By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One back at $349 from tomorrow!

Greenbeans said:

You don't understand that they're making a loss. Selling a million consoles with $50 profit is more than selling 10,000,000 with a $20 loss. 

1. +50,000,000 dollars. 

2. -200,000,000 dollars. 

Simple math. 

Just because they're losing money with hardware doesn't equal overall loss and profit. You realize MS, Sony, Nin make majority of their profit from software right? Hardware has never been a big money maker for any console developer. 

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
Aj_habfan said:
Pretty transparent. Market something as a limited time deal in order to incite people to act fast, even though the move is intended to permanent.

The fact they decided to wait one week is hilarious though. I thought they would either not let the deal run out at all, or bring it back in a few months so they can advertise a "new permanent price drop". Wonder what the thinking was on that one.

That's exactly what I don't understand. Unless I'm missing something, I don't really follow the logic in it.

i think they never really wanted to go to 350 to begin with remember it was dropped to 400 first then they threw in 2 games which is pretty common for MS during the holidays but then they cut to 350 followed by additional cuts during BF and Dec deals which could get you the 2 game bundle for 280-330 multi discount deals in a matter of 2 months

it just looks like there pulling the trigger each time there sales arent better than the PS4s

what leads me to believe this is why announce it today when NPD releases showing a marginal 200k victory and taking effect tomorrow in order to win Jan ive never seen price cuts announced or take effect like that

they must of thought that sales would continue to be better or on par with the PS4 after jan 3, online trackers showed that they fell off right after the 25th of Dec despite the 350 tag resulting in yet another trigger pull

Play Me

Barenziah said:
this will be the stand alone though right,not with the 2 ac games or was that bundle always $399,i thought $399 with the 2 ac games was good

the 2 AC bundle was 350 for nov and dec it was announced and released for 399 around 10/15/14 but like what we are seeing now it was dropped 11/2/14 a mere two weeks later to 350

Play Me

Euphoria14 said:
chocoloco said:

Go America.  We win!!!

Team America opening song began playing in my head when I saw this post.

Not going to complain about cheaper products to ONLY Americans. Bahahaha!

BHR-3 said:
Barenziah said:
this will be the stand alone though right,not with the 2 ac games or was that bundle always $399,i thought $399 with the 2 ac games was good

the 2 AC bundle was 350 for nov and dec it was announced and released for 399 around 10/15/14 but like what we are seeing now it was dropped 11/2/14 a mere two weeks later to 350

if they're keeping the 2 ac bundle $350 permanent now then that will keep selling well,its a bargain

I smell like the dark forest of Dwemereth in the morning mist                                                   fanboy til i'm bankrupt

Around the Network
Dallinor said:

I'm a bit baffled by this move. Why did they not just make this offer a permanent extension to the holiday price? Why raise the price again for 8 days, confuse retailers and consumers, then drop the price again. If the aim was to keep customers buying in large numbers to take advantage of what was advertised as a short and limited sale period, why not on the very last day just release a statement along the lines of "Due to the incredible reaction from consumers to the new Xbox One price point, we have decided to continue to offer the console at this price point for NA consumers...etc". No strange price swings, and no annoyed customers to deal with.

Was this call really made in one week? Or is lowering, then hiking, then lowering again a vaild strategy?

This move also confirms what we knew already, MS are lazer focused on their home market and this is definitely the best move for them.

Also, to those insinuating that money is no concern to MS, this cut should and would have been the same worldwide if that were the case. They particularly need to try and generate some momentum in Europe.

It's just typical salesmanship.  I'm not a very cynical person, but XB1 marketing kind of deserves it.

It's possible they wanted to see the reaction to the price returning to $399 but let's face it, I think MS is smart and they knew what they were doing and what would happen with the price going up at a time with no big games releasing.

My 8th gen collection

Xbox one 200 USD for Holiday this year confirmed. Just keep it coming so people will wait the price until it goes cheaper.

Seece said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Seece said:

Do your research, from 08 onwards the Xbox division made profits (on year was as high as $1.3b with little else in the division making bank) it's not known if 360 overall made a profit, but for years the Xbox division was profitable.

You shouldn't bandie around quotes like that unless you can back them up with cold hard numbers.

want cold hard facts

then here you go

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129463-Microsoft-Loses-2-Billion-Per-Year-On-Xbox-Analyst-Says

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-07-huge-xbox-losses-hidden-by-patent-royalties-says-analyst

so much for the xbox division making profits since 2008

They're not cold hard facts, that's journalism (and it was debunked and shat on yonks ago). Come to me with numbers.

I actually have figures for that division and Xbox losing $2b a year is an impossibility.

Rock Sherlund does not like Xbox and has an axe to grind.

Its funny how they consistently keep digging up this lone journalist's (and many times debunked) article to try and prove that Xbox division was losing money (08 onwards) contrary to MS' own profit statements.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Good and expected news.
Now if they can drop EU price 100€ I might buy one.
Oh, and hopefully WiiU drops 100€ as well (for bayonetta)

Adinnieken said:
fireburn95 said:

Well I havent made it my life goal to study it in depth if thats what you mean

I just do know that ofcom and a couple other regulators/watchdogs do monitor unethical practices like this

OFCOM doesn't have anything to do with consumer regulation.  OFCOM, which is the equivalent to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), regulates and oversees the airwaves in the UK and ensures that offensive programming or fraudulent advertising is dealt with and kept off the airwaves.  OFCOM would be involved if Microsoft made a fraudulent claim or price in an advertment for the Xbox One.

For example, OFCOM is the government body in the movie "Pirate Radio"/"The Boat That Rocked" that attempted to stop the pirate radio station operating aboard the trawler off the coast of the UK. 

The Office of Fair Trading is the Britiish government agency that regulates consumer trade in the UK.  It would be the equivelent to the US Federal Trade Commision (FTC).  I can't locate anything that suggests that changing a price in the UK from one price, to another, than back again to another is illegal. 

I may be no expert, but increasing a price to very soon after decrease it and call it an offer, and advertised as such is regulated by OFCOM/CMA. They will make sure it is not advertised as such.

Afaik it is never 'illegal', it's an unethical business practice, and they usually notify them.