By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One back at $349 from tomorrow!

Slade6alpha said:
Greenbeans said:
Microsoft is pulling a Sega. They're losing money on the Xbox from selling it for less than what it costs to make. Just what Sega did with Dreamcast.

MS should just pull out if the console market next generation. They're losing money at it.

MS is in absolutely nowhere near Sega's position financially.

Correct. Sega makes profit. MS's Xbox branch doesn't. They could easily cut it off. 

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

I don't see why they'd drop the price otherwise.

They were getting facerolled in the most important market to them.

They had no choice. If they were losing $30-$50 per system at a pricepoint of $350, keeping up with the PS4 in America and keeping an air of postivity round the platform would be more than worth the losses. Losses which are to be padded out by massive 360 and Live Gold profits.

Well I mean more they couldn't have been losing money with the reduced pricepoint, be that through software sales or what have you. They may be making a small loss on the HW, but I really doubt they'd cut the price if it meant them making a loss overall just to keep in touch.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

shikamaru317 said:
DerNebel said:

In what world does NPD not count bundles?

As far as I know they count the hardware from bundles but not the software.

Even if that's the case, what's stopping MS of just combining the 2 anyway? Them being so genuine and honest with their PR?

Greenbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:
Greenbeans said:
Bravo, Xbox One. You needed to be cut 150 dollars in just over a year to sell well.

$50. Xbox One isn't bundled with Kinect anymore.

Pardon me. 

Bravo, Xbox One, you needed to cut 150 dollars of value to try to sell well. Cutting Kinect didn't work. Who says this will. XP

You're not gonna make many friends around here with snarky posts like these...

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

DerNebel said:
jlmurph2 said:
DerNebel said:

in the world of software sales. They don't count the bundled games as software sales.

Every other month we get leaks from Gaf, splitting up NPD sales of certain games into bundled and unbundled and now you're trying to tell me that NPD doesn't count bundled games? Seriously?

Nope, NPD doesn't count bundled software in their numbers. You can go to gaf and get leaks about numbers if you want but NPD Group does not count them.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

I don't see why they'd drop the price otherwise.

They were getting facerolled in the most important market to them.

They had no choice. If they were losing $30-$50 per system at a pricepoint of $350, keeping up with the PS4 in America and keeping an air of postivity round the platform would be more than worth the losses. Losses which are to be padded out by massive 360 and Live Gold profits.

Well I mean more they couldn't have been losing money with the reduced pricepoint, be that through software sales or what have you. They may be making a small loss on the HW, but I really doubt they'd cut the price if it meant them making a loss overall just to keep in touch.

I'm sure they had to lay out some cash to include two 3rd party games at no additional cost as well. No way those AssCreed bundles only lost money on the HW level, AssCreed Unity was a brand new $60 title when that bundle dropped. They could have been losing an initial $80-$100 per console before people purchased Live and/or more games.

This new $350 SKU, does it include games? If not then yes, it will have a small loss now and after a Live and/or game purchase that loss is negligable. It's a good move overall in my opinion. A move they HAD to make.

Edit - Considering the amount retailers pay per title, the loss likely wasn't $100 max, but more like $70.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Sony announces a TLOU bundle for $399.99, Microsoft permanently drops the price to $349.99, and Nintendo will most likely do nothing

DerNebel said:
shikamaru317 said:
DerNebel said:

As far as I know they count the hardware from bundles but not the software.

Even if that's the case, what's stopping MS of just combining the 2 anyway? Them being so genuine and honest with their PR?

Looks like software domination to me

jlmurph2 said:
DerNebel said:

Every other month we get leaks from Gaf, splitting up NPD sales of certain games into bundled and unbundled and now you're trying to tell me that NPD doesn't count bundled games? Seriously?

Nope, NPD doesn't count bundled software in their numbers. You can go to gaf and get leaks about numbers if you want but NPD Group does not count them.

NPD does count them, otherwise the leakers wouldn't have anything to leak, they apparently just don't count them in the top 10. But I already edited my previous post, the X1 sold more software even without the bundles, I was wrong.

thismeintiel said:
BHR-3 said:

ps4 will be on top in jan npd though

Yea, I think so, too.  This sudden reversal (or 180 ) on the price rise is very telling.  Seems sales dropped quite a bit since the rise.  I think Amazon makes it seem not so far apart, but that is only because Amazon has had it $15-$20 cheaper than anywhere else, so if you're going to buy one online they are the place to get it.

I'm also wondering if this will make a difference in the PS4 winning the following 9-10 months.  As in, will the XBO sales pick up enough on the slower months to pass the PS4, especially with all the exclusives coming out for the PS4 in the next few months, or will it follow a sales pattern closer to the Wii in its later years.  Sell ok during the first 9-10 months, but have really great sales during the holiday season.

noticed on the online trakers ps4 was close or ahead of xb1 after the 25th even though some retailers had xb1 at 330 vs 400 or 350 vs 400 leading me to believe that the high sales were more of a holiday thing or for consumers a buy cheap sell for high thing

i think it will make a diffrence in that sales will be closer to the ps4 in these 9 months more than last yr but wont have a better holiday if they dont go below 300 this yr im also skeptical on it passing the ps4 in US i dont see it happening ps4 will have a much better lineup compared to 2014 and a possible price cut imo its the ps4s holiday to lose

Play Me