By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

Insidb said:
Skullwaker said:
My bad then. By taper I thought you meant it would drop off completely and not have any legs. 

I think a multiplat release would've done similarly to the original, maybe a little more. Which would've been great for Platinum, it's just a shame that SEGA didn't see the game's potential.

Which brings me back to my first point: it's always unfortunate to see a quality game not get the best opportunity for success. 

Forums require a lot of clarifications lol.

In that case, I definitely agree. :)

And yeah, you'd think typing your thoughts would allow for better communication, but it really doesn't. Lots of things get confused in the process, lol.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Conina said:
Skullwaker said:

In Bayo 1's first 9 weeks, across both platforms, it sold approximately 289,000 units, according to VGC. In Bayo 2's first 9 weeks (after aligning the launch in Japan with the rest of the world), it sold approximately 450,000 units (this is accounting for overtracking). This is also according to VGC along with NPD info.

So you align the launch in Japan with the rest of the world for Bayo 2 on WiiU but not for Bayo 1 on PS3?

Yeah, that sounds fair ;)

Lol oops. I thought those were WW sales. Accounting for the aligned sales of Bayo 1 on both platforms, Bayo 2 has sold about half of its sales. Which is still good, considering it's 1 platform vs 2 and a 9m install base vs 160m. In this case, Bayo 2 is outpacing the 360 version by a good margin, and is slightly behind the PS3 version. 

Assuming 135k for the US, and assuming sales are accurate for other regions, that would put sales for Bayonetta 2 around 421k at the end of 2014 (At least 10 weeks in every region).

The PS3 version, after 10 weeks, sold 490k combined in US, EU, and JP. The 360 version, by comparison, stood at 439k after 10 weeks (neither of these number, by the way, takes ROW into account [14% total sales for PS3 version and 9% for the 360 version]).

It's not doing awful, by comparison, but it hasn't outpaced either version of the original, and it's sales trend isn't looking any better.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:

Assuming 135k for the US, and assuming sales are accurate for other regions, that would put sales for Bayonetta 2 around 421k at the end of 2014 (At least 10 weeks in every region).

Just another comparison for that data:

PS3-Version of "Devil May Cry 4", early February 2008... similar game, similar install base (slightly over 9 million PS3s at this point), both M-rated

first 10 weeks without ROW = 930k (295k Japan, 357k US, 278k Europe), without the advantages holiday sales + exclusivity + impressive reviews

Conina said:
Mythmaker1 said:

PS3-Version of "Devil May Cry 4", early February 2008... similar game, similar install base (slightly over 9 million PS3s at this point)

first 10 weeks without ROW = 930k (295k Japan, 357k US, 278k Europe), without the advantages holiday sales + exclusivity

That reflects more, I think, the difference between IPs than anything else. Bayonetta was, and still is, a relatively new and somewhat controversial IP, whereas DMC is a fairly well-established franchise with an established fanbase.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Insidb said:
Skullwaker said:
Insidb said:
I actually think we are in agreement, as I don't disagree with any of your points. I would expect sales to taper, because software sales traditionally taper after launch (just like the launch of any media). I also think it will sell well over time. To touch upon the multiplatform, your point about the PS4 having an even larger install base only further emphasizes the point. If the previously mentioned Wolfenstein and Evil sold less on a system with a larger install base, then it's not crazy to scale up the sales in accordance with the X1 install base. Then, the PS4 has an even larger install base, which tends to skew more towards eastern gaming, like Bayo 2. While pure conjecture, it seems very much to be the case that a multiplat release (not a possibility) would have done very well. 

My bad then. By taper I thought you meant it would drop off completely and not have any legs. 

I think a multiplat release would've done similarly to the original, maybe a little more. Which would've been great for Platinum, it's just a shame that SEGA didn't see the game's potential.

Which brings me back to my first point: it's always unfortunate to see a quality game not get the best opportunity for success. 

IMHO this game is a unique case, the fact that Ninty had to even fund it in the first place tells me that it was never going to do well sales wise. It had literally everything against it. Still new IP, niche genre, niche system. Just be glad it was even made

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
The game is still 400k at worst, not that bad. We´ll see if seells another 400k on 2015, it´s possible.

lol if  it were out for other plataforms by now it would be like 4 million or even alot more, just saying ;)

I think Nintendo will get barely its investment back or probably not even that.

oniyide said:
Insidb said:
Skullwaker said:
Insidb said:
I actually think we are in agreement, as I don't disagree with any of your points. I would expect sales to taper, because software sales traditionally taper after launch (just like the launch of any media). I also think it will sell well over time. To touch upon the multiplatform, your point about the PS4 having an even larger install base only further emphasizes the point. If the previously mentioned Wolfenstein and Evil sold less on a system with a larger install base, then it's not crazy to scale up the sales in accordance with the X1 install base. Then, the PS4 has an even larger install base, which tends to skew more towards eastern gaming, like Bayo 2. While pure conjecture, it seems very much to be the case that a multiplat release (not a possibility) would have done very well. 

IMHO this game is a unique case, the fact that Ninty had to even fund it in the first place tells me that it was never going to do well sales wise. It had literally everything against it. Still new IP, niche genre, niche system. Just be glad it was even made

Yet...it did very well, especially considering it's limited market.

petroleo said:
Goodnightmoon said:
The game is still 400k at worst, not that bad. We´ll see if seells another 400k on 2015, it´s possible.

lol if  it were out for other plataforms by now it would be like 4 million or even alot more, just saying ;)

I think Nintendo will get barely its investment back or probably not even that.

Erm...

Conina said:

PS3-Version of "Devil May Cry 4", early February 2008... similar game, similar install base (slightly over 9 million PS3s at this point), both M-rated

first 10 weeks without ROW = 930k (295k Japan, 357k US, 278k Europe), without the advantages holiday sales + exclusivity + impressive reviews

Kind of unfair comparison, DMC was already a well stablished brand by then, with all its predecesors (even the awful DMC2) being hits.

petroleo said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Oh please, the first barely cracked 2 million across 170 million consoles.