the PS4 is on top. Nintendo has a very small niche here (home console wise), mostly kids have Wii Us, of which there are few of (Wii U's).

PC gaming is catching on, but mostly together with a console. My explanation is that Norway is a very wealthy country, so a lot of people can afford both a console and a PC.

There are very few of the adult Nintendo fans that you can find in other parts of the world. I think the reason for that is that gaming here was, based on what I've heard, basically nonexistent before the PSOne, with the exception that the Commodore 64 was kinda popular here, and when gamimg started to catch on, Sony was dominating.

Handhelds are on a very steep decline here, before, all the kids I knew had DS's or Gameboys, now, 3DS's are nearly extinct.

Cod, GTA, Battlefield, FIFA. A little bit of Halo, a ton of Minecraft, a touch of AC.

All in all, I think Norway is very much like the UK as a gaming market.

I feel Norway right now is Sony land as far as console gaming go mainly because of FIFA. In my experience almost every single houshold seem to have a Wii and PS3 - with Wii being the party machine and PS3 being the FIFA machine. And thats about it. 

As for gaming in Norway only becoming a thing when PSOne hit, is false. With NES, SNES and Game Boy, Nintendo was everywhere during the 80's and 90's. If you where a kid growing up during the SNES era you'd feel enourmous pressure to own one. If you did'nt you where pretty much out. As i said before, it became so bad the norwegian government sued Nintendo for brainwashing children at the time.

What you got right is that every household has a PC. Just not a gaming PC. As for competitive gaming - whenever i go to fighting game tournaments, Super Smash Bros. seem to be by far the biggest game. Last i went Smash had more competitors than all the other games put together. MOBA's and SC2 seem to be what competitve PC gamers in Norway are into, atm, though. And, ofcource, smartphone gaming alongside Minecraft reigning supreme. 

melbye said:
Norway
Playstatiom is king and PC-gaming is huge. Nintendo is below moderately popular, when i go to stores their shelf-space is sadly pretty pathetic. 3DS is far bigger than WiiU though. I have no idea how XBOX does in Norway. What i do know is that i know no one who actually owns a XBONE

Obviously you dont visit Nintendo's stronghold, the toy stores, much? :p

Croatia:
Mostly Sony; GTA, FIFA, PES sure but other games get a fair share of attention as well. PC still very strong; WoW, LoL, WoT, shooters, a lot of people playing online and local multiplayer. RPG and RTS/TBS very popular.

A lot of people still pirate, a lot order games online from UK or other parts of the world or buy the already imported. Xbox 360 didn't do too bad, probably due to price early in the gen and piracy.

Wii didn't do too shabby, but Nintendo is still looked at as kiddy by a good segment of the gaming population. Only one decent retail chain to buy WiiU games from that will actually restock good games. PlayStation and PC games sold pretty much everywhere. Prices are good, gaming journalism is strong and we have a gaming magazine in print which I dare say is one of the best in Europe.