By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Given the sales of the Wii U in Japan, I'm surprised there haven't been more RPGs announced for Wii U.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Loll, if Nintendo ever releases Mother 4, I would probably die of fapping too much cause I would be soo damn hyped!!!

Doubtful. If you could die of fapping too much you would have already.

Cobretti2 said:
Arguably the least represented genre?

I don't know about that.

Sports games are kind of missing....

That's why I said arguably. :P Horror games are also sparse. (which is why Fatal Frame needs to be localized)

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

vkaraujo said:

Isn't this coming for Wii U too? The name is Wonder Flick, from Level-5 (Pretty good dev in my opinion, Ni No Kuni was awesome)

Didn't know about that! Looks neat. I hope it's localized.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Loll, if Nintendo ever releases Mother 4, I would probably die of fapping too much cause I would be soo damn hyped!!!

Tbh, I have a feeling Nintendo has something in the works for the series. They did mention it at E3 in their robot chicken sketch, and so far everything they joked about has come true (new Star Fox, no new Mario for 2015). Whether it's just a remaster, a collection or a new entry, I have no clue.

Around the Network

Yeah, other than some titles on the eShop there has been a lack of many RPGs on the Wii U. Personally, I'd like to see a sequel to Last Story.

RolStoppable said:
Nuvendil said:

This is one area Nintendo is doing worse than necessary honestly. In terms of RPG IP, they have four that immediately come to mind: Pokemon, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade. There are also Last Story and Etrian Odyssey that I do believe are exclusive by contract or by partial ownership. Correct me if I am wrong on that. I think doing a Golden Sun game could be great and they could experiment with a more pseudo realistic style closer to, say, final fantasy (mostly talking character models and emphasis on close-up details) in order to create some visual diversity compared to other games on the system. I understand keeping the core Pokemon on handhelds, but perhaps creating a different style of Pokemon RPG with an active time battle system rather than standard turn based and with a more cohesive story focus and serious tone. Would be doubly great if the game also had connectivity of some sort with the handheld games. A new Mistwalker game would be good too, maybe picking up that Cry On title? Etrian Odyssey is kinda small though, even though the Wii U is perfect for that series. Fire Emblem could have a great entry, but FExSMT is already on the way. Personally, I think the FE IP could be a great one to expand with spinoffs that play differently, perhaps an open worldish game with a combination tactical and real time battle system, perhaps like Dragon Age Origins with more tactical focus. Just some ideas.

The Last Story was funded by Nintendo, so it's their IP. I've never read anything about Etrian Odyssey that suggested that Nintendo has any sort of ownership; aside from publishing the first game in Europe, Nintendo never had anything to do with it. The series is Nintendo-exclusive due to its design; drawing a map while you go through labyrinths only really works on a system that has two screens.

Thats possible on wii u

would make the gamepad very useful

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

artur-fernand said:

Nintendo home consoles haven't exactly been good consoles for RPG's since the N64 (which was absolutely abysmal on this aspect). So considering Xenoblade Chronicles X (which looks awesome as hell), Child of Light, the inevitability of a Paper Mario, Fire Emblem x SMT appearing someday and maaaaaybe a Crystal Chronicles someday, I'd say the Wii U is already in a confortable position =P

I wouldn't expect more than that though. Out of the big names, Dragon Quest is the one that would be most likely, but DQXI will either be a 3DS or a PS4 game (at least I'm fairly sure of it)

This sadly...

Albeit the 3DS is a great RPG system. The Nintendo Home consoles however suffer from an RPG definiancy since the N64 days. The Wii is sort of an expection, but still wouldn't even say it had the BEST RPGs in the seventh generation.

However combined with the Wii, Wii U, and eShop games, maybe that's enough to satisfy your taste.

I say these are the rgs wii u will have in the end
mass effect 3
xenoblade chronicles x
paper mario 5
fire emblem x shin megami tensei
sega exclusive
square excluisve
not a lot

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Depending on how you view rpgs, the wii-u will have the best library of any new gen system. Pier solar, citizens of earth plus zelda and xenoblade. xb4 pretty much just has dragon age. I think your argument with better suited towards modern gaming and not just the wii-u.