By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 50 Best Selling Games of all Nintendo systems in Japan

I must note that finding data for Nintendo 64 games is rather difficult, I have numbers of over one thousand PS1 games, but barely over 50 N64 games.

I pretty much worked with what I could find, nonetheless that top 50 might be incorrect in some parts.

Around the Network

galaxy 2 outsold galaxy 1

those crazy japanese mutants

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Wait... New Super Mario Bros wii outsold wii sports in Japan??

Wii sports wasn't bundled in Japan.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Wait... New Super Mario Bros wii outsold wii sports in Japan??

Wii sports wasn't bundled in Japan.

Yea but even then. Wii sports outsold almost everything else including Mario Kart wii! The fact that New Super Mario Bros managed to still outsell it by over 700k is still pretty cray cray

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

kljesta64 said:
galaxy 2 outsold galaxy 1

those crazy japanese mutants

Well it is better.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

Interesting to see that the last Zelda game to break over 1m sold was Ocarina of Time on N64, Phantom Hourglass is the closest its gotten since.

As fas as sales are concerned, Kirby became a bigger brand than Zelda in Japan.

Nice! Galaxy 2 sold more than Galaxy 1 too? Interesting.

Yep.

Hey everyone, just passing by with a little update for this thread.

So, I was unhappy with having this thread incomplete, so I got around doing some research to complete it with Famicom, Super Famicom and Game Boy data, it took some time, passing by through plenty of fansites, wikis and online message boards (some even in Japanese!) but I finally have a more complete archive.

First of all, I was only able to find data of the titles to sell over 1m copies on said systems, through most of my research I kept running into the same list of million sellers, so I decided to go with it as well, however as you may know that doesn't complete the top 50, so that's filled up with VGChartz's numbers.

Something interesting is that for the most part, VGC sales data was actually spot on with my findings, with some exceptions of course, so I decided to just filled it up taking it as fact, still VGC data is not entirely accurate, sometimes they have Japan sales data for games that weren't released in Japan and other times their numbers were really of (for example VGC has Mother 2 as 810k in Japan, it only did around 300k). So take the not million seller data of those systems with a grain of salt.

Will update 3DS' & NWU numbers (as well as the PlayStation version of this thread) in April, stay tunned.

Thread's been updated, lots of new data on old consoles.

Majora's Mask 3D joines 3DS' Top 30, its the only one, old games kept selling however, Smash, Yokai Watch and Pokemon are higher than before.

Mario Party, Kirby and Mario vs. Donkey Kong join WiiU's lackluster Top 50, the legs of Mario Kart 8 are impressive nontheless, it'll get to 1m before the next update.

Will update this thread again in 3 months.

Wii fit U actually sold 191k after it opened at 5k. How did that happen?

Also, those pokemon sales. Wow.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx