By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

That one that Level 5 is doing seems neat. I'd love a Chrono Trigger HD on Wii U but yeah...

Around the Network

This is one area Nintendo is doing worse than necessary honestly. In terms of RPG IP, they have four that immediately come to mind: Pokemon, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade. There are also Last Story and Etrian Odyssey that I do believe are exclusive by contract or by partial ownership. Correct me if I am wrong on that. I think doing a Golden Sun game could be great and they could experiment with a more pseudo realistic style closer to, say, final fantasy (mostly talking character models and emphasis on close-up details) in order to create some visual diversity compared to other games on the system. I understand keeping the core Pokemon on handhelds, but perhaps creating a different style of Pokemon RPG with an active time battle system rather than standard turn based and with a more cohesive story focus and serious tone. Would be doubly great if the game also had connectivity of some sort with the handheld games. A new Mistwalker game would be good too, maybe picking up that Cry On title? Etrian Odyssey is kinda small though, even though the Wii U is perfect for that series. Fire Emblem could have a great entry, but FExSMT is already on the way. Personally, I think the FE IP could be a great one to expand with spinoffs that play differently, perhaps an open worldish game with a combination tactical and real time battle system, perhaps like Dragon Age Origins with more tactical focus. Just some ideas.

I feel like Wii U is going to have the best JRPG of the generation, Xenoblade CX looks like a truly classic.

And the Fire Emblem Crossover can be coming next year, so is not bad at all.

I can't wait to start Child of Light.
More RPG's won't hurt.

Nuvendil said:

This is one area Nintendo is doing worse than necessary honestly. In terms of RPG IP, they have four that immediately come to mind: Pokemon, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade. There are also Last Story and Etrian Odyssey that I do believe are exclusive by contract or by partial ownership. Correct me if I am wrong on that. I think doing a Golden Sun game could be great and they could experiment with a more pseudo realistic style closer to, say, final fantasy (mostly talking character models and emphasis on close-up details) in order to create some visual diversity compared to other games on the system. I understand keeping the core Pokemon on handhelds, but perhaps creating a different style of Pokemon RPG with an active time battle system rather than standard turn based and with a more cohesive story focus and serious tone. Would be doubly great if the game also had connectivity of some sort with the handheld games. A new Mistwalker game would be good too, maybe picking up that Cry On title? Etrian Odyssey is kinda small though, even though the Wii U is perfect for that series. Fire Emblem could have a great entry, but FExSMT is already on the way. Personally, I think the FE IP could be a great one to expand with spinoffs that play differently, perhaps an open worldish game with a combination tactical and real time battle system, perhaps like Dragon Age Origins with more tactical focus. Just some ideas.

Actually, an Etrian Odyssey would be a fantastic idea. The element of creating your own maps and exploring big dungeons could really use the gamepad in a creative way. Add more and bigger dungeons, 3D movement, a hubworld similar to Monster Hunter, a lot oc characters to choose from, online exploration with friends... It's sad the IP is so small and niche, it has small sales on the 3DS, bringing the game to the WiiU is probably too risquy.

I think Golden Sun will come to the N3DS or to the new system as a collection remaster. The franchise needs more attention before bringing a new installment.

Also, we need an Bethesda-like IP (like Fallout or Elder Scrolls) from Nintendo. Xenoblade X might be fantastic, but it's too niche. We'll have to see if Zelda U will cover this.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Festival of Magic looks like it has potential. Although to be honest, I'm guessing Xenoblade X is all you'll need. I've also got the 3DS remake preordered, which I've yet to play, so my RPG needs are covered for this year I think.

zippy said:
Is One piece Unlimited world red an RPG of some sort? Its reduced on the E shop, and im interested. Can anybody feed me any info or thoughts on this game?

I wouldn't call it a RPG. It's more of an action-adventure style game with some RPG-like character growth with three-character parties from the Straw Hat Pirates.  I like it, but don't go in expecting the console-sized version of Romance Dawn, which was a 3DS One Piece RPG.

Darwinianevolution said:
Nuvendil said:

Actually, an Etrian Odyssey would be a fantastic idea. The element of creating your own maps and exploring big dungeons could really use the gamepad in a creative way. Add more and bigger dungeons, 3D movement, a hubworld similar to Monster Hunter, a lot oc characters to choose from, online exploration with friends... It's sad the IP is so small and niche, it has small sales on the 3DS, bringing the game to the WiiU is probably too risquy.

I think Golden Sun will come to the N3DS or to the new system as a collection remaster. The franchise needs more attention before bringing a new installment.

Also, we need an Bethesda-like IP (like Fallout or Elder Scrolls) from Nintendo. Xenoblade X might be fantastic, but it's too niche. We'll have to see if Zelda U will cover this.

Actually, I think Xenoblade Chronicles X has the makings of a more mainstream title than the original Xenoblade.  It's a more conventional scifi style, which is mainstream.  It's open world with a lot of exploration, which is mainstream.  The only non-mainstream aspect - sort of - is really the battle system but I don't think that's that big of a deal.  The character models could be considered off putting to some, but then again Oblivion and Fallout 3 showed that that doesn't really cause many problems :P .  All told, I think Xenoblade Chronicles as it is now can be a pretty big deal.  Something more in the Bethesda vein would be good, but I think that Zelda U kinda already covers a lot of that. 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Mother 4

Did I mention that I love you?

badgenome said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Mother 4

Did I mention that I love you?

Loll, if Nintendo ever releases Mother 4, I would probably die of fapping too much cause I would be soo damn hyped!!!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850