By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

Skullwaker said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Bayonetta 2 had sold across all three platforms it would've sold rather well. Problem is it didn't and thats no fault of Nintendos. I just knew it wouldn't profit exclusive to any platform let alone Nintendo's. The only hack n slash that can survive exclusivity is God of War.

No doubt it would've sold more, but I really doubt it would've sold any more than standard multiplats. 

Though I do think Bayo 2 will be profitable in the end for Platinum & Nintendo, considering they reused assets from the original and developing for one platform costs less. Even if it ends up not being profitable, I'm just glad this game exists. It's better to have a great sequel flop than not have a sequel at all, and I highly doubt that Nintendo expected huge amounts of sales, especially considering the install base right now.

I am glad it is back as well. That was never my fear for this game. I am probably a bigger hack n slash fanatic than most on this site. Success came in one way but failure in another hand. Lets hope you're right and this game sells another two million.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
oniyide said:
Insidb said:
Skullwaker said:
Insidb said:
I actually think we are in agreement, as I don't disagree with any of your points. I would expect sales to taper, because software sales traditionally taper after launch (just like the launch of any media). I also think it will sell well over time. To touch upon the multiplatform, your point about the PS4 having an even larger install base only further emphasizes the point. If the previously mentioned Wolfenstein and Evil sold less on a system with a larger install base, then it's not crazy to scale up the sales in accordance with the X1 install base. Then, the PS4 has an even larger install base, which tends to skew more towards eastern gaming, like Bayo 2. While pure conjecture, it seems very much to be the case that a multiplat release (not a possibility) would have done very well. 

My bad then. By taper I thought you meant it would drop off completely and not have any legs. 

I think a multiplat release would've done similarly to the original, maybe a little more. Which would've been great for Platinum, it's just a shame that SEGA didn't see the game's potential.

Which brings me back to my first point: it's always unfortunate to see a quality game not get the best opportunity for success. 

Forums require a lot of clarifications lol.

IMHO this game is a unique case, the fact that Ninty had to even fund it in the first place tells me that it was never going to do well sales wise. It had literally everything against it. Still new IP, niche genre, niche system. Just be glad it was even made

Yet...it did very well, especially considering it's limited market.

you and i have a very different defintion of "well" agree to disagree

As I said previously, it outsold Wolfenstein and Evil Within on the X1, which I would consider selling "well."

KyleeStrutt said:

Kind of unfair comparison, DMC was already a well stablished brand by then, with all its predecesors (even the awful DMC2) being hits.

The developmental costs were also lower in the time of DMC. The first Bayonetta would've been profitable in the PS2 era.

Insidb said:

As I said previously, it outsold Wolfenstein and Evil Within on the X1, which I would consider selling "well."

Nope. Also its funny you're trying that hard to justify Bayonetta's low sales. Those games don't even have exclusive hype, released at a time when Xbox One had less units than Wii U and still outsold Bayonetta 2.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:

Nope

In that case, I'll accept your assessment: triple A titles sell poorly on the X1 and WiiU and only sell well on the PS4.

I guess, by extension, you are calling those the former two consoles failures. That's harsh, but I can understand your assertion.

Insidb said:

And as said you and I have a different defintions of what well is. Dont know why you brought up those two games as i wouldnt consider those to be doing well either.

Insidb said:
jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:

Nope

In that case, I'll accept your assessment: triple A titles sell poorly on the X1 and WiiU and only sell well on the PS4.

I guess, by extension, you are calling those the former two consoles failures. That's harsh, but I can understand your assertion.

Only if that were a true statement and you weren't cherry-picking. lol why bring up those games?? Why not compare Bayo 2 with another 3rd party exclusive that released at the same time and had much more competition?

oniyide said:
Insidb said:

And as said you and I have a different defintions of what well is. Dont know why you brought up those two games as i wouldnt consider those to be doing well either.

Previously in this thread, there was a discussion about the impact on its sales, due to it not being multiplatform. Someone cited 3 games (Those were 2 of them.) as examples of how it should not be expected to sell as well as a multiplat title. As it turns out, it outsold them on a console with smaller install base and that's ignoring the potential impact of PS4 sales (the console with the largest install base). The references were topically relevant.

jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:
jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:

Nope

Only if that were a true statement and you weren't cherry-picking. lol why bring up those games?? Why not compare Bayo 2 with another 3rd party exclusive that released at the same time and had much more competition?

I actually didn't bring them up or cherry pick, but you did fail to read the whole thread.