By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

Insidb said:
I actually think we are in agreement, as I don't disagree with any of your points. I would expect sales to taper, because software sales traditionally taper after launch (just like the launch of any media). I also think it will sell well over time. To touch upon the multiplatform, your point about the PS4 having an even larger install base only further emphasizes the point. If the previously mentioned Wolfenstein and Evil sold less on a system with a larger install base, then it's not crazy to scale up the sales in accordance with the X1 install base. Then, the PS4 has an even larger install base, which tends to skew more towards eastern gaming, like Bayo 2. While pure conjecture, it seems very much to be the case that a multiplat release (not a possibility) would have done very well. 

My bad then. By taper I thought you meant it would drop off completely and not have any legs. 

I think a multiplat release would've done similarly to the original, maybe a little more. Which would've been great for Platinum, it's just a shame that SEGA didn't see the game's potential.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Insidb said:
Yes, but a side-by-side comparison of sales figures just makes it look...bad. I'm commenting on the unfortunate reality of it only being on WiiU.

...How? Bayo 2 is outpacing the original, even when you combine the PS3 and 360 versions. And that's without considering that the original is said to be very overtracked to begin with.

Which figures are you using here? The ones on VGC don't seem to agree with that, and I'm having trouble finding any that do.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:
Skullwaker said:
...How? Bayo 2 is outpacing the original, even when you combine the PS3 and 360 versions. And that's without considering that the original is said to be very overtracked to begin with.

Which figures are you using here? The ones on VGC don't seem to agree with that, and I'm having trouble finding any that do.

In Bayo 1's first 9 weeks, across both platforms, it sold approximately 289,000 units, according to VGC. In Bayo 2's first 9 weeks (after aligning the launch in Japan with the rest of the world), it sold approximately 450,000 units (this is accounting for overtracking). This is also according to VGC along with NPD info.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
the_dengle said:

These figures are from NPD. They cut off at the end of December. It's, what, 9 weeks?

I don't know where you would have gotten 4 months from regardless since it hasn't been 3 months yet.

Four months referring to how long the game has been out. 

"Four months, five if you're in Japan." The period from October 24th to January 17th is fewer than 90 days. It is not even three months. The period from September 20th to January 17th is fewer than 120 days, not even four months.

Skullwaker said:

In Bayo 1's first 9 weeks, across both platforms, it sold approximately 289,000 units, according to VGC. In Bayo 2's first 9 weeks (after aligning the launch in Japan with the rest of the world), it sold approximately 450,000 units (this is accounting for overtracking). This is also according to VGC along with NPD info.

So you align the launch in Japan with the rest of the world for Bayo 2 on WiiU but not for Bayo 1 on PS3?

Yeah, that sounds fair ;)

Around the Network
Conina said:
Skullwaker said:

So you align the launch in Japan with the rest of the world for Bayo 2 on WiiU but not for Bayo 1 on PS3?

Yeah, that sounds fair ;)

Lol oops. I thought those were WW sales. Accounting for the aligned sales of Bayo 1 on both platforms, Bayo 2 has sold about half of its sales. Which is still good, considering it's 1 platform vs 2 and a 9m install base vs 160m. In this case, Bayo 2 is outpacing the 360 version by a good margin, and is slightly behind the PS3 version. 

Skullwaker said:

Lol oops. I thought those were WW sales. Accounting for the aligned sales of Bayo 1 on both platforms, Bayo 2 has sold about half of its sales. Which is still good, considering it's 1 platform vs 2 and a 9m install base vs 160m.

A 9m install base vs 70m (early 2010). ;)

Conina said:
Skullwaker said:

Lol oops. I thought those were WW sales. Accounting for the aligned sales of Bayo 1 on both platforms, Bayo 2 has sold about half of its sales. Which is still good, considering it's 1 platform vs 2 and a 9m install base vs 160m.

True. Doesn't change my point though. :P

Skullwaker said:
Insidb said:
I actually think we are in agreement, as I don't disagree with any of your points. I would expect sales to taper, because software sales traditionally taper after launch (just like the launch of any media). I also think it will sell well over time. To touch upon the multiplatform, your point about the PS4 having an even larger install base only further emphasizes the point. If the previously mentioned Wolfenstein and Evil sold less on a system with a larger install base, then it's not crazy to scale up the sales in accordance with the X1 install base. Then, the PS4 has an even larger install base, which tends to skew more towards eastern gaming, like Bayo 2. While pure conjecture, it seems very much to be the case that a multiplat release (not a possibility) would have done very well. 

My bad then. By taper I thought you meant it would drop off completely and not have any legs. 

I think a multiplat release would've done similarly to the original, maybe a little more. Which would've been great for Platinum, it's just a shame that SEGA didn't see the game's potential.

Which brings me back to my first point: it's always unfortunate to see a quality game not get the best opportunity for success. 

Forums require a lot of clarifications lol.

Conina said:
Skullwaker said:

You're right, but that's combined; we were talking about each system on its own. Thanks for this: I was curious about their respective install bases.